Why no single player adventure mode like SSB?

#101TheBestGman2007Posted 12/3/2012 1:41:42 AM
kupo1705 posted...
The gameplay is the foundation of a game.
If the gameplay is bad, the whole game falls apart.
There's no such thing as a good game with bad gameplay.

Given our "history" I'm suprised you'd say that.

There's plenty of games that are love by many, that don't have good gamplay.
---
"If season is two, is better than season one, it'll go down as the greatest show of all time." - Myself.
Official nomad of Gamefaqs...
#102blaze19_0XPosted 12/3/2012 1:41:54 AM
My point is that at all great games have memorable characters and stories. In 10 years nobody will be saying: "Man remember [game's] control scheme? Man, I remember, pressing X, then O!!! Those were the days." They'll say: "I remember [Character's name], and his struggle."

This is literally what he said earlier. Quoting him directly is putting words into his mouth?

I don't care what he said next to contradict himself. I was only ever referring to this statement.
---
http://allstararena.com
Competitve Hub for Playstation All-Stars Battle Royale
#103kupo1705Posted 12/3/2012 1:42:19 AM
TheBestGman2007 posted...
kupo1705 posted...

Like what?
#104TheBestGman2007Posted 12/3/2012 1:43:38 AM
kupo1705 posted...
kupo1705 posted...

Like what?

NieR, it's a pretty generic ARPG, but it's story saved from being terrible.
---
"If season is two, is better than season one, it'll go down as the greatest show of all time." - Myself.
#105kupo1705Posted 12/3/2012 1:44:52 AM
kupo1705 posted...
kupo1705 posted...

Like what?

I liked the gameplay.
While the melee combat is uninteresting, the magic system is great.
#106Jolts_DPosted 12/3/2012 1:45:44 AM
Let me put it like this: Minecraft literally has endless hours of gameplay, but do you think anyone would put in a list of greatest games of all time? Bioshock, Majora's Mask, Minecraft?

Yes, I would, if I actually enjoyed playing the game (I've never played Minecraft). How about Super Mario Bros., The Legend of Zelda, or Tetris? They either didn't have any story, or it was limited to a simple paragraph in the instruction booklet. Then there's even earlier with old arcade and Atari classics, like Pitfall, Donkey Kong, and Pong. They might have had stories, but chances are you had no idea what it was when you first played through the game. Heck, I bet you wouldn't even know that Arkanoid was about a guy in a weird looking space ship. No, you would probably just think it's another simple Breakout clone.
Kids these days... Well, I guess time is always changing things.
---
PSN: Jolts_D -- Wii: 4904 4141 7630 4936
Gamertag: Jragun -- Steam: Jragun
#107TheBestGman2007Posted 12/3/2012 1:46:42 AM
kupo1705 posted...
kupo1705 posted...
kupo1705 posted...

Like what?

I liked the gameplay.
While the melee combat is uninteresting, the magic system is great.

I did too, but it's pretty cut-and-dry in gameplay. It's one of my all time fav games though. Same with Heavy Rain, people just thought it was QTE to QTE, but a good story saved it again.
---
#108TheBestGman2007Posted 12/3/2012 1:47:58 AM
Jolts_D posted...
Let me put it like this: Minecraft literally has endless hours of gameplay, but do you think anyone would put in a list of greatest games of all time? Bioshock, Majora's Mask, Minecraft?

Yes, I would, if I actually enjoyed playing the game (I've never played Minecraft). How about Super Mario Bros., The Legend of Zelda, or Tetris? They either didn't have any story, or it was limited to a simple paragraph in the instruction booklet. Then there's even earlier with old arcade and Atari classics, like Pitfall, Donkey Kong, and Pong. They might have had stories, but chances are you had no idea what it was when you first played through the game. Heck, I bet you wouldn't even know that Arkanoid was about a guy in a weird looking space ship. No, you would probably just think it's another simple Breakout clone.
Kids these days... Well, I guess time is always changing things.

Zelda didn't have a story?!?! NO, kids THESE days... *facepalms*
---
#109johnluke728Posted 12/3/2012 1:48:19 AM
blaze19_0X posted...
You are changing your argument now. Here's what you said earlier:

My point is that at all great games have memorable characters and stories. In 10 years nobody will be saying: "Man remember [game's] control scheme? Man, I remember, pressing X, then O!!! Those were the days." They'll say: "I remember [Character's name], and his struggle."

And the other poster clearly said gameplay doesn't matter it's just hitting plastic buttons.

It's only hitting plastic buttons if there's no reason or motivation to do so. "Oh hey, here's a gun, go shoot stuff." Not my idea of a first-person shooter. So I'm guessing you would be just fine walking around as a blip on the screen shooting cheese wheels all day, woo hoo.

If I want something with just pure gameplay I'll pick up Asteroids, reset the score counter a few times, and turn it off for another five years from just how freaking boring that was. So glad somebody thought to put a story in games when Donkey Kong hit the arcades, that felt way more rewarding.

Once again, everything in balance. Without a good story, good game play can't save a badly written story. Without good game play, it's not worthing wrestling with its controls just to see what happens next.
---
http://shantaefanforums.tk/ <-- Huge fan of the Shantae games? Then you should check the first fan forum that's all about the belly-dancing half-genie!
#110kupo1705Posted 12/3/2012 1:48:21 AM
I did too, but it's pretty cut-and-dry in gameplay. It's one of my all time fav games though. Same with Heavy Rain, people just thought it was QTE to QTE, but a good story saved it again.

My point is, the gameplay isn't bad.
If it was really bad, it would have been a bad game.