Why is there less STUFF than Melee/Brawl?

#61rumbalumbaPosted 12/5/2012 2:51:11 PM
ThaCMaster posted...
rumbalumba posted...
^because we're talking about All-Stars AND Brawl/Melee, NOT Brawl and Melee.

No. I used Brawl and Melee as an example in regards to sales and review scores being an indicator of quality. Both are similar and have been out long enough for people to have a more informed and tried opinion on them so it was easier to compare.

This game is different and relatively new. In regards to the topic this game is on its first iteration so it has less stuff, just like the first game of a new series or a new generation.

it has less stuff because SuperBot wants to shove this down everyone's throats as a competitive game, therefore they didn't include fun, objective-based game modes. they already said they tried Capture the Flag, King of the Hill, etc. game modes but they felt it wouldn't work so they scrapped those and thus we got a bareboned boring typical fighting game deathmatch-type modes.

really, the lack of game modes is just disgusting. SuperBot wants this crap to be both a fighting game and a party brawler, but that kind of nonsense does not work. look at this game. no 1v1 online, which is a staple of fighting games. then no fun game modes, a staple of party brawlers. it's stuck between trying to be a fighting game and shying away from a party brawler even though it's got 4-player FFA, items, stage hazards, platforms, etc.
#62LuminescentRulePosted 12/5/2012 2:55:17 PM
Look at Rumba and Lumi's posts in comparison to EVERYONE else's...

SMH

Everyone else on this board are fanboys. Simple as that. Look at your opinion compared to almost every other gamer in the world.
---
http://www.yourgamercards.net/trophy/a/EmperorLawlight.png
#63ThaCMasterPosted 12/5/2012 2:56:29 PM
rumbalumba posted...
ThaCMaster posted...
rumbalumba posted...
^because we're talking about All-Stars AND Brawl/Melee, NOT Brawl and Melee.

No. I used Brawl and Melee as an example in regards to sales and review scores being an indicator of quality. Both are similar and have been out long enough for people to have a more informed and tried opinion on them so it was easier to compare.

This game is different and relatively new. In regards to the topic this game is on its first iteration so it has less stuff, just like the first game of a new series or a new generation.

it has less stuff because SuperBot wants to shove this down everyone's throats as a competitive game, therefore they didn't include fun, objective-based game modes. they already said they tried Capture the Flag, King of the Hill, etc. game modes but they felt it wouldn't work so they scrapped those and thus we got a bareboned boring typical fighting game deathmatch-type modes.

really, the lack of game modes is just disgusting. SuperBot wants this crap to be both a fighting game and a party brawler, but that kind of nonsense does not work. look at this game. no 1v1 online, which is a staple of fighting games. then no fun game modes, a staple of party brawlers. it's stuck between trying to be a fighting game and shying away from a party brawler even though it's got 4-player FFA, items, stage hazards, platforms, etc.

This is a good change of pace.

Well, a problem I have with most fighters is that they are lacking in content in terms of outside of vs mode. That mode is fun but I like variety myself. It's one thing I liked so much about Street Fighter Alpha 3. A great fighter, but it also had a ton of modes to keep you busy and mix things up. Same with Mortal Kombat, it has a ton of modes, as does Blazblue. Nowadays many companies just put in training, arcade, and versus and leave it at that. People seem to care more about trophies than fulfilling gameplay though.

Though many first version starts of games were pretty lackluster. I remember the original Smash didn't have a TON of content, though they improved on it. This game seems to have a lower budget though and is a starter title. Hopefully they expand it in the future.
---
PSN ID BigDaddyCMasta
www.thacmaster.proboards50.com
#64BikeaLossPosted 12/5/2012 3:07:41 PM
Habefiet posted...

Why is there so much less stuff?

Lazy Sony. But always ready for milking fans.
#65diebuster2Posted 12/5/2012 3:16:57 PM
LuminescentRule posted...

SMH

Everyone else on this board are fanboys. Simple as that. Look at your opinion compared to almost every other gamer in the world.

This. Unlike fanboys, even though I like the game myself, I can at least understand where the flaws are coming from.
---
One does not simply state a reasonable, negative opinion on GameFAQS without being called a troll.
#66Chzrm3Posted 12/5/2012 3:21:08 PM
It's not an unwarranted complaint. Every now and then I agree with what rumba's saying (although not to the same degree haha), and this is one of the times where he's actually spot-on.

My problem is that they had access to all those fun game options and, for whatever reason, decided not to make them choices in the menu. If you run through the combat trials, for example, here are some of the modes you'll play:

- Everyone has a permanently charged level-1 super meter. This basically means level 1s are flying out constantly and people are always dying. You can kind of think of it as PSASBR's version of "300% mode" in Smash.

- You can only use Square/Triangle/Circle buttons (depending on the mode, some are only Square, some are only Triangle, etc). This is like Basic Brawl, except that Basic Brawl never really worked because you need your special moves to recover. With PSASBR, recovery isn't nearly as important, so having matches where people can only use Square attacks would actually be really fun. It'd also be hilarious seeing characters like Sackboy, Radec and Cole only using their melee attacks.

- There are special conditions under which you generate significantly more AP. For example, only during combos, only with air attacks, only by using a different attack every time, or you have a combat multiplier that only goes away once you take damage, so the longer you go without getting hit, the more AP you generate.

These are just a few of the many, many different kinds of rulesets that you play under in the combat trials mode. And what I don't understand is why Superbot went to all the trouble to develop those different options, and then not let players use them in multiplayer.

It's not a huge deal to me, but it would've gone a long, long way into making the game really deep and fun for those times when you've got a ton of people over and you're just messing around. As is, I just set AP to high and kill limit to 15 and that's a blast, but I can't help but feel like the "everyone has level 1 supers" or "you keep gaining more AP as long as you don't get hit" things would've been great options.

And hey, maybe it doesn't pan out or nobody really plays it, like Coin mode in Smash... but who cares? At least you've got that option.

It's just a silly oversight. It's one thing to say "they should've made an amazing story mode where all the characters become best friends and save the world together!", because that takes a lot of time and resources. But it's another thing entirely when they've already got the modes in the game, fully functional, and ya just can't pick 'em.
---
If I haven't mentioned Trivio in my post, it's because she is so beautiful and precarious that I just wanted to show her how much she means to me.
#67KillDozer123Posted 12/5/2012 3:35:46 PM

SMH

The funny thing is, Lumi, you've never once given any legimate reason for hating the game. All you've been doing is nitpicking. And the truth is, all your "reasons" for hating the game could be substituted for ANY fighting game....even Brawl. Yes, I do love Brawl, and it holds a special place to me because it was my first Wii game, but without even trying I could think of faults to it to match the "game breaking" faults this game supposedly has.

I'd love to hear some proper reasons as to why you don't like it. X3
---
They see me Kahn'in'! They Hatin'!
#68Chzrm3Posted 12/5/2012 4:35:17 PM
KillDozer123 posted...

SMH

The funny thing is, Lumi, you've never once given any legimate reason for hating the game. All you've been doing is nitpicking. And the truth is, all your "reasons" for hating the game could be substituted for ANY fighting game....even Brawl. Yes, I do love Brawl, and it holds a special place to me because it was my first Wii game, but without even trying I could think of faults to it to match the "game breaking" faults this game supposedly has.

I'd love to hear some proper reasons as to why you don't like it. X3

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/668999-playstation-all-stars-battle-royale/64111714

'nuff said
---
If I haven't mentioned Trivio in my post, it's because she is so beautiful and precarious that I just wanted to show her how much she means to me.
#69StaticnovaPosted 12/5/2012 4:47:51 PM
Guys, this was answered on the first damn page; this is a new, untested IP that would have been given less of a budget. That is why content might be lacking compared to Brawl and Melee; there's no arguing that.

Everyone talking about review scores (lol) and things need to stop it.
---
Awaiting: Bioshock: Infinite, The Last of Us, GoW:A, Amnesia: AMFP, Watch Dogs, NS: UNS 3
Playing: Playstation All-Stars
#70Omega_Zero_XPPosted 12/5/2012 5:05:02 PM
Habefiet posted...
Crabhammar posted...
I know you have good intentions, but this thread can only lead to rage. You should close it now.

/topic (if the TC would actually listen to me)

I am aware of the risks, but choose to hope for intelligent discussion.

If we get 15-20 posts in and no one's said anything other than fanboyism or rage for one side or the other, and I'm online, I will most certainly close it.

Dude. Gamefaqs. Intelligent discussions are almost non existant.
---
America is the best country in the world but that's the equivalent of being the prettiest waitress at Denny's. - Lionheart Master