20 playable characters in the first game is not enough? LOL

#81soggytoast11Posted 11/23/2012 8:14:49 AM
The fact that this is a new IP doesn't matter. What does matter is that it's 2012 and not 1995 and the bar has already been set plenty high by other games that came out 15 years later.
#82blaze19_0XPosted 11/23/2012 8:17:32 AM
soggytoast11 posted...
The fact that this is a new IP doesn't matter. What does matter is that it's 2012 and not 1995 and the bar has already been set plenty high by other games that came out 15 years later.

Persona 4:Arena has 13 characters.
Dead or Alive 5 has around 2 dozen.

Both full retail games.
Also technically this game doesn't have 20 characters. We are getting 2 free characters soon. So it should really count as 22. And that's not including anymore DLC characters they add.
---
http://allstararena.com
Competitve Hub for Playstation All-Stars Battle Royale
#83BatenKalasPosted 11/23/2012 8:18:36 AM
LuminescentRule posted...
BatenKalas posted...
Twenty was a perfectly fine number when it's a brand new game. Even BlazBlue with twelve (I think?) felt nice. Considering more characters are on the way via DLC, there's really nothing to complain about.

BlazBlue isn't a crossover game.

And?
---
The Review Depot - http://reviewdepot.net
#84MagicSoulfire91Posted 11/23/2012 8:24:25 AM
Jesus people will complain about anything, is 20 completely different characters really not enough for you? all of people i know who play fighting games will settle on one or a few key characters that they like anyway so i seriously doubt anyone is missing out by only getting 20 individual characters to play with. Basically just stop whining and don't buy the game if you don't want it, but don't lie cry and make up as much ridiculous crap as possible to try and persuade people to hate things just because you want them to.
---
"At least your girlfriend treats all of her subscribers equally instead of giving them special mounts for bringing their friends." - bob the fish.
#85BatenKalasPosted 11/23/2012 8:29:33 AM(edited)
Am I back 15 years in the past?

And you have to take into account they made each character from scratch on a limited budget.

Yeps. Kratos was a character created for this game. A completely new character...

Name a new fighting game IP that has over 20 chars in its first game

Go ahead i'll wait while you google some obscure game nobodies heard of and claim that it was good.

Marvel vs. Capcom. I hope this game isn't too obscure.

http://www.gamesdbase.com/Media/SYSTEM/Arcade/Select/big/Marvel_Vs._Capcom-_Clash_of_Super_Heroes_-_1998_-_Capcom.jpg

Do not count assist characters, as they were nothing more than overglorified special attacks. They could not be controlled and counted as characters no more than Stirder Hiryu's robot cats or Captain Commando's teammates.
---
The Review Depot - http://reviewdepot.net
#86WingedRegentPosted 11/23/2012 8:49:44 AM(edited)
Even King of Fighters XII had bigger roster than that - 22 on consoles. And that game was greatly criticized for having small roster. Before you say "it was 12th game in series" remember they did total redraw of all sprites, with amazing number of animation frames, which alone was probably more work than put in each of the characters in All-Stars. Also KOF is made by SNK, which surely has less funding than Sony can afford.

Personally, I believe SNK didn't get a fair shake when the reviews came in stating that the roster was small, but from my understanding (As a Huge KOF Fan), the reason it got ripped into for the roster was because the KoF Universe has upwards of 60+ characters that they could use. Their first 3D KoF had 19 fighters, and they literally doubled the cast for KoF 2006, so it was more of a case of getting adjusted to the new system IMHO. KoF XI, the game before XII, had a roster of around 47 characters. KoF 2002: UM (Widely considered the best KoF game in the series) had a roster of over 62 characters, counting every "EX" version of a character, which were varied enough to count as new characters. So, for the KoF fans who were used to these big rosters, a roster of merely 22 was a HUGE step-back. In KoF XIII, they fixed this by putting in a roster number that's more akin to the standard KoF roster with no EX characters + 2 console exclusives.
---
You're casual if you like anything. Real hardcore gamers hate everything.-CyhortI82
#87PARAMYTASPosted 11/24/2012 4:21:21 AM
MidgardDragon99 posted...
I believe the issue is that most of the chars in PSABR are not the characters people actually wanted, especially crap like that cat character and all the stupid shooter game characters. We are missing Snake, any FF representation, any AC representation, and so on and so forth. Of course now that DLC has been confirmed to be coming the point is moot.

FF character- Has been on more than just Sony
AC character- Has been on Microsoft company as well. fail
---
It's not the games fault you have the attention span of a squirrel.
#88Lawman_316Posted 11/24/2012 9:35:28 AM
PARAMYTAS posted...
I believe the issue is that most of the chars in PSABR are not the characters people actually wanted, especially crap like that cat character and all the stupid shooter game characters. We are missing Snake, any FF representation, any AC representation, and so on and so forth. Of course now that DLC has been confirmed to be coming the point is moot.

Devil May Cry, Metal Gear Solid, Tekken and BioShock aren't Sony exclusives either. Fail indeed.
---
"Fighting was the only thing... the only thing I was good at, but... At least I always fought for what I believed in."
#89JoshelplexPosted 11/24/2012 9:41:18 AM
Lawman_316 posted...
PARAMYTAS posted...

Devil May Cry, Metal Gear Solid, Tekken and BioShock aren't Sony exclusives either. Fail indeed.

Metal Gear Solid, Devil May Cry and Tekken all used to be though
---
Magnificent Seven had the greatest soundtrack ever. FACT.
PSN: Joshelplex
#90NarukuboyPosted 11/24/2012 9:42:39 AM
ToroStationMeow posted...
Bestia_Somnia posted...
Skullgirls and Persona 4 Arena are newish and don't have anywhere near 20 characters.

Another good example.

Sprites.
---
http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m9g3dtmMrw1rduef9o1_500.png