DLC will have everything launch characters have- Seth Killian

#41zxelmanPosted 11/8/2012 2:47:51 PM(edited)
Chzrm3 never ceases to receive approval.

If only that sig wasn't clouding his rep.

Then again, that's part of who he is.
---
Official Toro of PlayStation All-Stars: Battle Royale Board
Steam & PSN: Xelorx
#42blaze19_0XPosted 11/8/2012 2:47:40 PM
Chzrm3 posted...
It's true that it takes a long time to make a character, but that doesn't mean they're holding characters out of the game. I think it's entirely possible that they just didn't finish them all by the deadline, and were faced with either delaying the game another couple months (which nobody wants, let's be honest), or putting the game out now and then finishing up those remaining characters and pushing them out as DLC.

Game development almost always takes longer than initially planned because of the QA process. We've seen first-hand how many iterations the beta of the game has gone through, ranging from UI changes to art assets like the exploding PS symbols to character balance. That all siphons time away from the juicy things like creating characters, but it's also very necessary for them to take care of the core game and make it functional.

Nobody wants the game to be delayed indefinitely, either. There's always more you can put into a game, because different teams work at different paces. Perhaps the art guys had made the background for another stage or the model for another character, but the programmers were bogged down with other stuff and just weren't there.

Either way, I think it's wrong to assume Superbot would hold out characters because all that does is make their initial game less impressive. This game's success isn't set in stone - it can very possibly fail. So if they had characters, especially big ticket characters like Crash or Cloud, and they intentionally withheld them for a month just to make some extra DLC, all they'd be doing is hurting their bottom line.

If it's about money, then leaving Crash or Cloud in the game is more money. Simply put, the game sells more copies and attracts more people with them in it. There's no sense in having $10 DLC for characters if nobody bought your game in the first place.

That's why I'm pretty sure that Superbot's being straight with us. You're right - they didn't start working on the DLC characters today. But there's no way they'd hold out some of the best characters if they were fully functional and ready to go, because that could easily sink the game and then this was all for nothing.

My thoughts exactly.

Which is why none of the Big 6 are likely going to be DLC characters.

I can sense the rage already by anyone expecting characters like Crash and Spyro to be DLC. Some people just never learn.
---
http://allstararena.com
Competitve Hub for Playstation All-Stars Battle Royale
#43McFordmansonPosted 11/8/2012 2:51:50 PM
Chzrm3 posted...
It's true that it takes a long time to make a character, but that doesn't mean they're holding characters out of the game. I think it's entirely possible that they just didn't finish them all by the deadline, and were faced with either delaying the game another couple months (which nobody wants, let's be honest), or putting the game out now and then finishing up those remaining characters and pushing them out as DLC.

Game development almost always takes longer than initially planned because of the QA process. We've seen first-hand how many iterations the beta of the game has gone through, ranging from UI changes to art assets like the exploding PS symbols to character balance. That all siphons time away from the juicy things like creating characters, but it's also very necessary for them to take care of the core game and make it functional.

Nobody wants the game to be delayed indefinitely, either. There's always more you can put into a game, because different teams work at different paces. Perhaps the art guys had made the background for another stage or the model for another character, but the programmers were bogged down with other stuff and just weren't there.

Either way, I think it's wrong to assume Superbot would hold out characters because all that does is make their initial game less impressive. This game's success isn't set in stone - it can very possibly fail. So if they had characters, especially big ticket characters like Crash or Cloud, and they intentionally withheld them for a month just to make some extra DLC, all they'd be doing is hurting their bottom line.

If it's about money, then leaving Crash or Cloud in the game is more money. Simply put, the game sells more copies and attracts more people with them in it. There's no sense in having $10 DLC for characters if nobody bought your game in the first place.

That's why I'm pretty sure that Superbot's being straight with us. You're right - they didn't start working on the DLC characters today. But there's no way they'd hold out some of the best characters if they were fully functional and ready to go, because that could easily sink the game and then this was all for nothing.

This guy is smart.
---
Official Big Daddy of the PSASBR Board.
#44blaze19_0XPosted 11/8/2012 2:53:25 PM
I hope you people realize his main point was that Snake, Crash, Spyro etc. are not likely to be DLC at all. They just couldn't get the rights. That's why there are nowhere to be found, not because they withheld them to be DLC.
---
http://allstararena.com
Competitve Hub for Playstation All-Stars Battle Royale
#45rumbalumbaPosted 11/8/2012 3:13:22 PM
Chzrm3 posted...

and it's entirely possible that they are withholding content. look at expansion packs 10 years ago. as you have said, because of the time and effort to make them, it took the dev teams 6 months to a year to release them. meanwhile now we get DLC within a month, or 3 months. dev teams back then TRULY worked after they finished their games, and that's why we got that long of a timeframe between expansion packs and launch date. if you're telling me that they worked on the highly-requested characters the last, then that's bollocks.

no we didn't. the first beta was already months old when we it was publicly released. so that UI change from the first to the 2nd beta most likey has already happened before the first beta even went public. also, as i've said, you create characters in the beginning of the project. that UI changes was 2 years into the project. no one is gonna start a character from scratch at that stage in the game development. so "putting in content" in the alpha stage would most likely be mash-ups or a new item or something, NOT a character. creation of characters and stages isn't that easy, and is definitely not added 12 months before the game gets released.

wrong. and here's why. SuperBot has not entirely hurt their bottom line because most characters are indeed All-Stars. Drake, Kratos, Jak, Ratchet, etc. SuperBot has used this opportunity to make it possible that other highly-requested characters be made DLC.

let's say people aren't gonna buy this game because there's no Crash. if that were the only reason, then having Crash as DLC will ultimately increase sales.

and it makes sense. which one do you think would yield more revenues? putting Crash, Snake in alongside Drake and Kratos, then make Big Daddy as DLC? the game will sell well, but probably 20% will only buy DLC if Fat Princess or Big Daddy are the DLc characters. now, what about putting Big Daddy alongside Drake? you wouldn't sell as much, but introducing Cloud, Snake, and Crash will then sell BOTH DLC and the game in the holiday season. that would definitely yield more revenue.

and yes, SuperBot is taking a risk on that chance, but that's ultimately better than having everything in a $60 disc and charging Fat Princess as DLC which no one will buy. instead, you minimize that risk by including the other big guns such as Drake, putting some shoe-in characters like Fat Princess, then making Crash as DLC. that way, you get people to spend $60 on characters that they wouldn't have otherwise spent their money on, and you get a very high possibility of the game selling more because of DLC. and that's a better, more efficient strategy. this game is going against big time releases, and having the DLC release this holiday makes it more probably that this game will sell on December than it will this November come launch.
#46zxelmanPosted 11/8/2012 3:19:27 PM
I don't know about you rumba, but while DLC is likely however the game turns out, I believe they would've wanted more money from the get-go.

There are always characters that people will want, and even then, balancing is not something easily done even in two years, let alone with more characters. We're all being presumptuous here though as it's not likely we can think that all companies are single-minded, nor do we know if they could even get the licensing.
---
#47AnomalycadPosted 11/8/2012 3:19:35 PM
Chzrm3 posted...

Crash and Cloud are not considered the best characters because they are NOT first party characters from Sony. The game will be a success without Crash or Cloud because it's Playstation's version of Smashbros, it already has iconic characters in there that are big franchises, and plus many fans were looking forward to this game with those characters.

Considering a lot of people are requesting Crash and Cloud namely those who are fans of them, they would actually make more with them as DLC as compared to if characters like Fat Princess, or Evil Cole as DLC... Less people would care for them as DLC characters, but more people would care for Crash and Cloud as DLC.

As of right now, we don't know if this will be paid or free DLC characters because this hasn't been confirmed so why are we quick to assume.
#48ManuKesnaPosted 11/8/2012 3:19:50 PM
cant wait for DLC!
---
PSN: Manu-Kesna
GT: ManuKesna
#49rumbalumbaPosted 11/8/2012 3:28:23 PM(edited)
zxelman posted...
I don't know about you rumba, but while DLC is likely however the game turns out, I believe they would've wanted more money from the get-go.

There are always characters that people will want, and even then, balancing is not something easily done even in two years, let alone with more characters. We're all being presumptuous here though as it's not likely we can think that all companies are single-minded, nor do we know if they could even get the licensing.

i wouldn't know about that. they can't have more money from the get-go because AC3 just got released, CoD is coming out, Hitman also comes out the same day, and Wii U will come out 2 days prior launch.

if they put in all of their eggs in one basket come November, it still won't be enough.

having the big guns as DLCs come December will bring in more game sales, plus DLC sales. if the reason many people won't buy the game because Crash isn't in, then that reason won't be there anymore if Crash makes it as DLC. and it is December, which means people will most likely brush off the extra $4.99 charge on top of the $60 because "it's that time of the year".

so, come December, those lost sales because Crash or Cloud or Snake not being in will be gained, plus them coming as DLC means people will be spending at least $70. and that's more efficient. why? if anyone says they won't be buying the game because of no Crash, they're not gonna change their opinions on Crash in a month anyway. assuming lost sales are from people unhappy with the roster, chances are a month later they still want Cloud going against Nathan Drake and that Christmas DLC will them bring all those "lost sales" aboard the Battle Royale cash ship, plus more because they'll now be paying $70.
#50zxelmanPosted 11/8/2012 3:31:57 PM
rumbalumba posted...
zxelman posted...

i wouldn't know about that. they can't have more money from the get-go because AC3 just got released, CoD is coming out, Hitman also comes out the same day, and Wii U will come out 2 days prior launch.

if they put in all of their eggs in one basket come November, it still won't be enough.

having the big guns as DLCs come December will bring in more game sales, plus DLC sales. if the reason many people won't buy the game because Crash isn't in, then that reason won't be there anymore if Crash makes it as DLC. and it is December, which means people will most likely brush off the extra $4.99 charge on top of the $60 because "it's that time of the year".

so, come December, those lost sales because Crash or Cloud or Snake not being in will be gained, plus them coming as DLC means people will be spending at least $70.

Pretty logical.

But gamers don't get "stuffed" all too easily. I remember when most of my friends would buy a lot of games day 1 at full price, but lately I've just been seeing people waiting for ways to buy it cheaper or used.

Bottom line is, if you can hype people enough to make them pay full price on day 1, it's more profitable than people buying the game used, which you don't get profit from by the way, even if you can make them pay at least $10 on an online code (which people despise) and some more for DLC, which is only an option.
---