Why no single player adventure mode like SSB?

#81TheBestGman2007Posted 12/3/2012 12:15:09 AM
johnluke728 posted...
ImDyinSquirtle posted...
johnluke728 posted...
TheBestGman2007 posted...
Lol, I've probably been gaming for 15 years. Story is what's most important, because without all you're doing is pushing plastic buttons infront of a flashing screen. I just don't understand the point of playing a game, if you're not gaining anything from the experience.

^ Totally second that! *high five* Nothing hardcore about twiddling your thumbs on a plastic controller without a good reason to. I didn't even get into Quake III or Street Fighter games without first understanding what little story there was to either. Heck, I won't even touch a shooter if it has a bad single player campaign, no matter how active the online modes are.

If you want a story, why dont you just read a book? They are 10x more engaging than a video game story will ever be

You're forgetting that a video game can be pretty immersive with its music, controls, and its atmosphere; (Ever been completely in awe of a game's environment before?) the story goes hand-in-hand with the game play.

If either are out of whack, it breaks the whole experience for me. I don't want to wrestle the story out of a badly stringed together game, nor do I want to shoot a billion demons from the pits of Hell with no better reason other than they killed my pet hamster.

This is what I'm trying to say. Games can create awesome worlds, like most of the ones I listed earlier. There's a place for games like this, but a lot of the "greatest" games, have wonderful stories with their gameplay. For me personally, I just enjoy the story aspect more.
---
"If season is two, is better than season one, it'll go down as the greatest show of all time." - Myself.
Official nomad of Gamefaqs...
#82johnluke728Posted 12/3/2012 12:18:33 AM
geneocide posted...
johnluke728 posted...
Lol, I've probably been gaming for 15 years. Story is what's most important, because without all you're doing is pushing plastic buttons infront of a flashing screen. I just don't understand the point of playing a game, if you're not gaining anything from the experience.

^ Totally second that! *high five* Nothing hardcore about twiddling your thumbs on a plastic controller without a good reason to. I didn't even get into Quake III or Street Fighter games without first understanding what little story there was to either. Heck, I won't even touch a shooter if it has a bad single player campaign, no matter how active the online modes are.

Sarcasm?

More than likely.

I stand by my opinions, I prefer good stories to good gameplay.

That other guy's crazy, I've actually tried my best to avoid sarcasm on the Internet for the longest; it doesn't ever translate well, so it's better to avoid it all together. There is actually some story to Quake and Street Fighter, if half the players out there would read the manual for a change. Heck, most of the juicy backstory to A Link to the Past was in the manual, not the game itself. I swear, nobody reads manuals anymore, it's quite sad. :(

So no, I was fully agreeing with you, believe it or not. XD
---
http://shantaefanforums.tk/ <-- Huge fan of the Shantae games? Then you should check the first fan forum that's all about the belly-dancing half-genie!
#83TheBestGman2007Posted 12/3/2012 12:21:24 AM
johnluke728 posted...
geneocide posted...
johnluke728 posted...

Sarcasm?

More than likely.

I stand by my opinions, I prefer good stories to good gameplay.

That other guy's crazy, I've actually tried my best to avoid sarcasm on the Internet for the longest; it doesn't ever translate well, so it's better to avoid it all together. There is actually some story to Quake and Street Fighter, if half the players out there would read the manual for a change. Heck, most of the juicy backstory to A Link to the Past was in the manual, not the game itself. I swear, nobody reads manuals anymore, it's quite sad. :(

So no, I was fully agreeing with you, believe it or not. XD

Oh, than sorry for asumming you were.

and I agree, as a collector, I hate it when games give you a 4 page manual. Granted websites like... this one, render them useless, but still.
---
"If season is two, is better than season one, it'll go down as the greatest show of all time." - Myself.
#84johnluke728Posted 12/3/2012 12:23:17 AM
This is what I'm trying to say. Games can create awesome worlds, like most of the ones I listed earlier. There's a place for games like this, but a lot of the "greatest" games, have wonderful stories with their gameplay. For me personally, I just enjoy the story aspect more.

Well said right there. ^^ For the most part, I'm more interested in the story myself, but with the Zelda games, it's one of the few cases where I love both the story and game play all in one package. XD
---
http://shantaefanforums.tk/ <-- Huge fan of the Shantae games? Then you should check the first fan forum that's all about the belly-dancing half-genie!
#85kupo1705Posted 12/3/2012 12:24:40 AM
To the people saying Story>Gameplay.

Please be joking.
#86TheBestGman2007Posted 12/3/2012 12:29:01 AM
kupo1705 posted...

Please be joking.

Let me put it like this: Minecraft literally has endless hours of gameplay, but do you think anyone would put in a list of greatest games of all time? Bioshock, Majora's Mask, Minecraft?
---
#87blaze19_0XPosted 12/3/2012 12:29:58 AM
If all you care about is the story there is literally no reason to ever buy a game. Just watch other people play it/cutscenes on youtube.

That's how stupid this argument is.
---
http://allstararena.com
Competitve Hub for Playstation All-Stars Battle Royale
#88johnluke728Posted 12/3/2012 12:30:19 AM
Oh, than sorry for asumming you were.

and I agree, as a collector, I hate it when games give you a 4 page manual. Granted websites like... this one, render them useless, but still.

That's okay, it's not like we can attach the tones of our voice to our text, so sarcasm is difficult to pick out. XD

True that, it bothers me when there's almost no meat to a game's manual. D: It's great that walkthroughs and guides on here go much deeper than that, but sometimes they can't cover everything, like backstory in older games. I don't think any walkthroughs of the original Legend of Zelda on here explain the full intro from its manual, which helps make sense of a lot of the story. XD
---
#89kupo1705Posted 12/3/2012 12:32:48 AM
kupo1705 posted...

Please be joking.

Let me put it like this: Minecraft literally has endless hours of gameplay, but do you think anyone would put in a list of greatest games of all time? Bioshock, Majora's Mask, Minecraft?

There are different reasons why it doesn't belong in such a list.

Super Mario World is one of the greatest games of all time, but does it have a story worth mentioning?
#90TheBestGman2007Posted 12/3/2012 12:33:04 AM
[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]