For this gen it seems Presentation>>>>Gameplay

#1blaze19_0XPosted 11/20/2012 10:59:03 AM(edited)
That's a common theme I've seen in terms of what kind of reviews games to tend to get from mainstream sites. That's not to say there aren't exceptions of course but in general this seems to be the case.

Take a series like Uncharted that has average gameplay at best, does nothing ground breaking in that regard, but has spectacular visuals, polish and presentation. So it gets reviews in the 9 range.

In PSASBR clearly the focus is the gameplay and everything else is secondary. Which is how games should be. They are games after all, not interactive movies. That's why Superbot paid special importance to the gameplay and multiplayer as those two things are what's going to keep fighting game going.

But it appears people don't care about depth anymore. They want a good-looking but shallow experience. A tacked on story mode that lasts 5 hours and gives you no incentive to ever touch it again it appears would have gone a long way for this game because that's apparently what a lot of people want.

The same goes for menus. Apparently for a fighting game, menus are a deal-breaking things. Because games like Street Fighter and Smash became legendary series because of the menus. That's what people think of when they think of SF or Smash.
---
http://allstararena.com
Competitve Hub for Playstation All-Stars Battle Royale
#2Vanitas_RemnantPosted 11/20/2012 10:59:36 AM
I like Uncharted for the multiplayer :/
---
I feel a draft on my butt
#3IcyFlamez96Posted 11/20/2012 11:00:58 AM
Are they really rating it lower than you think it should because of menus? They seem to be taking off points because of the arcade mode and the content in general.
---
[Not changing sig until a new Ratchet and Clank game that I can be hyped for is announced.]
# of times krat0s didn't appropriately update my K count: 20+ :'[
#4Chzrm3Posted 11/20/2012 11:01:07 AM
IGN gave Uncharted 3 a 10 and Greg Miller blubbered about how it was the best game he's ever played in his life. He even gave it "5 donuts out of 5", the highest honor he's ever bestowed upon a game.

PSASBR gets an 8 because the story mode isn't good, and Colin kept rambling about how "its hard to learn the controls". I mean dude, you push a direction and press a button. THAT'S HARD? LOL!!! And this kid played it for 50 hours.

Now that PSASBR coverage is over, I'm probably done visiting IGN. That site is such a joke. XD
---
If I haven't mentioned Trivio in my post, it's because she is so beautiful and precarious that I just wanted to show her how much she means to me.
#5blaze19_0X(Topic Creator)Posted 11/20/2012 11:01:18 AM
Vanitas_Remnant posted...
I like Uncharted for the multiplayer :/

Uncharated 1 didn't have multiplayer and even then it was getting top reviews.

The multiplayer didn't become great until Uncharted 3.

On average imo the Uncharted series is an 8 at best.
---
http://allstararena.com
Competitve Hub for Playstation All-Stars Battle Royale
#6wwinterj25Posted 11/20/2012 11:03:48 AM
I approve of this topic. I'm 26 and been gaming around 20+ years and notice that most gamers just wine more. I see all these devs also crying because next gen consoles are not here yet devs like R* say there is a lot of power in current gen consoles and they are happy with it.

While nice graphics look good gameplay is more important. I still play retro games to this day because they was classics and still are. Such as Sonic and Mario. It's not for the graphics that's for sure but gameplay.
---
One who knows nothing can understand nothing - GamerTag: wwinterj/PSN wwinterj
#7Chzrm3Posted 11/20/2012 11:04:04 AM
Probably true. I'd say the original Uncharted was an 8.5 because it showed off the strength of the PS3, Uncharted 2 was a 9 because it had the best story in the series and (imo) the most fun gameplay, and Uncharted 3 was an 8 because it felt like a step backward (didn't like the story as much, they took out the whole stealth mechanic in Uncharted 2 which I loved, etc).

But it had exploding ships so 10/10!!!!!!!!
---
If I haven't mentioned Trivio in my post, it's because she is so beautiful and precarious that I just wanted to show her how much she means to me.
#8Rip3465Posted 11/20/2012 11:07:44 AM
For the most part your right, gameplay should come first, but you have to remember what an even this is for Sony (Or should be at least). The menus and such arent too big a deal, but things like Story mode should.

I hate to compare it to Smash Bros. but look at the Subspace Emissary. We got an epic tale of a threat that brought all these beloved Nintendo characters together, either as allies or enemies, and showed team ups fans have wanted to see for years.

I think alot of people were hoping for something like that. My only big gripe in terms of presentation.
---
Theres a knife wielding sociopath living in my basement.
But it's okay, he helps out with the chores.
#9solideye11Posted 11/20/2012 11:11:40 AM
A slideshow with a voice over is unacceptable in the year 2012. I don't care if it's a fighting game, a puzzle game, or a FPS you have to do better than that!
---
SOLID EYE SYSTEM-OTC-0017/02
PSN: chr11224
#10IcyFlamez96Posted 11/20/2012 11:11:54 AM
Chzrm3 posted...
Probably true. I'd say the original Uncharted was an 8.5 because it showed off the strength of the PS3, Uncharted 2 was a 9 because it had the best story in the series and (imo) the most fun gameplay, and Uncharted 3 was an 8 because it felt like a step backward (didn't like the story as much, they took out the whole stealth mechanic in Uncharted 2 which I loved, etc).

But it had exploding ships so 10/10!!!!!!!!

Uncharted 3 had stealth. It just wasn't forced.

I don't know why but I can't even play through the first half of it anymore but the second half is godly.
---
[Not changing sig until a new Ratchet and Clank game that I can be hyped for is announced.]
# of times krat0s didn't appropriately update my K count: 20+ :'[