How good is this game and how similar is it to Smash Bros.?

#1ZessTeePosted 12/5/2012 4:36:09 PM
Very much debating on whether I should get it or not and since it's at the top of the message board over Black Ops it must be decent, right?
---
http://img509.imageshack.us/img509/4471/brandytaylorlu2.gif
#2LanoitakudePosted 12/5/2012 4:36:52 PM
(1) Very good.
(2) Not at all similar.
---
Xboxlive/PSN: Lanoitakude
"What can be asserted without evidence can also be dismissed without evidence."
#3holysquidPosted 12/5/2012 4:37:27 PM
It's an excellent game. Really the only similarities it has with Smash is that it's a 4 player brawler, the two series play very, very differently.
---
PSN: HexagonalZebra
www.livinglegacy.enjin.com
#4KillDozer123Posted 12/5/2012 4:38:56 PM
Lumi: Don't listen to these fanboys, it's a horrible game, don't buy it.

Because we all know he'll say it. ;-)
---
They see me Kahn'in'! They Hatin'!
#5iPutinWORKPosted 12/5/2012 4:56:45 PM
honest opinion?

It's a GREAT game, but probably not worth a $60.00+ tax purchase. It's more worth $30.00, used. But still a great game.

Is it Like Super Smash?
It's JUST AS GOOD AS SMASH BROTHERS. Not better or worse, but different in many many ways -- though there are equally as many similarities. They are similar to each other in that NEITHER of them is a ""one-on-one" fighting game (though the competitive fighting game community would love to experiment with both in such a fashion). They are both, at heart, "party fighting games." There is nothing wrong with this; just calling a spade a spade.

It would be a mistake to buy this and think you were getting Persona 4 Arena, or Tekken Tag Tournament 2. This is a 4-person, primarily Free for All-type fighting party game. Some 2vs2 action. 1 on 1 doesn't really see much action, online.

Roster Concerns
The roster is EH. No other word to describe it. Not fantastic, not terrible, just ******* "EH." There are a few awesome picks (Sackboy, Drake, etc.), but there are some WTF choices as in every mash-up title (Think UMvC3 or SFxTekken). You will be a little disappointed that your favorite characters aren't in it (e.g., Crash, Spyro, Gex, Croc, [insert your favorite]), but you'll invariably get over when you play the game.

Online isn't perfect, but WORKS
The online WORKS, but still has some glitches (Superbot is working hard on this). If and when you play it online, you will encounter spammers (Sackboy), cheezers ("Drake run and gun loop), and quitters. But that's the nature of the online party/fighting game beast.

Balance
From a balance standpoint, I think things are OK. Some characters are stronger than others (Sackboy was far and away, THE best -- Superbot had to nerf the little bugger because he was too much of "G"), but it's nothing to the level of imbalance you'd find in Marvel vs. Capcom 2. The good news is that the development team is actively working on the balance issues -- the proof of such claim is in the recent nerf.

Graphics Presentation
The graphics are good, not incredible, but the gameplay is FUN. The soundtrack is great, in my opinion. The presentation leaves quite a bit to be desired -- aw hell, who am I kidding? The presentation kind of sucks. The menus are easily outdone by amateurs (fact), but the in-game HUD is good. The end-credits pretty much suck.

LOLStory Mode
Oh, and if you play this game for the single-player story, LOL at you.

Overall
But overall, very very good game. I'd give it a 7.5 - 8/10.

THAT's Honest.

***Damn, I pretty much just wrote a review. FYI, anytime somebody makes a topic like this, from now on, I'm just gonna copy/paste this post.***
---
PSN Salesrobmy7 | I play: MvC2 and PSASBR || Add me!
Favorites SMB3 | FFT | FFX | MvC2 | Pokemon
#6KillDozer123Posted 12/5/2012 4:58:53 PM
iPutinWORK posted...
honest opinion?

It's a GREAT game, but probably not worth a $60.00+ tax purchase. It's more worth $30.00, used. But still a great game.

Is it Like Super Smash?
It's JUST AS GOOD AS SMASH BROTHERS. Not better or worse, but different in many many ways -- though there are equally as many similarities. They are similar to each other in that NEITHER of them is a ""one-on-one" fighting game (though the competitive fighting game community would love to experiment with both in such a fashion). They are both, at heart, "party fighting games." There is nothing wrong with this; just calling a spade a spade.

It would be a mistake to buy this and think you were getting Persona 4 Arena, or Tekken Tag Tournament 2. This is a 4-person, primarily Free for All-type fighting party game. Some 2vs2 action. 1 on 1 doesn't really see much action, online.

Roster Concerns
The roster is EH. No other word to describe it. Not fantastic, not terrible, just ******* "EH." There are a few awesome picks (Sackboy, Drake, etc.), but there are some WTF choices as in every mash-up title (Think UMvC3 or SFxTekken). You will be a little disappointed that your favorite characters aren't in it (e.g., Crash, Spyro, Gex, Croc, [insert your favorite]), but you'll invariably get over when you play the game.

Online isn't perfect, but WORKS
The online WORKS, but still has some glitches (Superbot is working hard on this). If and when you play it online, you will encounter spammers (Sackboy), cheezers ("Drake run and gun loop), and quitters. But that's the nature of the online party/fighting game beast.

Balance
From a balance standpoint, I think things are OK. Some characters are stronger than others (Sackboy was far and away, THE best -- Superbot had to nerf the little bugger because he was too much of "G"), but it's nothing to the level of imbalance you'd find in Marvel vs. Capcom 2. The good news is that the development team is actively working on the balance issues -- the proof of such claim is in the recent nerf.

Graphics Presentation
The graphics are good, not incredible, but the gameplay is FUN. The soundtrack is great, in my opinion. The presentation leaves quite a bit to be desired -- aw hell, who am I kidding? The presentation kind of sucks. The menus are easily outdone by amateurs (fact), but the in-game HUD is good. The end-credits pretty much suck.

LOLStory Mode
Oh, and if you play this game for the single-player story, LOL at you.

Overall
But overall, very very good game. I'd give it a 7.5 - 8/10.

THAT's Honest.

***Damn, I pretty much just wrote a review. FYI, anytime somebody makes a topic like this, from now on, I'm just gonna copy/paste this post.***

Sadly, Lumi and Rumba will probably just call you a fanboy. Even though you're being completely honest. ^^;
---
They see me Kahn'in'! They Hatin'!