What is the reason for there being NO RPG characters?

#51Dragongreen547Posted 11/17/2012 10:27:49 PM
INFAMOUS.
---
She got it, you got it, I got it, we got it.
#52LuminescentRulePosted 11/17/2012 10:28:15 PM
squirrel_boy posted...
LuminescentRule posted...
squirrel_boy posted...
Jak, Sly and Ratchet aren't platformers.

well what would you define them as?

Jak and Ratchet are closer to shooters. Sly has auto-platforming so it can't be a platformer.

closer to but arent. theyre still platformers. and jak 1 had no shooter anything

Nopes. They are shooters - they even use guns in PSASBR. Jak 1 may be a platformer but it's been a shooter more often.
---
Sent from my iPhone via PowerFAQs 1.10
#53rumbalumbaPosted 11/17/2012 10:30:25 PM(edited)
Chzrm3 posted...
rumbalumba posted...
squirrel_boy posted...
theres also no puzzle game characters but i dont see why people think that every genre of game needs to represented

what genre has dominated the PS1, PS2, and PSP?

Platformers?

Unless by "dominated" you mean "a bunch of niche fan groups played these games."

Look, I loved Dark Cloud, but I'm not going to pretend it dominated anything. The only game series that can make that claim is Final Fantasy, and you obviously need to go through Square to get a character from them.

The vast majority of RPGs were enjoyed by small fanbases. That's about as "dominant" as they got.

a bunch of niche groups? rofl. don't make me laugh.

and? the vast majority of platformers were enjoyed by dozens of millions? rofl.

fact is there are more RPG games than there are platformers. unless you actually think those sales from dozens and dozens of RPGs come from the same people all the time (which is a stupid assumption), then yes more peopel have played RPGs than they have platformers.

if anything, it should be the other way around. there's only a number of platformers, and their sequels. it's safer to assume that those platformers are the ones that were boguht by the same people over and over, since most are sequels anyway.
#54Dragongreen547Posted 11/17/2012 10:29:12 PM
squirrel_boy posted...
squirrel_boy posted...

Jak and Ratchet are closer to shooters. Sly has auto-platforming so it can't be a platformer.

closer to but arent. theyre still platformers. and jak 1 had no shooter anything

Nopes. They are shooters - they even use guns in PSASBR. Jak 1 may be a platformer but it's been a shooter more often.

Yep. It is very similar to shooters like CALL OF DUTY.
---
#55Shadow2790xPosted 11/17/2012 10:29:39 PM
INFAMOUS
---
...You will be screaming: YES! YES! YES!
PSN: Shadow2790x --- "Has a nice ring to it, don't you think?"
#56Chzrm3Posted 11/17/2012 10:30:24 PM
squirrel_boy posted...

You've never played the original Jak - there wasn't a single gun in the original, it was a pure platformer in the veins of Mario 64.

Even when they introduced guns in Jak 2, there was still a primary emphasis on platforming, with a secondary emphasis on racing. Shooting was an addition meant to give you more attacking options.

The J/D games aren't shooters any more than DK 64 was a shooter. XD "Oh they gave DK a coconut gun, it's a shooter"
---
If I haven't mentioned Trivio in my post, it's because she is so beautiful and precarious that I just wanted to show her how much she means to me.
#57squirrel_boyPosted 11/17/2012 10:30:27 PM
Yea FF is really the only popular rpg on playstation and most of them arent even ps exclusive.

btw darksiders is not an rpg and pinkydink is the only one who thinks it is
#58Dragongreen547Posted 11/17/2012 10:31:01 PM
INFAMOUS.
---
#59LuminescentRulePosted 11/17/2012 10:33:11 PM(edited)
PS1:

Final Fantasy
Xeno saga
Chrono Cross
Vagrant Story
Arc The Lad
Suikoden
Lunar
Grandia
Tales Of
Legend of Dragon
Dragon Quest
Breath of Fire
Saga Frontier
Wild Arms

---
Sent from my iPhone via PowerFAQs 1.10
#60GuitaristMattPosted 11/17/2012 10:36:12 PM(edited)
Why can't you guys just PM each other!
---
"Fools set the rules in this world. Just take a look around. It's Undeniable."
Self Proclaimed Matt of your board