IGN Review Just Went Up!! 8.0/10

#31Pieman0920Posted 11/20/2012 9:59:19 AM
Outside of single player content, and seeing if the multiplayer/online is presentable, most reviewers can't really review fighting games properly. Whether a fighting game has depth can't be fully determined by a few guys, but rather a large group. Back in the early days of MvC3, some of the first people who got the game prior to the official launch streamed it, and basically concluded that Arthur was broken/top tier because of how he could spam knives and spears. They had no one else to really play against but themselves, so they just sort of jumped to that conclusion. Needless to say, Arthur's "broken" status didn't hold up.

Thus you get fighting games overrated or underrated for reasons that don't fully match up with how the game is viewed long term.
---
(9^_^)--------0(x_X^)
Official ungrateful jerk of GameFAQs.
#32DarkAdonis123Posted 11/20/2012 10:11:04 AM
blaze19_0X posted...
Etroanime posted...
blaze19_0X posted...
I'm still kind of disappointed IGN literally took off 2 points because of the story.

I mean it's a fighting game.....

Well at least we now know why they have Persona 4:Arena a 9 whereas practically every other site gave it an 8. It had a lot of dialogue and an actual story. Which apparently is exactly what IGN wants from fighting games........

They gave Street Fight X Tekken a 9.0 as well but the score and the review don't match but what it seems like is a great game. I am still getting it!

Yeah SFxT is a fundamentally flawed game. It seriously can't be anything more than a 7 if even that. I have a feeling Capcom paid off IGN on that one. Or maybe it shows how little IGN understands about fighting games.

They gave Tekken Tag 2 a 7 for having too much content.

And they gave KoF XIII a 7 because it has "cheap bosses".

You have no idea how bad I wish I was joking you.
---
If Platinum was HAND drawn, she'd be on paper, fool. This is a video game. They just made her on screen, no "drawing" involved -Delano7 on BlazBlue
#33tstumo27Posted 11/20/2012 10:15:40 AM
The_Djoker posted...
IGN gave brawl like 9.5 or something. game was garbage.

Because brawl was jam packed full of content and nostalgia. Amazing orchestral music and lots of re playability which this game lacks. Brawl would have gotten even higher if the online was much better and the story mode was done a little different. It also had a huge roster and still managed to squeeze in nice cut scenes in the story mode.

I figured this game would get in the 7.5 - 8.0 range. Which for it's first time out is not bad. I could never compare the game to smash because smash is an epic feeling game. From the characters,music,stages. Nintendo has years and years of content to rely on. This just has some Sony characters and a whole bunch of 3rd party characters battling it out just because. I will say That Kudos to the developers for really caring and doing the whole Vita/ps3 connectivity thing.You can tell they cared about this game and i can appreciate that.
#34Chzrm3Posted 11/20/2012 10:58:32 AM
Haha, I was actually gonna mention their ridiculous fighting game scores.

Yeah, SFxT didn't deserve a 9, even before the on-disk DLC debacle. And I mean come on, he cries about the story in this - have you seen SFxT's story? It's the same EXACT thing. On top of that, SFxT has even less single player options, and you have to pay to buy costumes too.

This review is really confusing. On the one hand, I get that 8 is a solid score, but he basically raves about the game and says he loves it, then takes off 2 points for the story? In a fighting game?

Meh, I shouldn't be surprised, IGN has been garbage for so long. It's just disappointing because I really thought they were gonna treat PSASBR fairly, and taking 2 points off while saying "this game is rly hard to learn and the story wasn't good hurrrr" is just stupid.

WOTEVA
---
If I haven't mentioned Trivio in my post, it's because she is so beautiful and precarious that I just wanted to show her how much she means to me.
#35ArmedDragoonPosted 11/20/2012 11:39:53 AM
SalsaSavant posted...
DarkAdonis123 posted...
Wow you guys are seriously complaining about an 8? What the **** is wrong with you people? It got a good score. You got the reassurance you were so desperately looking for. Now go play your game.

Thing is, most people see an 8 as average. 5 should be average in theory, but most games get between an 7.5-9.0

This game is already a punchline. Now people are going to ignore it.

I like that you imply that it's the majority that think 8 is a bad score and not a group of really really stupid people.
---
Official Thoth of the SMT IV board.
Official Dart of the PASBR board.
#36Chzrm3Posted 11/20/2012 11:48:03 AM
ArmedDragoon posted...
SalsaSavant posted...
DarkAdonis123 posted...
Wow you guys are seriously complaining about an 8? What the **** is wrong with you people? It got a good score. You got the reassurance you were so desperately looking for. Now go play your game.

Thing is, most people see an 8 as average. 5 should be average in theory, but most games get between an 7.5-9.0

This game is already a punchline. Now people are going to ignore it.

I like that you imply that it's the majority that think 8 is a bad score and not a group of really really stupid people.

Well, we're not upset about the review because it clashes with our own personal opinions, but because it can be the deciding factor for a lot of people's purchases. And unfortunately, the people who run to IGN to tell them whether or not they should buy something are the very same people who think an 8 is a bad score.
---
If I haven't mentioned Trivio in my post, it's because she is so beautiful and precarious that I just wanted to show her how much she means to me.
#37mgs234Posted 11/20/2012 11:49:37 AM
5 is not average. 7 is average as most games get a 7(IGN in particular u can look it up on metacrits). Very few get a 10. I am not getting this game but 8 not a bad score.
#38kupo1705Posted 11/20/2012 11:52:29 AM
How scores work these days:

5 and lower - crap
6 - bad
7 - ok
8 - good
9 - great
10 - amazing
#39LukeStrife5Posted 11/20/2012 11:55:57 AM
Taizuku posted...
pdizzles125 posted...
Janpei posted...
Not bad? An 8 out of 10 for a game many people have been skeptical about since its announcement? I'm excited as all hell now.

Yeah but to a lot of the review-reliant crowd, an 8.0 is average, regardless of how it says "Great" beside the 8.0

Which I don't understand by the way 8/10 is damn good.

I would assume that was there most noticeable issue in terms of being really bad (the menus are kinda crap) and the 8 is that despite those good things it could have been better. Better cast, better story, more stages, ect ect. It is still great but there is room for improvement. That's how I took it, which is fair. 9 and 10s are, IMO, reserved for close to flawless games.
---
www.doabarrelroll.net
#40Chzrm3Posted 11/20/2012 11:59:11 AM
LukeStrife5 posted...
Taizuku posted...
pdizzles125 posted...
Janpei posted...
Not bad? An 8 out of 10 for a game many people have been skeptical about since its announcement? I'm excited as all hell now.

Yeah but to a lot of the review-reliant crowd, an 8.0 is average, regardless of how it says "Great" beside the 8.0

Which I don't understand by the way 8/10 is damn good.

I would assume that was there most noticeable issue in terms of being really bad (the menus are kinda crap) and the 8 is that despite those good things it could have been better. Better cast, better story, more stages, ect ect. It is still great but there is room for improvement. That's how I took it, which is fair. 9 and 10s are, IMO, reserved for close to flawless games.

Meh, they gave SFxT a 9 and that game was broken in so many ways. Even putting aside the on-disk DLC, SFxT didn't deserve anywhere near a 9.

I think you're right, though. Colin never mentioned this, but I think his 8 was largely because of the roster. He probably knew it'd be unfair to pan the roster because he'd personally talked to Omar about how hard it was to get characters, but he was still butthurt about it. So he said "-2 points for presentation" and what he really meant was "I didn't get Crash Bandicoot Q_Q_Q_Q_Q". Then Greg Miller said "GIVE IT A 4 MAN, DON'T BE AFRAID" while stuffing his face full of cheetos.
---