This game flopped is because the public doesn't GAF about these characters

#121Ludacris01Posted 11/27/2012 3:22:07 PM(edited)
^ because its the first bloody game of a completely NEW franchise
---
"that ambipom is on crack" - Lemonz89
Official Spyro of the PAS:BR board. SPYRO THE DRAGON FOR SONY SMASH
#122SnovvbubPosted 11/27/2012 3:24:45 PM
"Which is a shame because some of his early designs were very creative, but he was toned down SPECIFICALLY to appeal to an everyman type of player."

One of the reasons I wish they used Infamous 1 Cole.
He was much more his own character.

And having a skin with the old clothing, new face model and new voice actor dosen't cut it.
---
PSN: snovvbub
Nariko of the Playstation All-Stars Battle Royal board.
#123JorepPosted 11/27/2012 3:28:45 PM
^ because its the first bloody game of a completely NEW franchise

That isn't a valid excuse, though. With so many titles on the shelf and games costing so much, you can't give a free pass just because something is the first game of a new series.

If Jak and Daxter was awful, it wouldn't have had sequels. Neither would Ratchet, or GoW, or any of them.

They obviously had the licenses to use these characters from the games, I don't think it would have been a stretch to get others from the same game.

I'm not saying this game is awful or anything, just saying it didn't appeal to me, but it's not a stretch to say it could have. When and if they do a sequel, I'm willing to look at it objectively.

One of the reasons I wish they used Infamous 1 Cole.
He was much more his own character.

And having a skin with the old clothing, new face model and new voice actor dosen't cut it.

(SPOILERS FOR INFAMOUS)

Kessler would have been a much better use than Evil Cole, as well. At the least, it's a more creative choice.

I have to admit, I really, really liked the original neopunk ideas they had for Cole.
I really do love the InFamous games, they're a lot of fun. It's just Cole I take issue with.
---
http://www.abovethewage.com
Through fire, justice is served!
#124TheNardDogPosted 11/27/2012 3:30:53 PM
cloudrivera posted...
The PlayStation roster is ok, my problem is with the 3rd party roster

What this game needs is Megaman! F*** Dante!

Who's with me?!

But seriously, if they really wanted impact ,the 3rd party chars should have been:

Megaman
Lara Croft
Alucard
Heihachi
Sonic
Snake

Yea i know the last two were in smash but people already compare it to smash anyway so f*** it, use them

GTFO Megaman isn't a PS All-Star.
---
Robbit (Jumping Flash!) definitely most wanted AND deserving for PS All-Stars Battle Royale!!!
Also, Sullivan is still a dirty old man.
#125CyborgTwentyPosted 11/27/2012 3:40:18 PM
deathpapaya posted...

They should have gotten MGS 1 Snake not raiden, DMC 1 or 3 Dante not dmc dante, a Resident Evil char like Jill, Chris, or Leon. A FF char like Sapiroth or Croud. Crash, Spyro. They may not have saved the game but it wouldn't have flopped as hard with them.

this game IS not PlayStation 1 All-Stars Battle Royale. you only want ps1 characters and 1 ps2 character and not a single ps3 character in a ps3 game? they pretty much nailed the balance of characters per generation.

6 ps1 characters:
Parappa
Sweet Tooth
Heihachi
Sir Dan
Spike
Toro

7 ps2 characters:
Kratos
Colonel Radec
Sly
Ratchet
Jak
Raiden
Dante

6 ps3 characters:
Fat Princess
Nathan Drake
Cole McGrath
Big Daddy
Nariko
Sackboy
#126Knowledge_KingPosted 11/27/2012 3:41:08 PM
You guys need to stop just claiming everyone are Icons. Cause most of them aren't. For example, as stated before, I've been a Playstation owner from 1 to 3 and I know the following people in this game:

Raiden
Kratos
Dante (cause of old Dante)
Parappa
Sackboy
Sweet Tooth
Heihachi

The people I kinda know if I saw them, but wouldn't know the name, just the game:
Nariko
Jak and Daxter
maybe Sly?
Big Daddy

People who I only know if you say their name as I have no idea what they look like:
Cole (kinda)
Nathan Drake

I only truly know7 of the 20 as you can see and I've played hundreds of games, mostly on Playstation. Yet most these people are new to me. Clearly they aren't as iconic as people think they are.
---
http://www.reverbnation.com/intellectualquota
http://www.datpiff.com/Intellectual-Quota-Intellectual-World-mixtape.287780.html
#127Pinoy441Posted 11/27/2012 3:48:59 PM

Again we go to smash bros

No one knew Ice Climbers

No one knew Fire Emblem

Not many remembered PIt

Games don't need every character to be lolomgeveryonerecognizes

to be successful
---
*grabs popcorn*
#128Myles98Posted 11/27/2012 3:55:35 PM
Knowledge_King posted...
You guys need to stop just claiming everyone are Icons. Cause most of them aren't. For example, as stated before, I've been a Playstation owner from 1 to 3 and I know the following people in this game:

Raiden
Kratos
Dante (cause of old Dante)
Parappa
Sackboy
Sweet Tooth
Heihachi

The people I kinda know if I saw them, but wouldn't know the name, just the game:
Nariko
Jak and Daxter
maybe Sly?
Big Daddy

People who I only know if you say their name as I have no idea what they look like:
Cole (kinda)
Nathan Drake

I only truly know7 of the 20 as you can see and I've played hundreds of games, mostly on Playstation. Yet most these people are new to me. Clearly they aren't as iconic as people think they are.

I've owned all three playstations too and I only really know and recognise are:
Ratchet & clank
Jak & Daxter
Big daddy
Nariko
Nathan drake
Sackboy
Raiden
Sly (only recently)

People like Radec, Sweet tooth, Dante, Sir Dan and the like are a mystery to me.
---
PSN ID: GRANDSCENARIOS
#129JorepPosted 11/27/2012 3:58:12 PM
I'd like to pose, going in another direction, that his game was also marketed entirely incorrectly.

CyborgTwenty, you are right. This is not Playstation 1 All Stars. Therein lies the problem.

It's a well known fact that the Playstation is not the go-to system of children. The Wii has games for families, and the 360 has a large swath of child friendly games.

The Playstation move was an unmitigated disaster. We're all fans here, so let's openly admit that. Awesome design, poor implementation.

The Playstation 3 does not have many child friendly games. It is, at its core, a mature gamers' system. There's nothing wrong with that, but that's what it is. There ARE kid friendly games, but many (like Ratchet or Sly) have mass market appeal as well, and are more mature than, say, Sesame Street's Once Upon A Monster, Or Mario All Stars Baseball.

As mature gamers, who are the core PS3 market, we grew up on the Playstation 1. Those are our all stars. Speaking personally, I was a teenager when Jak and Daxter and Ratchet and Clank came out.
Those were fun games, but they didn't capture my childish heart the way Crash or Spyro had, and they never would.

That's the reason Smash was successful. They my have had lesser known characters like Pit or Ice Climbers, but they knew a large portion of the Smash Bros. audience would know them, being older, hardcore gamers. I'm not going to harp on Smash Bros, so let's get back to the point.

As adults, we can enjoy a character like Nathan Drake. We can watch him on screen and have fun. But we're at a developmental stage where he cannot live on in our hearts like an icon (or at least not in mine). I remember him, but I don't associate those fond childhood memories with him.

Or any of the characters in this game, save PaRappa and Sir Dan.

And that's why the game does not appeal to a large majority of older gamers like myself. All the characters in this game came from great games in their own right, but they're not characters I feel any kind of bond with.
They're not characters I feel the need to go out and buy an average fighting game for.

Back to the point, the core audience is older, more mature gamers.

PSABR is a game that fails to appeal to us because it does not capture our hearts, lacking the "All Stars" we grew up loving.
It has its own roster of "All Stars," yes, but they're not ours.

It will appeal to some people. I don't disagree with that notion.

But it will not appeal to the target audience, and that's why it's flopping in sales.
---
http://www.abovethewage.com
Through fire, justice is served!
#130Myles98Posted 11/27/2012 4:00:56 PM
Jorep posted...
I'd like to pose, going in another direction, that his game was also marketed entirely incorrectly.

CyborgTwenty, you are right. This is not Playstation 1 All Stars. Therein lies the problem.

It's a well known fact that the Playstation is not the go-to system of children. The Wii has games for families, and the 360 has a large swath of child friendly games.

The Playstation move was an unmitigated disaster. We're all fans here, so let's openly admit that. Awesome design, poor implementation.

The Playstation 3 does not have many child friendly games. It is, at its core, a mature gamers' system. There's nothing wrong with that, but that's what it is. There ARE kid friendly games, but many (like Ratchet or Sly) have mass market appeal as well, and are more mature than, say, Sesame Street's Once Upon A Monster, Or Mario All Stars Baseball.

As mature gamers, who are the core PS3 market, we grew up on the Playstation 1. Those are our all stars. Speaking personally, I was a teenager when Jak and Daxter and Ratchet and Clank came out.
Those were fun games, but they didn't capture my childish heart the way Crash or Spyro had, and they never would.

That's the reason Smash was successful. They my have had lesser known characters like Pit or Ice Climbers, but they knew a large portion of the Smash Bros. audience would know them, being older, hardcore gamers. I'm not going to harp on Smash Bros, so let's get back to the point.

As adults, we can enjoy a character like Nathan Drake. We can watch him on screen and have fun. But we're at a developmental stage where he cannot live on in our hearts like an icon (or at least not in mine). I remember him, but I don't associate those fond childhood memories with him.

Or any of the characters in this game, save PaRappa and Sir Dan.

And that's why the game does not appeal to a large majority of older gamers like myself. All the characters in this game came from great games in their own right, but they're not characters I feel any kind of bond with.
They're not characters I feel the need to go out and buy an average fighting game for.

Back to the point, the core audience is older, more mature gamers.

PSABR is a game that fails to appeal to us because it does not capture our hearts, lacking the "All Stars" we grew up loving.
It has its own roster of "All Stars," yes, but they're not ours.

It will appeal to some people. I don't disagree with that notion.

But it will not appeal to the target audience, and that's why it's flopping in sales.

This guy knows what's up. Crash 2 will always be my first and favourite game.
---
PSN ID: GRANDSCENARIOS