i think we can all agree nariko is the weakest 1v1 character in the game

#11SicRyPosted 12/8/2012 3:12:15 AM
I think she is definitely a character that takes work to win with. I main her consistently, and I generally do very well with her online, but it is always a struggle. It's never just, "oh, this is so easy, I'm playing braindead right now." Also, once people know to look for the discus, that setup will become even harder to land in a competitive match.

Tonight, I decided to play Raiden for a few matches in 2v2 with limited knowledge, based on what I've seen others do. He is definitely a character that has such high ease of use, as everyone here already knows, but it was amazing to me how much easier it was to play with him when I've clocked barely five hours of play with him, but struggle when I've clocked almost 20 with Nariko. When I say struggle, I don't mean just when losing, I mean getting the victory, but having to do so much work to get it.

I don't mind all the time, cause it means you wont see a bunch of people flocking to her online, but it's irritating sometimes simply because you look around at the rest of the cast and wish that it could be easier for her the way it is for others.
#12PegetaPosted 12/8/2012 3:23:24 AM
Any combo that ends with a "From Father" into a "Debris Sweep" from a stunned state(opponent being juggled) allows you to use super 1.

The opponent is pushed back and the bomb appears right on top of them. I've done this on players and AI and I have yet to see anyone or anything(5 star AI) dodge this setup.

Of course the timing from "Debris Sweep" and Super 1 has to be spot on or they can recover out of it, but the same can be said for any setup.
#13Retroxgamer0(Topic Creator)Posted 12/8/2012 3:40:28 AM(edited)
i went into training mode and set the target to repeatedly jump and used debris sweep (forward triangle) and yes, if you time it percisely right, and use a level 1 right after without being interupted by another player, imediately after the debris sweep (meaning if you didnt get that percise timing you just wasted a super) it does push them back and kill them. that is pretty situational, but good find. i dont know how often you could hit that in an actual live match though, have you had any success with it? its good but far from reliable.
#14PegetaPosted 12/8/2012 3:46:37 AM
Retroxgamer0 posted...
i went into training mode and set the target to repeatedly jump and used debris sweep (forward triangle) and yes, if you time it percisely right, and use a level 1 right after without being interupted by another player, it does push them back and kill them. that is pretty situational, but good find. i dont know how often you could hit that in an actual live match though, have you had any success with it?

Depends I found alot of combos that lead into those 2 moves so I'd say its fairly easy. But keep in mind placement on some stages causes a "deadzone" and can place the bomb in a really weird location and ruin the combo, so in that manner I would call it situational based on stage elevation.

Whenever I didn't lag or got slapped in the back from a FFA I managed to land it just find against a friend who had a 999 Jak and Sly. So I don't think character size is a issue just the elevation on some stages.

I was only able to make it connect from those 2 moves back to back, I'll try a different move tomorrow that has a "stun" and see if the results work in our favor.

When you went into training mode did you actually do the combo I mentioned or did you really just have the AI jump?
#15ericbogardPosted 12/8/2012 4:15:05 AM
"you don't really need to say 1v1, nariko is the worst in any sort of match"

She is great in FFA because her level 1 can get you multi kills quite easily.

She is great in 2v2 since her long combos and her range can help your partner setup some easy kills.

Been playing with her since day 1, not the best, but definitely not the worst.

----------------

"Any combo that ends with a "From Father" into a "Debris Sweep" from a stunned state(opponent being juggled) allows you to use super 1.

The opponent is pushed back and the bomb appears right on top of them. I've done this on players and AI and I have yet to see anyone or anything(5 star AI) dodge this setup."

Sorry but found that setup a long time ago, you can definitely escape it, the hardest way for them to escape is pulling this out near a wall so that they have less space to escape, but even there, you can dodge the super.

Not guaranteed at all. But you can score a lot of kills on people that are unaware of this setup ... at least a few kills before they actually understand it's escapable.
---
Nothing !
#16PegetaPosted 12/8/2012 4:28:17 AM
ericbogard posted...
"you don't really need to say 1v1, nariko is the worst in any sort of match"

She is great in FFA because her level 1 can get you multi kills quite easily.

She is great in 2v2 since her long combos and her range can help your partner setup some easy kills.

Been playing with her since day 1, not the best, but definitely not the worst.

----------------

"Any combo that ends with a "From Father" into a "Debris Sweep" from a stunned state(opponent being juggled) allows you to use super 1.

The opponent is pushed back and the bomb appears right on top of them. I've done this on players and AI and I have yet to see anyone or anything(5 star AI) dodge this setup."

Sorry but found that setup a long time ago, you can definitely escape it, the hardest way for them to escape is pulling this out near a wall so that they have less space to escape, but even there, you can dodge the super.

Not guaranteed at all. But you can score a lot of kills on people that are unaware of this setup ... at least a few kills before they actually understand it's escapable.

if you took the time to read before commenting you'd notice we covered this and deadzones on stages that further mess up the setup.
#17Retroxgamer0(Topic Creator)Posted 12/8/2012 4:39:40 AM(edited)
ericbogard posted...

She is great in FFA
She is great in 2v2
definitely not the worst.
you can dodge the super.
Not guaranteed at all. But you can score a lot of kills on people that are unaware of this setup ...
before they actually understand it's escapable.

well which is it? you say shes great, and not the worst, then you confirm what ive been saying, that her super is easily dodged and not guaranteed or good, and then you go on to talk about a cookie cutter strategy that only works on a player who isnt aware of it, but then adapts and it becomes useless. the fact is all of the other characters have better supers that can be comboed into relatively easy without very strict timing, and they are definately much more guaranteed. for instance nathan drake's lvl1 super? yeah believe me i hit with it way more often than i dont.

they need to buff narikos supers if im going to take her seriously.
#18ericbogardPosted 12/8/2012 5:09:23 AM
Comboing into level 1 is great, but you have to take into accounts the possibility to multikill with a level 1 too.

Some characters can combo into level 1, but need to go close range, actually finish the combo before someone interrupts, and rewards for 1 kill only.

Nariko can score 2 kills while being safe at range.

I agree she is low tier on 1v1, but on 2v2 or FFA, you don't "need" to combo into level 1 to score a kill.

Having team setups makes it easier to land it, definitely.

A good example is Big D's drill multi hits, setting up for 1-2 easy kills.

But yeah 1v1 is a pain with her unless you aim for level 3.
---
Nothing !
#19Retroxgamer0(Topic Creator)Posted 12/8/2012 5:11:03 AM
her 2v2 is only as good as your partner
#20ericbogardPosted 12/8/2012 6:07:44 AM(edited)
You have to take into account the fact that her level 1 can score more than 1 kill, while a good bunch of other level 1s just score 1 max.

Anyway, her key poses cancels into rolls, jumps, counter etc are quite good to make the opponent wonder if they should wait or attack.

She is not top tier, that's for sure, but I don't find myself struggling for victory.

Your whole point revolves around 1v1, but that game hardly plays 1v1.

Ad since I'm playing 2v2 almost exclusively, I can only comment on this (FFA not as fun imo).

Let's just say we respectfully disagree on team-based tier, but we agree on 1v1 being her weak point.

Have a nice day (won't spend all day on gfaqs arguing on theory fighting ^^)
---
Nothing !