The story mode is more disappointing than I ever imagined

#1DarkECOJakPosted 11/15/2012 9:57:11 PM
After watching IGN's live playthrough of Ratchet's story, I couldn't believe the minimal effort they put forth into the story mode. Seriously, for such a big-budget game they sure phoned this in. Luckily the gameplay is so solid and fun that it's not deterring my excitement for the game itself. But I was seriously looking forward to something just a LITTLE more in-depth than this.

For those who don't know what I'm talking about, each character's story begins with voiceovers introducing their tale alongside a... wait for it... STATIC IMAGE OF THE CHARACTER REPLAYED OVER AND OVER! Yeah, fully voice acted but no animation or movement whatsoever. Just still images. Next I realized there was no progression and no rhyme or reason to why you're being matched up against all the other fighters. No one asks questions, it just happens randomly in random stages.

But the icing on the cake was the rivalry cutscene with Jak. Not only was there barely any excuse to coax them into a fight, the fact that these cutscenes will more than likely be shared between the two characters for both story modes means there will pretty much only be 10 animated scenes throughout the entirety of the game lasting roughly 20 seconds each. Basically less than 3 minutes worth of original footage for the whole game. Unless there is one specified for Polygon Man, but even so it'd probably be the same for all characters. This will hold true even for DLC character because they will not be getting cutscenes when they are released.

I was worried the game's story was going to be treated like Dissidia. Horrible fanfic-style writing and meaningless conversations serving little to no purpose. But at least Dissidia had plenty of cutscenes to at least make it somewhat enjoyable. Hell, Street Fighter IV had more than this. I'll still be getting the game right away, but damn, Superbot.
---
Love Mystery Science Theater? Check out ROFL@TheMovies! http://www.youtube.com/user/ROFLatTheMovies?feature=mhee
#2blaze19_0XPosted 11/15/2012 10:00:53 PM(edited)
Street Fighter doesn't have longer cutscenes than this and in the video they quit before we saw the ending cutscene after defeating your rival. That doesn't include the cutscene after Polygon Man either if there is one.

Also LOL @ story modes in fighting games. They've been saying from the start that it's just a traditional arcade mode, nothing special. What were you expecting? It was never meant to be a story mode.
---
http://allstararena.com
Competitve Hub for Playstation All-Stars Battle Royale
#3SOLDIER_BankaiPosted 11/15/2012 9:59:38 PM
They said DLC characters will get everything the base 20 do. There's a reason Kat and Emmet are being released together. We also don't know if there's ending scenes to the rivalry fights.
#4bartz90Posted 11/15/2012 10:00:04 PM
Yeah, seeing that static image did disappoint me.
---
-
#5SelitePosted 11/15/2012 10:00:08 PM
You know hype leads to dissapointment?

Don't get so hyped.
---
The only way the upcoming Deadpool film will work is if right at the start they have the real Deadpool kill that freakish experiment from Wolverine Origins.
#6ChocoboDreamsPosted 11/15/2012 10:00:14 PM
I agree it's disappointing, but I've been expecting this for months now, ever since it was common knowledge that the "story mode" would just be an Arcade mode with an ending. They could have done a lot more with that I think.
---
I just want Card Sagas Wars. Seriously, I'd do anything, just give me Card Sagas Wars. Please.
PSN:ChocoboDreams
#7G-ScythePosted 11/15/2012 10:01:39 PM
it's honestly pretty much the same as a lot of other fighting games

though i do agree the Jak/Ratchet rival cutscene didn't live up to hype

I mean with Daxter, they have so much potential to start arguments, and he wasnt even the one who started it...
---
Not changing this sig until I get bored of it - started 8/11/2011
#8EtroAnimePosted 11/15/2012 10:04:00 PM
I honestly don't care about what kind of concoction of a story they came up with I just wan't to play the damn game. But I guess you can't listen to me much because I logged a butt load of hours into SSBB and damn near unlocked everything and never touch Subspace Emissary, seriously.
---
Waiting for: PlayStation All-Stars & Ni no Kuni
PSN ID: Rammel29
#9blaze19_0XPosted 11/15/2012 10:06:33 PM(edited)
Also since I compare this game so much to Smash.....Smash's arcade mode for all 3 games has never had cutscenes, stories or any motive for each individual character or even rival battles. Every run through with every character is pretty much exactly the same.

And I repeat, to prevent spoilers he ended the battle before we could see the rival cutscene AFTER beating your rival. You forgot about that. I'm sure that one would be longer.
---
http://allstararena.com
Competitve Hub for Playstation All-Stars Battle Royale
#10ChocoboDreamsPosted 11/15/2012 10:08:56 PM
Etroanime posted...
I honestly don't care about what kind of concoction of a story they came up with I just wan't to play the damn game. But I guess you can't listen to me much because I logged a butt load of hours into SSBB and damn near unlocked everything and never touch Subspace Emissary, seriously.

Subspace Emissary, from a gameplay perspective, may have indeed sucked; but the true beauty of it laid in seeing all these different characters from different universes interact with each other. Subspace Emissary is worth it for the cutscenes alone. This kind of interaction, I feel, is important for crossover games like this (and that includes Marvel vs Capcom). It's a major selling point for games like this for me, and it's always disappointing when a developer overlooks that appeal to focus exclusively on making a game "tournament-worthy".
---
I just want Card Sagas Wars. Seriously, I'd do anything, just give me Card Sagas Wars. Please.
PSN:ChocoboDreams