20 playable characters in the first game is not enough? LOL

#61PARAMYTASPosted 11/23/2012 5:59:08 AM
ToroStationMeow posted...
PokemonYoutube posted...
But most of those games were released over 15 years ago.

Point is it'S a first game by a new studio.

And those games had a limited roster but were still awesome.

OMG! For real dude? FOR REAL!? You can't seriously be ready to bash this game because you think it's not cool in 2012 for twenty playable character. I swear, some kids are nothing more than spoiled little ****s these days.
---
It's not the games fault you have the attention span of a squirrel.
#62BigKahn6Posted 11/23/2012 6:01:19 AM
The #1 Unwritten rule for a Crossover game is for it to have more than 30 characters.

This game failed at it.

I don't care about the budget, the licensing, or the fact that this is the first game in the series. More characters make Crossover games better. Simple as that.
#63EsperStarrPosted 11/23/2012 6:11:54 AM
BigKahn6 posted...
The #1 Unwritten rule for a Crossover game is for it to have more than 30 characters.

This game failed at it.

I don't care about the budget, the licensing, or the fact that this is the first game in the series. More characters make Crossover games better. Simple as that.

Quality over quantity
Playing this game....20 characters feels great!
Commit to one character and you get exhausted from learning them because you're having so much fun...

It feels like a different experience EACH TIME I play with a new character because they play so different...
Unlike some games where there are minor changes and everyone feels kinda the same .. *whispers* ssb *whispers*
#64Drkr_ZenPosted 11/23/2012 6:14:31 AM(edited)
BigKahn6 posted...

This game failed at it.

Personally, I disagree with this. I think the more characters you have, the higher chance there is that some are either clones, unbalanced, not as much time put into some as others and simply not fun as a result.

For me, it'll boil down to how many I like, of course, but 20 is more than enough. Especially when you look at say, UMvC3, which has a ton of characters... but I only liked and enjoyed using maybe 10% of 'em. Whereas the original BlazBlue had 10 characters, iirc, and I loved all of them... even ones I didn't really think I'd like.

I know for a fact I'll like at most 19 of the characters... I refuse to play as Dino. Ever.
---
Playing: Skyrim, MHP3rd HD, ME3, KH3D, Borderlands 2 (GOTY 2012)
"See You Space Cowboy."
#65pikapika212Posted 11/23/2012 6:28:04 AM(edited)
Pinoy441 posted...
LuminescentRule posted...
Am I back 15 years in the past?

And you have to take into account they made each character from scratch on a limited budget.

Yeps. Kratos was a character created for this game. A completely new character...

Name a new fighting game IP that has over 20 chars in its first game

Go ahead i'll wait while you google some obscure game nobodies heard of and claim that it was good.

battle stadium DON
Jump Super Stars
---
Guilty Gear - (Main) - Baiken, A.B.A, Zappa, Slayer (Sub) Dizzy - Anji Mito - Sol Badguy, Ky Kiske
Blazblue - (Main) - Rachel Alucard, Hakumen (Sub) Platinum
#66chapnzabaPosted 11/23/2012 6:31:53 AM
Doesn't Persona 4 Arena have like 14 characters?
---
PSN: Chapnzaba
#67Lawman_316Posted 11/23/2012 6:48:50 AM
The problem is that most of those games don't have Smash Bros. to compete with. Comparing Skullgirls and P4A is fine, but most of those are rather niche and won't really have to compete with each other. SF IV might have started with... 16? 20? Forget the exact arcade number... but SF X Tekken has 38 without on-disc DLC and 55 with it.

I think it's fair that they're adding two free for a limited time next year, making the roster 22 strong, but when first-party is trying to compete with a game with 35 and has a little over half the roster size, it just doesn't look good.
---
"Fighting was the only thing... the only thing I was good at, but... At least I always fought for what I believed in."
#68Jrx1Posted 11/23/2012 6:52:45 AM
pikapika212 posted...
Pinoy441 posted...
LuminescentRule posted...
Am I back 15 years in the past?

And you have to take into account they made each character from scratch on a limited budget.

Yeps. Kratos was a character created for this game. A completely new character...

Name a new fighting game IP that has over 20 chars in its first game

Go ahead i'll wait while you google some obscure game nobodies heard of and claim that it was good.

battle stadium DON
Jump Super Stars

These games are too good to be mentioned on here.
---
Official Cyrus of Pokemon Black Version 2 GameFAQs Boards
Claimed Palkia on the Pokemon Black Version 2 GameFAQs Boards
#69EsperStarrPosted 11/23/2012 6:55:18 AM
Lawman_316 posted...
The problem is that most of those games don't have Smash Bros. to compete with. Comparing Skullgirls and P4A is fine, but most of those are rather niche and won't really have to compete with each other. SF IV might have started with... 16? 20? Forget the exact arcade number... but SF X Tekken has 38 without on-disc DLC and 55 with it.

I think it's fair that they're adding two free for a limited time next year, making the roster 22 strong, but when first-party is trying to compete with a game with 35 and has a little over half the roster size, it just doesn't look good.

That's your opinion
Depends on the game and what's in it.
I want more but right now 20 is exhausting XD especially when you actually like every character...
#70Lawman_316Posted 11/23/2012 7:12:53 AM
EsperStarr posted...
Lawman_316 posted...

That's your opinion
Depends on the game and what's in it.
I want more but right now 20 is exhausting XD especially when you actually like every character...

Dude, these are ALL our opinions. That's the beauty of freedom of speech.

I still want my hands on P4A, and that has a dozen fighters total. I'm aware that quality is more important than quantity, but that doesn't mean that quantity is ignorable, and it's especially important in a party fighter like this.

I'll also add that I care about maybe a quarter of the roster. Heigachi is actually the most exciting guest character to me in spite of being the least important. I don't care about DMC or BioShock, and in spite of being a HUGE MGS fan they went with the worst version of Raiden imaginable instead of Solid Snake (though I read that he has a MGS 2 costume, which redeems him a LOT. Hoping for a Grey Fox suit). Add Parappa, Sweet Tooth and Kat and you have my preferred roster.
---
"Fighting was the only thing... the only thing I was good at, but... At least I always fought for what I believed in."