IGN: PlayStation All-Stars Sales "are Right on Target", Sony says

#91AerodarPosted 11/27/2012 5:32:56 PM
christiankid7 posted...
Aerodar posted...
christiankid7 posted...
Theres also the possibility that since the Christmas season is approaching sales could pick up then,

I think Sony is sincere when they say that they expected low sales. Consider this-

-Its a controversial game. No other console manufacturer has ever entered into Nintendo's territory with a game like theirs. People hate it for being a 'Smash Bros Ripoff'. People hate it because its not enough of a Smash Brothers Ripoff.

-Its a fighter. Fighters are pretty Niche titles (or they were) They don't sell that well compared to FPS games or Sports Games. (At least I think, I haven't checked sales for fighters in a while)

-Its the first week. Sony did not market this game as much as they could. Sales could pick up by word of mouth, which LITERALLY is the only way this game will sell.

there are other points (unappealing box art (to some people), 'Evil Cole is a clone', 'Y Is Big Daddy n dis gaem? BIOSHOCK is Microsoft!', Lack of Crash,Spyro,Cloud,Snake, etc. Some people STILL don't know Sony doesn't own Crash and Spyro anymore. When they see this game they would think that Crash and Spyro would be in. It turns people away. No it is NOT Superbots fault,It is NOT Sony's fault. But people don't care at all.,The roster is also 'unappealing' (basically my above statement)

Sony probably expects weak sales

Cloud and all FF = Dissidia sorry to burst your bubble. This is also not your typical fighter game that involves at least 4 people unless you can name me another and not say smash bros.

BTW Bioshock is owned by 2K Marin, that is NOT Microsoft.

I don't understand why you are bringing up Dissidia. All I meant was that Cloud was a big part of Sony History with the PS1 and is considered an Icon of that era. Square Enix refused to put a FF character in this game because they want to see if it will be good enough for a sequel. I think thats a dumb reason but thats just me.

The Fact that this isn't a typical fighter is even worse. This genre is dominated by Smash. Anyone that tries to enter (ESPECIALLY guys like Sony) will have a lot of trouble getting into it without being labeled as Ripoff artists.

Yeah there are a couple of them (CNPTE,Viewtiful Joe Red Hot Rumble,Battle Arena D.O.N.,The outfoxies,DreamMix TV:World Fighters,PowerStone,TMNT Smash Up, etc.)

And yeah, of course I know that. Bioshock is 2K. I'm saying that casuals will remember Bioshock as a Microsoft Exclusive and whine about how Crash isn't in, but BD is.

Well for one thing PSABR is its own kind, I'm not going to compare them to smash even though I am a huge fan. I see major differences in the game as I have been play for quite a bit now. The winner between the two will always be the newer one. Not many play Smash now anyways and the online was garbage on it. So this is the PERFECT time to release a game that you people think is a clone.

Now about cloud, I understand that he was a great impact when ff7 came out and believe me I would love for him to come on board. I def did not hear about the games you guys posted above so ya it was a little ignorance but I still believe SE will not let any FF enter the mix.

I found out later that Crash was not Sony but that doesn't mean he can't be in it like you stated, why is Bioshock in there if the game is on 360 as well. There are possibilities for Crash still but I can't see Cloud or any FF character coming into play, this is opinion yes. TBH I only remember him in Kingdom Hearts and maybe some racing game.
---
"It is what it is."
#92AalviPosted 11/27/2012 6:04:28 PM
Chzrm3 posted...
Aalvi posted...
Seems kind of selfish that any flaws(that the game does indeed have) are being covered up and denied by people on these boards just to recruit more people to getting the game to secure future DLC and a sequel. It only encourages them to put no effort since if sales are good, they might simply be like "we did everything perfect" and make a lazy effort for the next game.

That's not what any of us have done. Look through the board, we've been very critical of the fact that you can't do 1 v 1's in ranked, we gave Superbot a lot of crap about the menus, and there are a flotilla of balance complaints constantly being posted.

Nobody is pretending the game is perfect, and no one is delusional enough to think that if we just act like the game has no flaws then everyone will buy it and we'll get DLC. XD

If we were doing what you thought we were doing, then in the recent thread where someone asked if you could do ranked 1 v 1 matches, we all would've said "Yes, you can, and they're extremely fun! : DDDD ENJOY THEM!!!!"

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/668999-playstation-all-stars-battle-royale/64760042

So yeah, there's no sweeping under the rug of the game's flaws. In fact, we dragged them out into the open and exposed them before the trolls even thought to.

At the end of the day, is it so hard to believe that many of us just legitimately love this game and think it's incredible (flaws and all), even though you personally aren't as smitten with it?

No it isn't hard to believe, you and many others aren't doing it(sadly I don't see you guys in topics....stop lurking).

And reading what your quoted, I really should re-word that -_-. Some people are bashing those who say anything they perceive negative(gfaqs generalizes them as fanboys) and some are provoking and bashing those who say anything perceived positive(trolls I suppose).

Now if I came in the topic and discussed how the games potential was wasted with the roster, I would get bashed, belittled maybe, labelled a troll in effort to make my statements meaningless. A problem I actually do have is with the online which hasn't been too kind to me(funny since I do win a lot though). Being apart of the beta, I've had the same problems there as well, it annoys me that Superbot failed to deal with these issues. Some topics I mention these things or other people mention these things, get singled out and left to die.

If a guy made a topic right now as to how the game is and I went in and told it to him straight. I would be giving the pros and cons and my personal take then adding at that end that this person doesn't even have to listen to me or my thoughts, I automatically become at risk of people coming in, labeling me as a troll and basically BS created to hide away the fact that the online mode is suffering from a bunch of problems and that there is very little content that shouldn't warrant a price tag of 59.99(seriously Blazblue at least lowered CS price tag to 44.99 since not much was added).

Those issues are as real as it gets, I'm not doing it simply for this game, the laziness of the video game industry is getting tedious for someone spending their hard earned money and I know we can do something about it. There are a bunch of other games that simply give off this "they're going to eat it up and force themselves to like it anyways, so why bother" feeling.

...God dammit square >_>
---
Check out my backlog: http://backloggery.com/aalvi
PSN ID: Aalvi-S|http://psnprofiles.com/Aalvi-S|3DS FC in Profile
#93SavageTrooperPosted 11/27/2012 6:06:13 PM
ylvis posted...
CyborgTwenty posted...
rumbalumba posted...
CyborgTwenty posted...
ylvis posted...
means only selling between 2k-4k. That's really bad :(

i agree this game has 2k life time sales and it's over. not a single more copy will be sold.

sales don't go up after the first week.

ok that means it will be around 3000 copies lifetime sales right?

Who has said anything about lifetime sales? Right now the only thing we know is that the game debuted horrible with a 38th place ranking in the UK chart, which means 2k-4k copies sold in its debut.

Why do you fail to understand that those charts (and the reason it is 38) were numbers of units sold in 1 day compared to the other games on that list that were released earlier in the week?
---
PSN: SAVAGETROOPER
#94AalviPosted 11/27/2012 6:16:46 PM
Mightymega posted...
Aalvi posted...
Chzrm3 posted...
Aalvi posted...
Also people really fixate on the sales of the game

I personally don't have that high an opinion of the game(for very valid reasons). But you guys seem all happy about it, why let this bother you?

It doesn't help your stance if you are constantly trying to prove it didn't flop and comes off as reassurance and justification that your money was well spent on a "good" game.

My stance on the game is that isn't so horridly bad and it isn't so amazingly good as people on these boards make it out to be(for both ways). But honestly, don't worry about sales if you truly and sincerely like and enjoy the game, cause I'm starting to get the idea that many of you don't and are just "dealing with what you bought", the constant defense of the game seems to show people are aware of whatever flaws are in that are affecting sales and are just afraid to realize and admit it(followed by coping with it).

We want the game to sell well because we want more DLC and for this to become a long-time franchise, the same as Smash.

OR if the sales were average or bad and the criticisms kept coming, maybe they'll give up or decide to do something about it and correct and better anything already with the game. Once again I use this example everywhere but FFXIV and its failure to sell and please fans in general was a wake up call to SE. They basically went "oh wow I didn't realize how bad things were, how could we do this to our consumers" and proceeded to remake the entire game.

I want Superbot to do whatevers necessary to make a polished and clean title, and when and if it does achieve sales the likes of AAA titles, it'll be the stuff of legends(lol).

While that's true I think and i'm positive that they are aware of the criticisms of the game as a whole. Also unlike square-enix who has been in the game for a long time this is superbot first outing and they know their game has flaws. Some people praise the game to much I agree but at the same time some people bash the game to much as well. Some people don't know how good a game is until they play it and not everyone is also going to like the same things about a game.

Yes we shouldn't promote lazy effort but this game was anything but, people shouldn't confuse laziness with budget which they obviously didn't have a lot of as well as time.

Well put, but I have to ask, was Superbot not made up of people very experienced with creating fighters and fighting games in general as far as the concept of one goes?

How could they forget the aspect of balancing the fighters and at least closing the gap of the tiers which have to yet to be determined. Also they seem undecided as to whether this is a party brawler with no emphasis on skill just plain wacky fun or a serious fighter with skill involved when they created this fighting system with supers and combos.

This is opinion, but I don't think the ideas meshed well and if they were set on making it in depth and unique, maybe a MVC approach would have suited it better(just a thought).
---
Check out my backlog: http://backloggery.com/aalvi
PSN ID: Aalvi-S|http://psnprofiles.com/Aalvi-S|3DS FC in Profile
#95LuminescentRulePosted 11/27/2012 6:18:58 PM
http://www.lazygamer.net/general-news/sonys-happy-with-the-vitas-performance/
---
150,000 first week worldwide
http://card.psnprofiles.com/1/EmperorLawlight.png
#96MajesticFerretPosted 11/27/2012 6:28:01 PM
This is coming from someone who loves this game, but this game will do perfectly fine financially because I don't think this game had a very large budget.

There's a reason it got a lot of advertisement characters instead of the ones they wanted and it was given to an entirely new developer: it's was an experiment by Sony for a new IP, and people don't invest that heavily in an experiment.

Someone probably proposed a PS Smash game, and Sony was like, "**** it, throw together a team of fighting game creators/gamers, here's a few million, make it happen."

Between paying the team and the graphic designers, they honestly probably didn't have that much money to throw at characters to buy their IPs, which is why we have so many blatant advertisement characters. A lot of the characters like Dante and Raiden were probably given to this game free of charge to advertise new games coming out and to keep a good relationship with Sony.

This is why I'm optimistic about DLC. Money talks. SB offers Activision a solid cut for Crash/Spyro DLC and there's literally zero reason for them to NOT do it. However, if Activision wanted a large slice of pie from a new found company with a low budget, it just wasn't going to fit with their budget.

After all, budgets are build around LOW END estimates, not high end.
---
Sanity is a one trick pony, all you get with it is rational thought, but with crazy the sky's the limit.
#97AnclationPosted 11/27/2012 6:30:12 PM
Given how Sony likes to define these things, I'd wait for the actual US numbers before jumping to conclusions about its performance there. The results from Europe are another story though, and if Sony's saying that its performance there is satisfactory then they're simply pulling another Vita. You're not gonna impress people in the long run by just polishing turds.
#98rocketdischargePosted 11/27/2012 6:31:24 PM
wow, so even Sony expected this game to suck.
---
Sagat nerfed? He can Tiger Uppercut the wing off the plane!
#99Retroxgamer0Posted 11/27/2012 6:36:11 PM
Furryyiffer posted...
Right on target indicates they are selling what they hoped for, zam. There's no argument for it flopping if it's meeting their expectations.

stop saying zam, dood
#100ChimcharwhoohooPosted 11/27/2012 6:56:53 PM
MajesticFerret posted...
This is coming from someone who loves this game, but this game will do perfectly fine financially because I don't think this game had a very large budget.

There's a reason it got a lot of advertisement characters instead of the ones they wanted and it was given to an entirely new developer: it's was an experiment by Sony for a new IP, and people don't invest that heavily in an experiment.

Someone probably proposed a PS Smash game, and Sony was like, "**** it, throw together a team of fighting game creators/gamers, here's a few million, make it happen."

Between paying the team and the graphic designers, they honestly probably didn't have that much money to throw at characters to buy their IPs, which is why we have so many blatant advertisement characters. A lot of the characters like Dante and Raiden were probably given to this game free of charge to advertise new games coming out and to keep a good relationship with Sony.

This is why I'm optimistic about DLC. Money talks. SB offers Activision a solid cut for Crash/Spyro DLC and there's literally zero reason for them to NOT do it. However, if Activision wanted a large slice of pie from a new found company with a low budget, it just wasn't going to fit with their budget.

After all, budgets are build around LOW END estimates, not high end.

Superbot cant make negotiations with other 3rd party companies. Only those within sony. Only Sony can negotiate with other companies. Thats why we dont have Crash and Spyro, or any SE character. Because Superbot doesnt have the authority to negotiate with them.
---
PSN~ MilliardoPcraft
Raging Blast 2 Main Team: SSJTrunks(Sword), Cell Jr., Android #17, Meta-Cooler, Salza