This isn't a fighting game

#41BruceWayneJrPosted 11/19/2012 6:43:30 PM
That's not a knife...

THIS is a knife!
#42MwarriorHieiPosted 11/19/2012 6:50:44 PM
smash (and PASBR by extension), are not fighting games. they are party games. they are beat 'em ups.
---
o.o
#43Patrick7286Posted 11/19/2012 8:20:53 PM
MwarriorHiei posted...
smash (and PASBR by extension), are not fighting games. they are party games. they are beat 'em ups.

Party game is not a gameplay genre. Mario kart is a party game but its genre is racing game. Guitar hero is a party game, its genre is music/rhythm game. Smash and PSABR are party games, but that doesn't change the fact that their genre is fighting game.

Whether they're meant to be played seriously or not, whether the game is tournament worthy or not, and whether the game is good or not are all 100% irrelevant as far as what genre it is.

I don't even know why I posted this though. Let's be real. Anyone who is saying psa or smash aren't fighting games isn't saying that out of concern for correctly categorizing games. They're all either trolls or just smug elitist fanboys trying to put down smash or psa.
#44Chilly82Posted 11/19/2012 8:26:38 PM
MwarriorHiei posted...

No a beat em up is like Golden Axe and Streets of Rage. Games where you go through levels beating the crap out of bad guys to reach the end, usually in co-op.

FIghting games (like this) are games where you competitively fight other players.

It seems to me, that there are people here who hate more traditional life bar fighting games (probably because they're incapable of firing off a hadoken) and feel the need to separate All-Stars and Smash from the games that they hate.
#45Magitek111Posted 11/19/2012 8:40:18 PM
Smash Bros. is certainly a fighting game, technically!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7o8yWSmkMMQ
---
Blast off and strike the evil Bydo empire!
Let's attack aggressively!
#46EmeraldMossPosted 11/19/2012 8:54:49 PM
There are different sub-genres of fighting games. Command fighters (2D fighters such as Street Fighter and King of Fighters) 3D martial art fighters (VF, Tekken DoA, SC) 3D command fighters (SFEX, KoFMI) and fighters that don't fit into those classifications, such as Smash Bros, Evil Zone, Playstation All-Stars, ect.

Smash Bros is a fighting game. It's just not a Street FIghter or Tekken styled fighter.
---
-Insert witty quote here-
#47Black-IszPosted 11/19/2012 8:55:46 PM
BruceWayneJr posted...
That's not a knife...

THIS is a knife!

That's not a knife, that's a spoon.
#48PielordXPosted 11/19/2012 8:57:21 PM
Black-Isz posted...
BruceWayneJr posted...
That's not a knife...

THIS is a knife!

That's not a knife, that's a spoon.

thats not a spoon, thats the matrix telling you that theres a spoon in your hand
---
If there were more people like me the world would be a better place. That's just a fact. -Compass
#49PyroSparkPosted 11/19/2012 8:59:59 PM
haku10 posted...
Have you guys even looked at some of the games that GameFAQS considers a fighting game? .hack? Acceleration of Suguri? Vitual Rabbit Missions?

This game along with SSB are not traditional arcade fighting games, which was what people usually mean when talking about a fighting game.

---
rexator-"Make it a money match so that the winner gets to crap in the other's mouth." PSN: PyroSpark7
#50FurryyifferPosted 11/19/2012 9:24:45 PM
PyroSpark posted...
haku10 posted...
Have you guys even looked at some of the games that GameFAQS considers a fighting game? .hack? Acceleration of Suguri? Vitual Rabbit Missions?

This game along with SSB are not traditional arcade fighting games, which was what people usually mean when talking about a fighting game.

Not being a traditional fighter doesn't stop it from being a fighter though, zam. Mario Kart and Crash Team Racing aren't traditional racing games but no one argues that they aren't indeed racing games.
I dont get why so many people have a problem with Smash type games being fighters. They aren't traditional fighters but that doesnt make them not fighters. :/
---
Ryuho, mate to Mizuki ^-^
Forever in my heart.