Fundamental problem. The game has too many specials and not enough normals.

#1blaze19_0XPosted 12/30/2012 6:54:58 PM
I think one of the biggest problems with the game right now is characters have more specials than normals. Heck most characters don't even have jabs.

This results in uber air campfests every game and it will only increase as people realize that's unfortuantely the best way to play the game.

Basically this game is like if Ryu in SF had 20 different fireballs/DPs/other specials etc. and like roundhouse as his only normal. Everything else was a special move.

This doesn't give you a whole lot oppertunity to initiate footsies (a big part of fighting games) or be satisfied perfectly spacing said normals. It just boils down to air camping/running away as much as possible while spamming your safest moves (which are almost always projectiles or special attacks).

As a result I think this is one major reason people are getting bored of this game fast. People complain about Online and what not, but I think deep down this is what's really annoying a lot of people. Matches just feel too repetitive and not dynamic enough.
---
http://allstararena.com
Competitve Hub for Playstation All-Stars Battle Royale
#2KtimleckPosted 12/30/2012 6:55:56 PM
That's because this isn't a fighting game.

It's a party brawler.
---
PSN ID: Dorito_2
#3blaze19_0X(Topic Creator)Posted 12/30/2012 6:56:55 PM
Ktimleck posted...

It's a party brawler.

Smash says hi. It doesn't have this problem at all. That's why 1 vs 1 is a completely viable mode in it.
---
#4IcyFlamez96Posted 12/30/2012 6:57:00 PM
You did this already :|
---
[Not changing sig until a new Ratchet and Clank game that I can be hyped for is announced.]
PSASBR Main: Ratchet, PSN: xQziCyFlaMeZxQz, msg to _krat0s_: K
#5blaze19_0X(Topic Creator)Posted 12/30/2012 7:07:04 PM
IcyFlamez96 posted...

Well it's a pretty big issue I feel and isn't addressed enough.

I'm fairly certain even you said that you hit a roadblock with Ratchet. This is one reason. The current system limits creativity and dynamic gameplay overall.
---
#6Nomorice4UPosted 12/30/2012 7:08:37 PM
blaze19_0X posted...
I think one of the biggest problems with the game right now is characters have more specials than normals. Heck most characters don't even have jabs.

This results in uber air campfests every game and it will only increase as people realize that's unfortuantely the best way to play the game.

Basically this game is like if Ryu in SF had 20 different fireballs/DPs/other specials etc. and like roundhouse as his only normal. Everything else was a special move.

This doesn't give you a whole lot oppertunity to initiate footsies (a big part of fighting games) or be satisfied perfectly spacing said normals. It just boils down to air camping/running away as much as possible while spamming your safest moves (which are almost always projectiles or special attacks).

As a result I think this is one major reason people are getting bored of this game fast. People complain about Online and what not, but I think deep down this is what's really annoying a lot of people. Matches just feel too repetitive and not dynamic enough.

If by roundhouse you mean Tatsu, I'm under the impression that tatsu is actually a special.

I can see your point though, this game didn't really deliver competitively - It's sad too because this was something they seemed hell bent on giving us. I think competitively speaking, smash is better.
#7IcyFlamez96Posted 12/30/2012 7:09:07 PM
blaze19_0X posted...
IcyFlamez96 posted...

I'm fairly certain even you said that you hit a roadblock with Ratchet. This is one reason. The current system limits creativity and dynamic gameplay overall.

I probably did say something like that considering its true...
---
[Not changing sig until a new Ratchet and Clank game that I can be hyped for is announced.]
PSASBR Main: Ratchet, PSN: xQziCyFlaMeZxQz, msg to _krat0s_: K
#8NarukuboyPosted 12/30/2012 7:11:31 PM
blaze19_0X posted...
Ktimleck posted...

It's a party brawler.

Smash says hi. It doesn't have this problem at all. That's why 1 vs 1 is a completely viable mode in it.

And the the whole not having to use supers to kill.
---
http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m9g3dtmMrw1rduef9o1_500.png
#9CrabhammarPosted 12/30/2012 7:13:31 PM
How is this less dynamic than watching the snoozefest that is footsies
---
Sent from my iPhone via PowerFAQs 1.9... if you use PowerFAQs, ask me how to change your quoting style STAT!
PSN: Bluechacho
#10BluBlue4Posted 12/30/2012 7:14:06 PM
blaze19_0X posted...
IcyFlamez96 posted...

I like these topic. Food for thought and all.
---
If you're enjoying All-Stars don't forget to give it a fair and thoughtful review. We've got to counteract the kneejerk reactions and hissyfits.
PSN:BlueArkham