How to actually make a tier list

#1XpLiCiT_GaMiNgPosted 11/30/2012 10:10:21 AM
Is there really any way this is done?

The only conceivable way (to me) to make an accurate tier list would be to take each character in online matches and compare the total number of matches played by them relative to the total number of first place victories they have. You would need to do this in both FFA and 2v2, and weight them according to frequency.

Nope, not a stats major... I just don't see how else anyone can make a tier list without it being PATHETICALLY personally biased.

Thoughts?
---
Everyone's posts should at one point include a "tl;dr" because this is GameFaqs: honestly no one cares for your opinions.
PSN: Triple_Threat
#2Valefor500Posted 11/30/2012 10:11:48 AM
You'd have to consider playability in the rights hands tbh. Stats doesn't cover bad players.
---
majora999 - Not changing sig until Gamefreak brings back R/S/E Secret Bases ~ 10/7/12
#3Retroxgamer0Posted 11/30/2012 10:15:36 AM(edited)
theres two types of tier lists. the ones that i like to make and think about which is for the average gamer whos playing the game, this would probably have raiden or sackboy in the top spot, and then the niche tourney tier list which i feel 99% of this board cant make, and can only copy and paste, and it is irrelevant to us, because it doesnt concern us, until we become the 1%, and then we prob wont post on this site anyways, because gamefaqs isnt a competitive enough website for tournament players. most of the stuff we post here is just for fun, i mean when we fight, we can unanonymously agree raidens OP, and he is, for the average joe. if you are a competitive super nerd who lives and breathes this game, i bet raiden isnt even in the top tier bracket its prob like dante and his infinity combos or nathan drake with infinite loops or something >_>
#4hajile12Posted 11/30/2012 10:17:59 AM
I think tier lists should be created by matchups. If a character has the least amount of bad matchups then others then he is of the upper tiers.

In time, good and bad matchups will become obvious.

Sackboy does not seem to have a bad match-up. Sackboy=God Tier
---
Somtimes i go to dog parks even though i dont have a dog. I bring a leash though and i wear a very shifty look. =I
#5BombermanFanaticPosted 11/30/2012 10:20:02 AM
Most tier list are made up of 2 things, Tournament results, and match up analysis, and it's done by considering top level play. And they aren't really done by one person, it's often done by many. So no, no one Gamefaqs user will ever be able to produce an accurate tier list.
---
I enjoyed Shadow the Hedgehog.
# Of other people who have: 65,including taoxadasa
#6hajile12Posted 11/30/2012 10:21:34 AM
BombermanFanatic posted...
Most tier list are made up of 2 things, Tournament results, and match up analysis, and it's done by considering top level play. And they aren't really done by one person, it's often done by many. So no, no one Gamefaqs user will ever be able to produce an accurate tier list.

This guy gets it!
---
Somtimes i go to dog parks even though i dont have a dog. I bring a leash though and i wear a very shifty look. =I
#7marceloxlrPosted 11/30/2012 10:26:33 AM(edited)
IMO, there are 5 aspects to consider in this game:

1==>How good the character is up close: Combos are here(does the character have a lot of combos? How easy or hard are the combos? etc...)

2==>How good the character in on mid-long distance: Weapons or projectiles are here

3==>How good the specials of that character are: Range, how much it lasts, etc...

4==>How easy it is to land the specials: Range of the attack, delay before the hit, etc...

5==>How good is the character at getting AP: Self explanatory.

"Why aren't you considering the player skill level?" because every character can be good at the hands of a good player.

Example: for a character to be considered god tier, he must be good at everything: he ust not have any weak aspects at all, (not considering the skill level of the player).

My opinion, anyway.
---
"...Because inside people's memories, i can live forever."
-Axel