The story mode is more disappointing than I ever imagined

#41SantaeidPosted 11/16/2012 7:32:26 AM
They will probably expand the story mode in a second game if this sells enough. I imagine that most of the development time went to programming the mechanics of a game. With a sequel they just have to tweak whatever issues there may be, improve graphics, add the ability to hit someone off stage, and then they could add more to the story mode.
---
If you like playing games for fun & don't care for KDR then come join my clan. Where peps like u and me can hangout and have fun. http://hobos.comze.com
#42Evolution_basicPosted 11/16/2012 9:44:18 AM
blaze19_0X posted...
Street Fighter doesn't have longer cutscenes than this and in the video they quit before we saw the ending cutscene after defeating your rival. That doesn't include the cutscene after Polygon Man either if there is one.

Also LOL @ story modes in fighting games. They've been saying from the start that it's just a traditional arcade mode, nothing special. What were you expecting? It was never meant to be a story mode.

Street Fighter also has double the roster count and an infinitely more in depth fighting system. Tough to compare.
---
-------
A lover and a retired fighter. The grizzled veteran of gaming.
#43blaze19_0XPosted 11/16/2012 9:52:03 AM(edited)
Evolution_basic posted...
blaze19_0X posted...
Street Fighter doesn't have longer cutscenes than this and in the video they quit before we saw the ending cutscene after defeating your rival. That doesn't include the cutscene after Polygon Man either if there is one.

Also LOL @ story modes in fighting games. They've been saying from the start that it's just a traditional arcade mode, nothing special. What were you expecting? It was never meant to be a story mode.

Street Fighter also has double the roster count and an infinitely more in depth fighting system. Tough to compare.

SF is also the 4th major installment in the series not including countless upgrades, spinoffs and the alpha series, made by one of the largest game producers out there vs a new IP from a company just recently formed.

I wouldn't call SF's system infinitely more in depth than this either, and I play SF4:AE competitively. It's just a different kind of depth.

Oh and it's been re-released and upgraded two times now. From SF4-SSF4-AE.

So yes, I suppose we shouldn't compare.
---
http://allstararena.com
Competitve Hub for Playstation All-Stars Battle Royale
#44CyborgTwentyPosted 11/16/2012 9:47:33 AM
Evolution_basic posted...
blaze19_0X posted...

street fighter is also on it's 100th game.
#45NewMoonShadowPosted 11/16/2012 9:55:02 AM
LuminescentRule posted...
Fighting games in general don't lend themselves well to any compelling story, since everyone has to have a reason to fight everyone else. But its possible in regular fighters, since the cast is designed to each have different reasons. For crossover fighters though its worse, as most of the time there are several heroes who wouldn't fight each other, they generally don't have any connections among each other, and nothing that happens in the game can have any real consequence. Thus you get cutscenes with dumb misunderstandings that lead to people trying to kill each other.

Which is exactly why it isn't hard to make interesting interactions between the characters. Kratos slapped an ice cream cone off of Sweet Tooth hand and that's why they're fighting? WTF? All the similarities that these 2 characters have and that's all they could come up with?

Obviously they were going for silliness and humor in this game more than anything, after all, it's kind of a silly concept with silly characters. All the rivalries we already knew about involved something silly happening (Toro making fun of Heihachi's age, Little Sister hugging Sackboy like a doll and enraging Big Daddy), it's no surprise that Kratos/Sweet Tooth is something equally silly.

This may be why Team Ico said no to Ico or Wander being in. Silliness doesn't seem like their style at all.
#46StaticnovaPosted 11/16/2012 9:58:09 AM
NewMoonShadow posted...
LuminescentRule posted...
Fighting games in general don't lend themselves well to any compelling story, since everyone has to have a reason to fight everyone else. But its possible in regular fighters, since the cast is designed to each have different reasons. For crossover fighters though its worse, as most of the time there are several heroes who wouldn't fight each other, they generally don't have any connections among each other, and nothing that happens in the game can have any real consequence. Thus you get cutscenes with dumb misunderstandings that lead to people trying to kill each other.

Which is exactly why it isn't hard to make interesting interactions between the characters. Kratos slapped an ice cream cone off of Sweet Tooth hand and that's why they're fighting? WTF? All the similarities that these 2 characters have and that's all they could come up with?

Obviously they were going for silliness and humor in this game more than anything, after all, it's kind of a silly concept with silly characters. All the rivalries we already knew about involved something silly happening (Toro making fun of Heihachi's age, Little Sister hugging Sackboy like a doll and enraging Big Daddy), it's no surprise that Kratos/Sweet Tooth is something equally silly.

This may be why Team Ico said no to Ico or Wander being in. Silliness doesn't seem like their style at all.

This. Silliness is clearly the theme.
---
Awaiting: Bioshock: Infinite, The Last of Us, GoW:A, Playstation All-Stars, Amnesia: AMFP, NS: UNS 3
Playing: ACIII
#47TerotrousPosted 11/16/2012 10:15:58 AM
Having just watched both the intro and rival cutscene on youtube, they're totally fine by fighting game standards. Keep in mind most fighters have either nothing or a purely text based intro / rival conversation. Even to get voice acting is a step up in most cases.

Light spoilers included below:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YNJq_VXToPM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g0VqGYqZ_9U

Those are the videos if anyone else wants to see them.
---
http://terosclassicgaming.blogspot.com/ - Watch me beat "GEN Alien Soldier"
http://www.backloggery.com/tero - My backloggery
#48SSBR10Posted 11/16/2012 10:25:27 AM
Really, I like how they handled the story. I like the intro and rival cutscene for Ratchet and it's something I would definitely want to see for the other characters.

I don't see what's the fuss about. Making a story mode like Brawl's SSE or MK9's story takes a heck of a lot of work that not all companies can do so it's kind of silly to keep expecting that. Having doing it the way this game and SFIV does it is more simpler. At least it's still a way to show how all of the characters are involved.

There's also a difference between pairing up similar characters and giving them reasons to fight so people need to stop fussing over that and quit taking things too seriously. It's good to add some humor to this game.
---
Little Mac, Mega Man, Travis Touchdown for Super Smash Bros. 4.
Street Fighter x Mortal Kombat, Shonen Jump vs. Capcom please.