Spike mains come forth. We need to have a serious 1v1 discussion.

#1PirateKing290Posted 12/6/2012 11:46:02 PM
Hi guys. Pirateking/Weeeler/LPWeewer here. I know there's plenty of Spike lovers among gamefaqs so I thought we could have a solid character discussion. Spike is surely underated. His moveset, althought lacking in intricate combos, leaves very little to be desired for. He has some insane projectiles and very useful traps, as well as very solid, short range combos, paralyzing, stunning, crumpling, and almost any status ailment you could imagine. He can glide AND teleport giving him some awesome maneuverability.

But those supers. GAWD DAMN.

Those supers are pretty awful, I gotta say. Lv 1 has some alright range but the start up makes it pretty avoidable. Level 2 moves at the speed of molasses and 3 is too much work for too little pay off.

Basically in a 1v1 as Spike we gotta always aim for level 2 and try to combo into it no less. But while we do this characters that can combo into level 1 will whittle us away with attacks and eventually get the kill on you. So what do you guys do? Some match ups feel tough for Spike while others seem difficult. Do we take the offensive route or the defensive zoning game? A mixture of both?

We play a lower tier character so we have to abuse everything given to us, this is a must.

General tips-
- Stay near your bananas.
-U1 is awesome.
-Use your Dashing monkey both on ground and in the air often, it's your fastest most invincible projectile. Take advantage of Air Dashing Monkey's U-shaped dash.
-Stay near your grounded radar banana. If the opponent walks into it or you pressure him into it they trip and fall, a prime time to bust out the level 2.
-Mix up your level 1 kill approaches.
-Teleport just to eff with the opponent.
-PICK MAPS THAT DONT HAVE WALLS. Dojo and San Fran are perfect for this. I cant think of any others that dont have walls. Why? Because his U11 is an INFINITE on wall-less corners. Easiest AP burst in the game.
- Try to scare enemies with those charged Magic Punches.
-Against certain characters spam the hell of air dashing monkey and Banarang to keep your distance.
- Air B Launcher is great in all situations. Helps him deal with air-game reliant characters.
-Speaking of which, Slingback shooter also helps to deal with aerial based opponents.
-Punish opponents with your stun clubs. Easy 40+AP.
-Air S1 is a great dive kick. Use it to get in, but becareful of characters with supers that can catch you while coming in. Aerial approach is very important in this game and be thankful Spike has a good one!
-Try to pressure your opponents to block with Pipotron G air and ground version and air banana monkey. That way you
---
PSN: Weeeler
http://www.youtube.com/user/LPWeewer
#2PirateKing290(Topic Creator)Posted 12/6/2012 11:57:18 PM(edited)
MATCHUP DISCUSSIONS
bolded match ups are matchups I believe to be on Spike's favor. italicized match ups I need some help with.I also list what I believe should be your approach as far as rushing and zoning. ALWAYS USE BANANAS THOUGH.

Big Daddy- Feels like an easy one. His level 1 is also pretty bad, so we're on even ground. We can zone him out for days as well, I'm positive dashing monkey goes through BD's invincible dash as well. Some of his moves leave him open and he's a big target for the Short Hop Air B Launcher into super combo. You may not even need lv 2 for this one. Zone most of the time.

Sir Dan- Stronger zoning game and close range game. Bananarang even stops his shielded rush. Mix up the zoning and rushing.

Sly- He can't block. Beat the crap out of him. We can't zone him too much because of the counter, so mix it up. The best part is that we can properly combo Dashing monkey into Level 1 against him.

Nariko- I've seen good Narikos, but most have to rely on level 3, which puts her at an even bigger disadvantage. Punish her long combo strings. Zoning/Rushing.

Toro- Good Toro's can probably out zone you out so you gotta go with the rushing route. Be careful because his upclose game can be deadly to. Use alot of Dashing monkeys and punish whiffs with S1 to get some guard breaks going.

Good Cole- Very very poor match up for our boy imo. Easy combos into level 1 and superior zoning. I really know know to approach this one, any tips?! I really dont know how to handle this guy... Worst of all, his level 1 can catch your dive kicks so it's harder to come in.

Evil Cole- Same as the above with more annoying grenades and verticle projectiles.

Dante- He's kind like we are. Pretty unreliable supers, though both of his are better than ours. It seems like he has less combos into supers though. Regardless it feels like you can totally zone him out. Stay near your bananas and when he tries to destroy them with his axe swing throw a bananarang/dashing monkey/blauncher to punish. Upclose he's easy to punish.

Sackboy- Even matchup imo. Dashing monkey destroys all his projectiles and traps. Careful with dashing in because you'll get eletrecuted. His air d1 clear out electric traps as well. In this match up you wanna use your bananas to force Sackboy to move around, and GRAB THE CRAP OUT OF HIM.

Radec- Your zoning tools have angles that can catch a unsuspecting Radec player, but play more of an aggressive role in this one imo.

Kratos- awful matchup imo. His moves are too safe on block and it'll be hard to punish. Play a keep away game. His supers are meh, make sure he doesnt get level 3 because his comes rather fast.

Drake- Bad match up. Dash Monkey and bananarang can beat the barrel, but the barrel beats your Banana traps and comes out really fast. Up close he's pretty scary too with easy 60-135 combos and combos into level 2. Worst of all, his level 1 can catch you in the air which is where you wanna play as a Spike player.
---
#3KindertotenwaldPosted 12/6/2012 11:46:56 PM
PirateKing290 posted...
Hi guys. Pirateking/Weeeler/LPWeewer here. I know there's plenty of Spike lovers among gamefaqs so I thought we could have a solid character discussion. Spike is surely underated. His moveset, althought lacking in intricate combos, leaves very little to be desired for. He has some insane projectiles and very useful traps, as well as very solid, short range combos, paralyzing, stunning, crumpling, and almost any status ailment you could imagine. He can glide AND teleport giving him some awesome maneuverability.

Those supers are pretty awful, I gotta say. Lv 1 has some alright range but the start up makes it pretty avoidable. Level 2 moves at the speed of molasses and 3 is too much work for too little pay off.

Basically in a 1v1 as Spike we gotta always aim for level 2 and try to combo into it no less. But while we do this characters that can combo into level 1 will whittle us away with attacks and eventually get the kill on you. So what do you guys do? Some match ups feel tough for Spike while others seem difficult. Do we take the offensive route or the defensive zoning game? A mixture of both?

We play a lower tier character so we have to abuse everything given to us, this is a must.

General tips-
-U1 is awesome.
-Use your Dashing monkey both on ground and in the air often, it's your fastest most invincible projectile. Take advantage of Air Dashing Monkey's U-shaped dash.
-Stay near your grounded radar banana. If the opponent walks into it or you pressure him into it they trip and fall, a prime time to bust out the level 2.
-PICK MAPS THAT DONT HAVE WALLS. Dojo and San Fran are perfect for this. I cant think of any others that dont have walls. Why? Because his U11 is an INFINITE on wall-less corners. Easiest AP burst in the game.
-Against certain characters spam the hell of air dashing monkey and Banarang to keep your distance.
- Air B Launcher is great in all situations. Helps him deal with air-game reliant characters.
-Speaking of which, Slingback shooter also helps to deal with aerial based opponents.
-Air S1 is a great dive kick. Use it to get in, but becareful of characters with supers that can catch you while coming in. Aerial approach is very important in this game and be thankful Spike has a good one!
-Try to pressure your opponents to block with Pipotron G air and ground version and air banana monkey. That way you

His supers are not awful he can combo into both of them.
---
PSASBR: Big Daddy, Raiden
PSN: Omnisignificance
#4PirateKing290(Topic Creator)Posted 12/6/2012 11:59:02 PM(edited)
Parappa- Zone this sucker out. Make dont worry too much about the Ap Boom Box but keep an eye out for it. Dont let him get level 2, it's very hard to avoid. Be careful in the air because of his level 1.

Ratchet- Don't think this is a bad match up per se, but I dont really know the best way to approach him. His grab is scary but very punishable. Try to bait it out I guess? But can Spike zone out Ratchet or do we have to go with rushing? His air razor blade attack destroys out bananas.

Raiden- He's a weird match up. He has easy combos into level 1, but I think we can avoid level 2 better than most if we avoid the initial shockwave. He's punishable and mobile, so should we play a total zoning game for the most part? A whiffed lv1 by him leads you to a perfect short hop B launcher/Magic punch.

Fat Princess- Scary match up for every character in the game. Her air game is impressive. Dont try to go in, play a zoning game. Use the sling back shooter on her often. Watch out for those damn sword soldiers. If you do get close shes kinda easy to punish but the problem is approaching her.

Heihachi-Mix up your approach. You can easily beat him zoning and up close. Just be wary of level 1 combo. Kuma is easy to dodge from my experience.

Jak- I struggle with him tbh. He moves really fast with some moves and the Concussion Blast or whatever is called is a great move. Make sure your air attacks are safe so he doesnt catch you with a lv. 1.Up his machine gun can out zone you but you have a better aerial projectile game by a slight margin. I believe there's this sweet spot close enough to him and just above the reach of his gun where you can drop bananas, rangs, and air d. monkeys on him. When he's in the air charging his weapon use the sling back shooter with good timing.

Sweet Tooth- Scary character but your zoning game destroys him. Be extra cheap here you dont want to give him the opportunity to mess you up with his quick and low AP lv 1.Dashing monkey lols at his mines.

NOW...DISCUSS!
---
#5pipo_snake_jc3Posted 12/7/2012 12:14:56 AM
Just gonna leave this here for fellow Spike mains...

http://youtu.be/mlCAydzk044
---
PSN: Naruga418
#6PyroSparkPosted 12/7/2012 12:21:15 AM
Um....you can punish rolls with level 1?...>.>

That's all I got.
---
rexator-"Make it a money match so that the winner gets to crap in the other's mouth." PSN: PyroSpark7
#7KindertotenwaldPosted 12/7/2012 12:22:39 AM
PirateKing290 posted...
Parappa- Zone this sucker out. Make dont worry too much about the Ap Boom Box but keep an eye out for it. Dont let him get level 2, it's very hard to avoid. Be careful in the air because of his level 1.

Ratchet- Don't think this is a bad match up per se, but I dont really know the best way to approach him. His grab is scary but very punishable. Try to bait it out I guess? But can Spike zone out Ratchet or do we have to go with rushing? His air razor blade attack destroys out bananas.

Raiden- He's a weird match up. He has easy combos into level 1, but I think we can avoid level 2 better than most if we avoid the initial shockwave. He's punishable and mobile, so should we play a total zoning game for the most part? A whiffed lv1 by him leads you to a perfect short hop B launcher/Magic punch.

Fat Princess- Scary match up for every character in the game. Her air game is impressive. Dont try to go in, play a zoning game. Use the sling back shooter on her often. Watch out for those damn sword soldiers. If you do get close shes kinda easy to punish but the problem is approaching her.

Heihachi-Mix up your approach. You can easily beat him zoning and up close. Just be wary of level 1 combo. Kuma is easy to dodge from my experience.

Jak- I struggle with him tbh. He moves really fast with some moves and the Concussion Blast or whatever is called is a great move. Make sure your air attacks are safe so he doesnt catch you with a lv. 1.Up his machine gun can out zone you but you have a better aerial projectile game by a slight margin. I believe there's this sweet spot close enough to him and just above the reach of his gun where you can drop bananas, rangs, and air d. monkeys on him. When he's in the air charging his weapon use the sling back shooter with good timing.

Sweet Tooth- Scary character but your zoning game destroys him. Be extra cheap here you dont want to give him the opportunity to mess you up with his quick and low AP lv 1.Dashing monkey lols at his mines.

NOW...DISCUSS!

I wouldn't relie on a whiffed SP1 from Raiden as a good raiden will combo into it.
---
PSASBR: Big Daddy, Raiden
PSN: Omnisignificance
#8PirateKing290(Topic Creator)Posted 12/7/2012 12:23:03 AM
Kindertotenwald posted...
PirateKing290 posted...

General tips-
-U1 is awesome.

His supers are not awful he can combo into both of them.

Yeah but his combos take way more effort and prediction in 1v1 than most supers. Takes effort to win with Spike, men.
---
#9PirateKing290(Topic Creator)Posted 12/7/2012 12:24:13 AM
Kindertotenwald posted...
PirateKing290 posted...

NOW...DISCUSS!

I wouldn't relie on a whiffed SP1 from Raiden as a good raiden will combo into it.

What's your Raiden strategy then? He seems very tough to deal with with his speed and range.
---
#10BerserkFury8533Posted 12/7/2012 12:24:36 AM
Finally some love for Spike on this board, and omg i didn't know you could charge is down circle (I learn something new every day on the board lol)
---
Thought you could take my name, my game, my story, my glory, my fame!
--(Psn: LunaticHighZZZZZ)---