Why no single player adventure mode like SSB?

#131johnluke728Posted 12/3/2012 2:01:41 AM
blaze19_0X posted...
kupo1705 posted...
johnluke728 posted...
Without a good story, good game play can't save a badly written story.

Yes it can.

This.

Example: Mario.

Example: Nearly every fighting game ever.

Except Mario never had a badly written story that I know of, no matter how little or much dialogue was in any of the games. Heck, most of the cutscenes in Super Mario World were hilarious! XD

All the fighting games I play at least have a decent story to them. Chun Li's story in Super Street Fighter II wasn't half bad, for one; she was the most believable character out of the whole roster, IMO. Everyone else in the series is a joke story-wise though, so without her, I would have never touched the SF games. Mortal Kombat 9 was pretty okay story-wise too.

As for Soul Caliber and other fighting games I can think of, yikes, so many bad excuses to start a fight. XD I have to at least agree with you on that point, most fighting games don't really have a story worth reading into.
---
http://shantaefanforums.tk/ <-- Huge fan of the Shantae games? Then you should check the first fan forum that's all about the belly-dancing half-genie!
#132johnluke728Posted 12/3/2012 2:03:33 AM
kupo1705 posted...
Ludacris01 posted...
Oh ho ho man, I can't wait to experience Super Mario Galaxys story again

It has such an amazing story.
If it weren't for the story, I wouldn't have played it.

Gotta admit, the sarcasm here is blood hilarious. XD SMG's story was okay, I just don't like how rushed the beginning was, and the lack of a remotely challenging final boss. ;__;
---
http://shantaefanforums.tk/ <-- Huge fan of the Shantae games? Then you should check the first fan forum that's all about the belly-dancing half-genie!
#133AnomalycadPosted 12/3/2012 2:05:40 AM
BlackFeathers posted...
Would it have killed them? I would have loved to go through a bunch of sony character's worlds. I try not to compare this to SSBros., but damn it's hard not to. Because pretty much what I find lacking in this game, SSB has it.

I know I know, "Go play SSB then Blackfeathers". Well I would, but I don't have a wii...

Because they want to use that for their next selling point, with making that for a sequel.
#134BlackFeathers(Topic Creator)Posted 12/3/2012 3:26:13 AM
johnluke728 posted...
TC, did you mean the Adventure mode from Super Smash Bros. Melee, or the Story mode of Brawl? The former I could see happening with little effort, but the latter? Not so much. I'm sure the devs wanted to do something, ya know, different from Smash Bros. XD

The one from Melee!
---
This is a Message Board. If you can't handle people criticizing a game that they've ALSO paid money for, then your parent's should have raised you better... :/
#135Pink_a_DinkPosted 12/3/2012 3:29:58 AM
BlackFeathers posted...
johnluke728 posted...
TC, did you mean the Adventure mode from Super Smash Bros. Melee, or the Story mode of Brawl? The former I could see happening with little effort, but the latter? Not so much. I'm sure the devs wanted to do something, ya know, different from Smash Bros. XD

The one from Melee!

In my opinion the one from Melee was terrible. Id love to see a story like Brawl though. Because Brawl actually had a story driven adventure mode. The one from Melee was extremely misleading to me. At first it made it seem like it was gonna be a full blown adventure game but then you find yourself constantly fighting regularly like you would in arcade mode. Was just a bit of a disappointment to me.
#136legendofskylandPosted 12/3/2012 8:05:07 AM
Example of Great gameplay, but forgettable story- Just Cause 2
#137Knowledge_KingPosted 12/3/2012 10:18:59 AM
da1on2 posted...
Knowledge_King posted...
snowboard340 posted...
the story mode in brawl was one of the biggest reasons behind me hating it so much. It was god awful, and extremely boring.... Plus, it was how you unlocked characters. I'm glad this game just gave simple stories to each character for single player.

EDIT: Though, i liked melees adventure mode, so i guess adding that to connect battles would have been cool.... As long as it was short. But i feel like they wouldn't have time to make it for each individual character.

If by Story mode you mean subspace emissary, then no, you didn't just unlock characters in that mode. Single player mode, and just logging in time in vs. mode unlocked characters too. I should know cause I didn't play that subspace mode nearly as much as the other modes. Don't just make up stuff.

antking61 posted...
Smash Bros MELEE. The SEQUEL. Everybody keeps overlooking that ASBR is a new IP. This is the 1st entry in the franchise yet they keep comparing it to second and 3rd titles of a series....Seriously why?

Cause this comes out like 10 years after said sequel. It doesn't matter what installment it is, or if it's a new IP, it matters when it comes out. Comparing it to Smash in 1999 would be dumb as hell and nonsensical. It makes sense to compare it to Brawl since Brawl was the latest and most popular game in it's genre.

BTW people need to make up their mind. Either PSASBR is a fighting game, or it's a brawler/party game or whatever it's called, it can't be both. It's clearly meant to be a party brawler like Smash is, yet when people bring up stuff to be added, people compare it to SF and Tekken.

It's not even close to them, so stop comparing them, or this game looks really, really bad by comparison.

Actually no. You're completely wrong on that one.

All games have development cycles in which the game needs to be completed. When creating a new fighting game, most of the time will be spent on creating that fighting system and fine tuning it, then creating the characters. In the developing a sequel, most of those things are already in place so there is significantly more time to put in extras. Unless the concept of time has changed in ten years when the games where developed has no influence on this aspect of the game's development.

What does that have to do with which game it's compared to? Brawl is the most recent game, thus people will compare this game to Brawl. The developers have access to the same technology as Brawl, and thus there is no excuse not to have similar modes besides just no caring or wanting to put in the time.

And yeah, the concept of time hasn't change,d but the amount of time needed to put into a game, and the technology that helps you develop a game have changed, making it much easier than 10 or so years ago. To compare a game in 2012 to a game in 1999 or 2002 makes no sense. Plus the developers technically have infinite time to work on the game. If Sony wanted, they could have had most of the work done before announcing they were working on the game. Nothing is set in stone unless they want it to be.
---
http://www.reverbnation.com/intellectualquota
http://www.datpiff.com/Intellectual-Quota-Intellectual-World-mixtape.287780.html
#138RogueDarkPosted 12/3/2012 10:26:50 AM
2 bad brawl wasn't playable inline because the online mode was a complete joke.

Again online play > short story in a fighting game everytime.
---
Dream team for USA Canada cup 2012 Justin Wong, Wolfkrone, Alex V, Mike Ross and PR Rog.
#139BlackFeathers(Topic Creator)Posted 12/3/2012 11:11:02 AM
kupo1705 posted...
To the people saying Story>Gameplay.

Please be joking.

No he's not :/ Example.... I didn't really like the tedious Folklore gameplay but the story interested me so much that I couldn't stop playing. Stories matter.

Anyway guys quit trying to dissect video games. Every piece is important; the story, the gameplay, graphics to an extent.

It's ALL important.
---
This is a Message Board. If you can't handle people criticizing a game that they've ALSO paid money for, then your parent's should have raised you better... :/
#140Knowledge_KingPosted 12/3/2012 12:14:24 PM
RogueDark posted...
2 bad brawl wasn't playable inline because the online mode was a complete joke.

Again online play > short story in a fighting game everytime.

That's an opinion, my opinion is the complete opposite. I don't really enjoy online play that much.
---
http://www.reverbnation.com/intellectualquota
http://www.datpiff.com/Intellectual-Quota-Intellectual-World-mixtape.287780.html