IGN Review Just Went Up!! 8.0/10

#21metroid compositePosted 11/20/2012 9:27:32 AM
wutupdawg224 posted...
Here's the quote of what seemed to hurt the score the most:

"Unfortunately, while playing against the computer in solo mode proves fun, the experience can also become redundant and predictable. I was disappointed during my first play through to see the story told through static images coupled with voiceovers for both a character’s intro and ending, accompanied by a limited, animated take on the rivalry battle itself. This is the same for each character. All-Stars could have used more love in its single-player presentation, even if the campaigns, tutorials and trials act as excellent proving grounds before jumping into multiplayer (and even if there are a flood of unlockables, from icons to cheerleader-like minions and everything in between, to earn). If SuperBot makes a sequel, this is the greatest problem in the game worthy of being fixed."

Ok, so if the 30 second skippable intros to Arcade mode had been FMV instead of comic-book style, this would have been a 10 instead of an 8?

Still seems like an odd complaint. I rarely even notice story moments in fighting games, and the few cases I can think of where I did enjoy them, they've typically been still image based (like Guilty Gear: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s_2okTVaQB8 ). But sure, I guess some people might care about the still images? Dunno.
---
Cats land on their feet. Toast lands peanut butter side down. A cat with toast strapped to its back will hover above the ground in a state of quantum indecision
#22gameghy555Posted 11/20/2012 9:28:06 AM
Lol, IGN has been hyping this game so hard and only give it a 8/10?
---
PSN: MoHSalim
http://www.youtube.com/m0hsalim
#23blaze19_0XPosted 11/20/2012 9:28:17 AM
I'm still kind of disappointed IGN literally took off 2 points because of the story.

I mean it's a fighting game.....

Well at least we now know why they have Persona 4:Arena a 9 whereas practically every other site gave it an 8. It had a lot of dialogue and an actual story. Which apparently is exactly what IGN wants from fighting games........
---
http://allstararena.com
Competitve Hub for Playstation All-Stars Battle Royale
#24EtroAnimePosted 11/20/2012 9:33:35 AM
blaze19_0X posted...
I'm still kind of disappointed IGN literally took off 2 points because of the story.

Well at least we now know why they have Persona 4:Arena a 9 whereas practically every other site gave it an 8. It had a lot of dialogue and an actual story. Which apparently is exactly what IGN wants from fighting games........

They gave Street Fight X Tekken a 9.0 as well but the score and the review don't match but what it seems like is a great game. I am still getting it!
---
Waiting for: PlayStation All-Stars & Ni no Kuni
PSN ID: Rammel29
#25SalsaSavantPosted 11/20/2012 9:34:20 AM
I think the big presentation issue is lack of fanservice.

From what I've seen, there's no real in-jokes, few references to all but the most recent, and they really fell with the crossover potential.

What they needed to do was have better story scenes, yes. But they also needed interaction in more then just the rival scenes.

In Kratos's ending he began to face the gods with his army. What would have been great is if at the last second the camera panned and you saw all of the other all-stars in greco-roman armor. But no, it was just "I'm Kratos, and I'm going to kill you."
---
This is a sig.
People who agree: 11. People who Disagree:5
#26DarkAdonis123Posted 11/20/2012 9:40:34 AM
Wow you guys are seriously complaining about an 8? What the **** is wrong with you people? It got a good score. You got the reassurance you were so desperately looking for. Now go play your game.
---
If Platinum was HAND drawn, she'd be on paper, fool. This is a video game. They just made her on screen, no "drawing" involved -Delano7 on BlazBlue
#27SalsaSavantPosted 11/20/2012 9:47:00 AM
DarkAdonis123 posted...
Wow you guys are seriously complaining about an 8? What the **** is wrong with you people? It got a good score. You got the reassurance you were so desperately looking for. Now go play your game.

Thing is, most people see an 8 as average. 5 should be average in theory, but most games get between an 7.5-9.0

This game is already a punchline. Now people are going to ignore it.
---
This is a sig.
People who agree: 11. People who Disagree:5
#28blaze19_0XPosted 11/20/2012 9:49:24 AM
Etroanime posted...
blaze19_0X posted...

They gave Street Fight X Tekken a 9.0 as well but the score and the review don't match but what it seems like is a great game. I am still getting it!

Yeah SFxT is a fundamentally flawed game. It seriously can't be anything more than a 7 if even that. I have a feeling Capcom paid off IGN on that one. Or maybe it shows how little IGN understands about fighting games.
---
http://allstararena.com
Competitve Hub for Playstation All-Stars Battle Royale
#29EtroAnimePosted 11/20/2012 9:54:12 AM
blaze19_0X posted...
Etroanime posted...
blaze19_0X posted...

Yeah SFxT is a fundamentally flawed game. It seriously can't be anything more than a 7 if even that. I have a feeling Capcom paid off IGN on that one. Or maybe it shows how little IGN understands about fighting games.

Very true, it is the reason why they are patching a lot of things for that game soon. I also just watched that Gametrailers review and wow it was pretty biased to be honest. I just want to know if the damn game is fun and it seems like they dance around answering that question and just side by side compare if it is like SSB.
---
Waiting for: PlayStation All-Stars & Ni no Kuni
PSN ID: Rammel29
#30PopSmorePosted 11/20/2012 9:56:38 AM
yeah i agree with them, but i wouldnt dock it down to 8/10 for it.. as soon as i put the game in and played i watched the opening cutscene all pumped and excited, then i was brought to the menu and was like WOW THIS LOOKS TERRIBLE... but i started playing as raiden in arcade and i forgot all about that because it's just that fun
---
kemikalz.net