What is the reason for there being NO RPG characters?

#71ArmedDragoonPosted 11/17/2012 10:47:55 PM
Pink_a_Dink posted...
ArmedDragoon posted...
There's a lot of stupid in this topic on both sides, but I don't think anything can ever beat somebody thinking that Darkstalkers is actually an RPG. It's almost a complete clone of Zelda and Zelda absolutely isn't a RPG.

The rest of this is pretty much people underplaying the impact RPGs have had on Playstation, which is really counterproductive. Fact is, Superbot goofed, and they can fix it with DLC later. Nobody needs to justify or accuse anyone of anything.

Darkstalkers? o.O

I just got back from work and I must be firing blanks in the brain, so pretend that word is Darksiders.
---
Official Thoth of the SMT IV board.
Official Dart of the PASBR board.
#72RainbowsaurusPosted 11/17/2012 10:48:54 PM
Pink_a_Dink posted...
ArmedDragoon posted...
There's a lot of stupid in this topic on both sides, but I don't think anything can ever beat somebody thinking that Darkstalkers is actually an RPG. It's almost a complete clone of Zelda and Zelda absolutely isn't a RPG.

The rest of this is pretty much people underplaying the impact RPGs have had on Playstation, which is really counterproductive. Fact is, Superbot goofed, and they can fix it with DLC later. Nobody needs to justify or accuse anyone of anything.

Darkstalkers? o.O

I think he meant Darksiders xD
Darkstalkers is most definitely not an RPG.
---
When I say boom, boom, boom you say bam, bam, bam! No pause in between come on, let's jam!
PSN:Rain_Bow_saurus
#738f9g43k8ku7335pPosted 11/17/2012 10:51:17 PM
Bethesda should lend a character to the PSASBR roster for free as a consolation to PS3 fans who had wasted money on their buggy ass games.
#74rumbalumbaPosted 11/17/2012 10:52:00 PM
ArmedDragoon posted...

exactly. SuperBot goofed. people saying "oh it's the devs, even if it were Sony-owned, SuperBot still had to ask the devs blah blah blah!"

i mean, Sony owns the IP, so it was up to SuperBot to make sure the devs are impressed enough to let them have the characters.

why are people blaming the devs? don't they realize that SuperBot didn't being their A-game when they presented the game to the devs? if the devs were satisfied with what SuperBot showed, what reason would there be to not let them have the characters? oh because they just don't want to. rrrriiight.

i mean, hasn't anyone's brain thought that SuperBot's presentation didn't satisfy the devs? then it's SuperBot's fault, not the devs. if someone would pitch a project or idea to me, if they presented it in a mediocre, unsatisfactory way, why would i support them?
#75squirrel_boyPosted 11/17/2012 10:55:21 PM
rumbalumba posted...
squirrel_boy posted...

a lot more people will know ratchet and clank than breath of fire or lunar or ten more of those combined

lol ratchet and clank? that's it? spyro, ratchet, rayman?

there are more people who have played RPGs than those who have played platformers in a Playstation system in 17 years of Playstation history. deal with it.

yeah a lot of people will know Ratchet than BoF.

oh look at that, there's expontentially more people who know of Final Fantasy than Klonoa and Tomba and Ratchet combined. see, i can do that too.

there were twice as many people who bought 2 Kingdom Hearts games on the PS2 than there were for 3 Jak and Daxter games. see?

oh no! usin mah own words against me! fire with fire!
ferreal tho: FF and KH are the only well known playstation rpgs and ya gotta give some of there popularity to being multi platform
#76rumbalumbaPosted 11/17/2012 10:55:57 PM
8f9g43k8ku7335p posted...
Bethesda should lend a character to the PSASBR roster for free as a consolation to PS3 fans who had wasted money on their buggy ass games.

why would you give into hype and buy a mediocre, bug-ridden, LOTR-wannabe game anyway?

the lore in Elder Scrolls sucks, graphics suck, plot of each game sucks, framerate sucks. stop buying games that suck.
#77rumbalumbaPosted 11/17/2012 11:03:33 PM
squirrel_boy posted...
rumbalumba posted...
squirrel_boy posted...

a lot more people will know ratchet and clank than breath of fire or lunar or ten more of those combined

lol ratchet and clank? that's it? spyro, ratchet, rayman?

there are more people who have played RPGs than those who have played platformers in a Playstation system in 17 years of Playstation history. deal with it.

yeah a lot of people will know Ratchet than BoF.

oh look at that, there's expontentially more people who know of Final Fantasy than Klonoa and Tomba and Ratchet combined. see, i can do that too.

there were twice as many people who bought 2 Kingdom Hearts games on the PS2 than there were for 3 Jak and Daxter games. see?

oh no! usin mah own words against me! fire with fire!
ferreal tho: FF and KH are the only well known playstation rpgs and ya gotta give some of there popularity to being multi platform

forreal tho, you're wrong. oh, and Kingdom Hearts started out as a PS2 exclusive. so really, you're wrong again. remind me how KH 1 sold 4+ million units when it was a PS2 exclusive.

please, FF and KH are the only well-known PS rpgs? it must be great living in ignorance. Monster Hunter series on the PSP sold more than the Ratchet and Clank games on the PS2 and PS3 and PSP combined. how about that?
#78legendofskylandPosted 11/17/2012 11:09:04 PM
The platform genre felt more iconic. I would walk into game stores during the ps2 era and see signs with Jak, Ratchet, and Sly that said something like "The PS2 Giants"
#79SSBR10Posted 11/17/2012 11:13:20 PM
IHeartJessAlba posted...
Primarily because FF already has a series where their characters fight,

So does Capcom and Namco.

and the fact that they don't own any KH characters besides those that appeared in a FF game and TWEWY. Yes, Disney owns Sora. In fact, it's the reason why Dissidia was even made. It was originally a KH game until Disney said it didn't want it's characters in a fighting game.

*sigh* How many times do I gotta keep explaining this? Disney wasn't against the idea. It was Nomura and he was against the idea of classic Disney characters fighting each other, not KH characters.
---
Little Mac, Mega Man, Travis Touchdown for Super Smash Bros. 4.
Street Fighter x Mortal Kombat, Shonen Jump vs. Capcom please.
#80squirrel_boyPosted 11/17/2012 11:19:30 PM
started out as ps exclusive but kh is currently multiplatform so i was right

and you know it took you a while to think of another "well known" playstation rpg. and you said monster hunter which is multiplatform.

but again, platformers have better characters, setting, and plotlines than most rpgs.
and over the long run a lot more people are gonna remember J&D than that one sorta bad guy from FF XIVVIXXV