Seth Killian explains hostility against this game.

#1blaze19_0XPosted 11/27/2012 12:55:29 PM(edited)
Of course!” Seth says laughing. “Part of being in the core fighting game community is also about looking hard all of the time, and you're the tough guy. There's a natural conservatism or resistance to the new and to change. That's not just being curmudgeonly, or that people are dumb or don't appreciate new games. It's literally protecting your investment.

“If I'm quite good at Arcade Edition 2012 and Street Fighter 5 comes out and it doesn't play exactly like Street Fighter 4 or it doesn't reward the skills I've built in, I will be thumbs down about it or inherently resistant to it. I have a literal investment. Obviously there's the cost of the game, but there's thousands of hours I've spent practising to be really good at this game and really mastering the details of it.

“So when something comes out that potentially doesn't reward my exact skill set, I'm going to be reticent and resistent to it. It's hard to get past that and appreciate the value of what's new. If a new game comes out and everybody likes it, and they're like, ah yeah, Street Fighter 4, that's the old stuff, no-one cares about that old man! You're like, oh, my investment. It's now worth that much less.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-11-26-seth-killians-uphill-fight-with-playstation-all-stars-battle-royale

And he's 100% right. Even as far as the same franchise goes. 3rd strike players hated SF4 at first. Melee players hated Brawl.

Myself, I came into PSASBR thinking I'd do well soley because of my Smash and Street Fighter background. I thought I'd have a free ride because of that. Now while they did help me a bit ultimately I got dominated at first until I realized that this game has its mechanics and play styles to master. And a lot of people seem to hate that because they felt their previous experiences in the genre was worthless.

---
http://allstararena.com
Competitve Hub for Playstation All-Stars Battle Royale
#2OdahviingPosted 11/27/2012 12:54:57 PM
Needs more italics
#3blaze19_0X(Topic Creator)Posted 11/27/2012 12:55:50 PM
Odahviing posted...
Needs more italics

Fixed now. I just copied and pasted directly with the quotes.
---
#4iLovebabesPosted 11/27/2012 12:56:31 PM
First thats wrong. I never played 3rd strike but i know people who enjoyed both. I played melee and brawl and again know many people who enjoyed both. You get the whole Brawl sucks, melee is better thing, and Street fighter when you add the crappy FGC in to this. The FGC is what make people do this crap. By the the way Seth is a hack.
---
Smash bros = party fighter---
Sony Smash = marketing fighter---360-PS3-Wii-3DS
#5DirtyToenailsPosted 11/27/2012 12:57:07 PM
The unfortunate part is that it's a totally new franchise. Even though people hated SF4 when it first dropped, the Street Fighter name was still on it and players are almost forced to make the transition.

PSABR absolutely deserves to hit casual and competitive circuits, but if SSBB still hasn't even been at EVO yet... they are just going to have to work their asses off.
#6Chzrm3Posted 11/27/2012 12:57:49 PM(edited)
iLovebabes posted...
First thats wrong. I never played 3rd strike but i know people who enjoyed both. I played melee and brawl and again know many people who enjoyed both. You get the whole Brawl sucks, melee is better thing, and Street fighter when you add the crappy FGC in to this. The FGC is what make people do this crap. By the the way Seth is a hack.

It's actually a pretty insightful article, and the stuff he's saying about people hating a new version of a fighting game is definitely true.
---
If I haven't mentioned Trivio in my post, it's because she is so beautiful and precarious that I just wanted to show her how much she means to me.
#7blaze19_0X(Topic Creator)Posted 11/27/2012 12:58:18 PM
iLovebabes posted...

Seth is literally talking about the competitive community here. Way to miss the point.

And I'd say it applies to casuals as well. Or are you seriously telling me no casual player wanted a percent or health system in PSASBR? Were you here when this board opened up? Lol.
---
#8vital_tundraPosted 11/27/2012 12:58:41 PM
Brawl doesn't suck, but Melee IS better. But it doesn't matter because I play Project M...
---
I wish Blastoise was my dad. He wouldn't beat my mom like what her boyfriend, Johnny does. If Blastoise was my dad things would be different around here.
#9TheNardDogPosted 11/27/2012 12:59:00 PM
Odahviing posted...
Needs more italics

Also more juicy secrets
---
Robbit (Jumping Flash!) definitely most wanted AND deserving for PS All-Stars Battle Royale!!!
Also, Sullivan is still a dirty old man.
#10iLovebabesPosted 11/27/2012 1:00:33 PM
I dont know what you mean. I know when the super win thing was announce everyone was dissing on it. Now i would say half except it 50% hate it and are trolls. I really dont know what the casuals wanted.
---
Smash bros = party fighter---
Sony Smash = marketing fighter---360-PS3-Wii-3DS