Your opinion on stories in fighters/brawlers

#1zxelmanPosted 11/17/2012 5:47:35 PM
How do you feel about the implementation on stories in fighting games? - Results (54 votes)
It's necessary. Especially if it is a crossover, there needs to be more interaction.
14.81% (8 votes)
It's nice to have a story as long as it doesn't take too much resources away from the rest of the game.
48.15% (26 votes)
I'm playing this game to play as my favorite character against other people's favorites. Story mode is just an extra.
24.07% (13 votes)
I'm just here for the gameplay.
5.56% (3 votes)
Not another "story" topic..
5.56% (3 votes)
Other. (List in your post)
1.85% (1 votes)
This poll is now closed.
I'm seeing many story complaints. So it would be nice to see a condensed general opinion.
---
Official Toro of PlayStation All-Stars: Battle Royale Board
Steam & PSN: Xelorx
#2Nik_NackPosted 11/17/2012 5:49:43 PM
I'm mainly focused on the gameplay. That said, if a game like this has a story, and doesn't take away from the other stuff, I'm fine.
---
Sent from my iPod touch via PowerFAQs 1.10
#3Chzrm3Posted 11/17/2012 6:13:55 PM
Like you said, it's nice to have as long as it doesn't take away resources.

I'm pretty sure they always do, though. Brawl probably would've had a few more stages and at least 1 or 2 more characters if not for SSE. There are files for Dixie, Tetra, and a few more characters in the game.

Understandably, making a full story mode and making all the models for those enemies/bosses soaks up a lot of time that could be invested in characters.

If I had to make a trade I'd trade SSE for Dixie in a heartbeat, but that's because it's years later and a story mode does nothing for me in a fighting game after I've beaten it. The answer may have been different for millions of Smash fans before they played SSE, and with better execution that really could've been something special.

SSE didn't lack for resources, it just wasn't well thought-out. The decision to have none of the characters talk, even though some of them (The Star Fox and Fire Emblem cast in particular) have always been very chatty, just didn't make sense. It wasn't true to form, and as a result it really made the entire thing feel like a puppet show more than what we were hoping for.

Brawl and PSASBR both have "disappointing" story modes. I guess the key difference is that PSASBR's hardly took time away from anything, whereas SSE's took a lot.

If it's going to take that much, it'd better be good. But if it's not, then it's fine.

Sorry, I feel like it took me a while to get to that point. XD
---
If I haven't mentioned Trivio in my post, it's because she is so beautiful and precarious that I just wanted to show her how much she means to me.
#4zxelman(Topic Creator)Posted 11/17/2012 6:18:40 PM
Pretty much feel the same way.

Character interactions are really neat, but cinematics are only fun to look at for a few times. More time spent in the gameplay would have me coming back more. Story mode for me will only be played once, and then I'm done. Don't even care if trophies are involved.
---
Official Toro of PlayStation All-Stars: Battle Royale Board
Steam & PSN: Xelorx
#5Ray Ledgend 46Posted 11/17/2012 6:22:22 PM
Story mode's not a bad thing in fighters in and of itself, but, like in any game, if it's there it has to be done well. The problem is, so few fighters actually do their story modes well. It's not a necessity in this genre, but it can be a cool feature.
---
Pokemon Info: 3482 5724 5911, Name John. This and all of my other Friend Codes are in my profile.