Why no single player adventure mode like SSB?

#71antking61Posted 12/2/2012 11:15:56 PM
Smash Bros MELEE. The SEQUEL. Everybody keeps overlooking that ASBR is a new IP. This is the 1st entry in the franchise yet they keep comparing it to second and 3rd titles of a series....Seriously why?
---
Hoo Haa!!! I has Signature!!!
#72TheBestGman2007Posted 12/2/2012 11:29:36 PM(edited)
blaze19_0X posted...

You are completely wrong.

No I'm not.

You aren't much of a gamer if all you remember about games is the story and characters.

Lol, I've probably been gaming for 15 years. Story is what's most important, because without all you're doing is pushing plastic buttons infront of a flashing screen. I just don't understand the point of playing a game, if you're not gaining anything from the experience.

Even as far as RPGs go a good story and amazing character development can't save a game with bad gameplay.

That's a load of crap. NieR, Spec Ops the Line, and Heavy Rain are bad because they have shallow repetitive gameplay? If anything, it's backwards. Great stories can redeem uninspired gameplay.

Honestly after reading your post, I think it's just that we both look for different things in our games. All my favorite games (Catherine, Okami, Nier, SotC, and FFIX) are all singleplayer games with great stories. You seem to enjoy playing with others, so you don't care about stories as much.
---
"If season is two, is better than season one, it'll go down as the greatest show of all time." - Myself.
Official nomad of Gamefaqs...
#73Knowledge_KingPosted 12/2/2012 11:49:15 PM
snowboard340 posted...
the story mode in brawl was one of the biggest reasons behind me hating it so much. It was god awful, and extremely boring.... Plus, it was how you unlocked characters. I'm glad this game just gave simple stories to each character for single player.

EDIT: Though, i liked melees adventure mode, so i guess adding that to connect battles would have been cool.... As long as it was short. But i feel like they wouldn't have time to make it for each individual character.

If by Story mode you mean subspace emissary, then no, you didn't just unlock characters in that mode. Single player mode, and just logging in time in vs. mode unlocked characters too. I should know cause I didn't play that subspace mode nearly as much as the other modes. Don't just make up stuff.

antking61 posted...
Smash Bros MELEE. The SEQUEL. Everybody keeps overlooking that ASBR is a new IP. This is the 1st entry in the franchise yet they keep comparing it to second and 3rd titles of a series....Seriously why?

Cause this comes out like 10 years after said sequel. It doesn't matter what installment it is, or if it's a new IP, it matters when it comes out. Comparing it to Smash in 1999 would be dumb as hell and nonsensical. It makes sense to compare it to Brawl since Brawl was the latest and most popular game in it's genre.

BTW people need to make up their mind. Either PSASBR is a fighting game, or it's a brawler/party game or whatever it's called, it can't be both. It's clearly meant to be a party brawler like Smash is, yet when people bring up stuff to be added, people compare it to SF and Tekken.

It's not even close to them, so stop comparing them, or this game looks really, really bad by comparison.
---
http://www.reverbnation.com/intellectualquota
http://www.datpiff.com/Intellectual-Quota-Intellectual-World-mixtape.287780.html
#74SSBR10Posted 12/2/2012 11:51:57 PM
It's either a platform fighter or party fighter. Either way, it IS a fighting game. The same thing also goes for the SSB games.
---
Little Mac, Mega Man, Travis Touchdown for Super Smash Bros. 4.
Street Fighter x Mortal Kombat, Shonen Jump vs. Capcom please.
#75johnluke728Posted 12/2/2012 11:52:21 PM
TheBestGman2007 posted...
Lol, I've probably been gaming for 15 years. Story is what's most important, because without all you're doing is pushing plastic buttons infront of a flashing screen. I just don't understand the point of playing a game, if you're not gaining anything from the experience.

^ Totally second that! *high five* Nothing hardcore about twiddling your thumbs on a plastic controller without a good reason to. I didn't even get into Quake III or Street Fighter games without first understanding what little story there was to either. Heck, I won't even touch a shooter if it has a bad single player campaign, no matter how active the online modes are.
---
http://shantaefanforums.tk/ <-- Huge fan of the Shantae games? Then you should check the first fan forum that's all about the belly-dancing half-genie!
#76geneocidePosted 12/2/2012 11:54:31 PM
johnluke728 posted...

^ Totally second that! *high five* Nothing hardcore about twiddling your thumbs on a plastic controller without a good reason to. I didn't even get into Quake III or Street Fighter games without first understanding what little story there was to either. Heck, I won't even touch a shooter if it has a bad single player campaign, no matter how active the online modes are.

Sarcasm?
---
*Hops on Sony Pony.* Onward my loyal legion of Nintendrones and Xbots!
Ahh! My ding ding dong!
#77ImDyinSquirtlePosted 12/2/2012 11:57:31 PM
johnluke728 posted...

If you want a story, why dont you just read a book? They are 10x more engaging than a video game story will ever be
---
Help me Squirtle, dont just stand there...Im freaking dying
#78TheBestGman2007Posted 12/2/2012 11:58:45 PM
geneocide posted...
johnluke728 posted...

Sarcasm?

More than likely.

I stand by my opinions, I prefer good stories to good gameplay.
---
"If season is two, is better than season one, it'll go down as the greatest show of all time." - Myself.
Official nomad of Gamefaqs...
#79da1on2Posted 12/3/2012 12:03:29 AM
Knowledge_King posted...
snowboard340 posted...
the story mode in brawl was one of the biggest reasons behind me hating it so much. It was god awful, and extremely boring.... Plus, it was how you unlocked characters. I'm glad this game just gave simple stories to each character for single player.

EDIT: Though, i liked melees adventure mode, so i guess adding that to connect battles would have been cool.... As long as it was short. But i feel like they wouldn't have time to make it for each individual character.

If by Story mode you mean subspace emissary, then no, you didn't just unlock characters in that mode. Single player mode, and just logging in time in vs. mode unlocked characters too. I should know cause I didn't play that subspace mode nearly as much as the other modes. Don't just make up stuff.

antking61 posted...

Cause this comes out like 10 years after said sequel. It doesn't matter what installment it is, or if it's a new IP, it matters when it comes out. Comparing it to Smash in 1999 would be dumb as hell and nonsensical. It makes sense to compare it to Brawl since Brawl was the latest and most popular game in it's genre.

BTW people need to make up their mind. Either PSASBR is a fighting game, or it's a brawler/party game or whatever it's called, it can't be both. It's clearly meant to be a party brawler like Smash is, yet when people bring up stuff to be added, people compare it to SF and Tekken.

It's not even close to them, so stop comparing them, or this game looks really, really bad by comparison.

Actually no. You're completely wrong on that one.

All games have development cycles in which the game needs to be completed. When creating a new fighting game, most of the time will be spent on creating that fighting system and fine tuning it, then creating the characters. In the developing a sequel, most of those things are already in place so there is significantly more time to put in extras. Unless the concept of time has changed in ten years when the games where developed has no influence on this aspect of the game's development.
---
Systemwars.com has much more intelligent people than GameFaqs. Post there.
#80johnluke728Posted 12/3/2012 12:11:41 AM
ImDyinSquirtle posted...
johnluke728 posted...

If you want a story, why dont you just read a book? They are 10x more engaging than a video game story will ever be

You're forgetting that a video game can be pretty immersive with its music, controls, and its atmosphere; (Ever been completely in awe of a game's environment before?) the story goes hand-in-hand with the game play.

If either are out of whack, it breaks the whole experience for me. I don't want to wrestle the story out of a badly stringed together game, nor do I want to shoot a billion demons from the pits of Hell with no better reason other than they killed my pet hamster.

Although yes, a book can be pretty involving too; just bought a few new sci-fi novels to read recently, actually. =P I love reading as much as I do games. XD Those two formats have always been my preferred mediums for entertainment. Would include a little TV too, but with standard cable/satellite TV packages, it's difficult to surf for anything remotely decent to watch; never saw the appeal in this recent reality TV craze.
---
http://shantaefanforums.tk/ <-- Huge fan of the Shantae games? Then you should check the first fan forum that's all about the belly-dancing half-genie!