All-Stars? there needs to be more.

#1Ballistic_kissPosted 1/4/2013 2:39:28 PM
Ok obviously theres a ton of reasons why the characters who are playable (initially) in All-stars are there. Everything from promoting the new release of an upcoming game to celebrating past successes to i guess grabbing a deal from the companies that own them.

Now this generation is all about DLC, which is why there arent any fresh characters to unlock in the game itself, so there will be more characters added down the road (and maybe if we're lucky a new edition in a year or two that has them all).

But there are obvious choices and missed opportunities that werent exploited, some of them are because of the companies that own some characters now (Crash Bandicoot & Spyro, its been said a million times by people looking at the character select screen). But theres way more, some nostalgic and some very recent characters that maybe not enough people are talking about.

(Granted, overall thanks to poll voting’s and general opinions listed through out the gamefaqs message boards, a lot of people who might read this have a bias towards RPG games, so all they want is Cloud or Dart).

So knowing this, the characters i present arent anything to do with whether or not you like them enough to be in there, but their importance to *Playstation All-stars* and what the games they've been in over the years have done for PS. i.e. sales figures/people who bought and played the games. After-all Fat Princess? i mean its a fun game and all, but was anyone actually gleefully happy and over joyed out of their minds to hear shes in the game?

Certain characters over Playstation's history have been either their face, biggest sellers or most notorious image at one point or another, (people depending on how old/young you are you wont understand or agree obviously), and that past needs to be recognized just a little bit more.

Ok some people have listed their favorites, a lot of times over just because they like them, and hey thats good we like what we like but more logic has to be thrown out there with the choices or how/why to put them in...

Here are the characters, from their series, that should be in this game (im going to start off with the lesser mentioned ones someone has to:
---
*it wasnt me it was the one armed man lol*
#2Ballistic_kiss(Topic Creator)Posted 1/4/2013 2:40:01 PM
*Raziel from Soul Reaver 1 & 2 (i dont know if crystal dynamics or eidos own the rights to him but hes a combat/adventure character how can he not be perfect for this?)
*Aya Brea from Parasite Eve 1, 2 & the 3rd birthday (c'mon now we gotta have more female characters that dont rely on cake or blades, not that its a bad thing but variety helps).
*Regina from Dino Crisis 1 & 2 (if Aya Brea could be in, why not Regina? seriously i think a level 3 super with her being chased by huge T-Rex sprinting across the screen is an idea that sells itself).
*Rikimaru from the Tenchu Series (Again it speaks for itself, if you know Tenchu then you know it got started on the Playstation. while some adaptations have gone to other consoles later on, Tenchu has had more success on Playstation consoles than anywhere else.)
*Maximo from the self-titled Maximo games (Maximo got 2 good games that started towards the earlier years of the PS2 cant see why he cant be in the All-Stars).
*Nathan Hale from the Resistance games. (do i need to really need to explain this? put him in and we have a proper match for Radec).
*Rau from Mark of Kri & Rise of Kasai (another warrior and of a different style from the rest. Both games were important from the earlier days of the PS2, more mature than most.)
*Gabe Logan from the Syphon Filter games (really this stealth-action character is an integral part of Playstation. a super with an incapacitating Taser attack is a given.)
*Samanosuke or Jubei Yagyuu from the Onimusha games (they were huge on the PS2 great games with good combat, does there have to be another reason? its gotta be done).
*Rock or Taki from the Soul Series (originally both were in Soul Blade which came before Soul Calibur. But with Soul Blade, Soul Calibur 3 & Broken Destiny more more of the series have been Playstation Exclusives than on any other console, besides Heihachi needs an opponent on par with him).
*Leon/Claire from their respective Resident Evil games (they were both in the original's that started it all and havent been seen in anything out from their franchise, its ripe for the picking).
*Hot Shots Golf character (i mean why not? its a long running series on all Playstation consoles and if you stop to think about it; putters, sand-traps and using golf carts and mega-drive shots for supers, its not that hard to put into practice).
*Jet Moto Racer (Jet Moto was awesome back in the day, creative thinking goes a long way).
*Richard Miller from Time Crisis (granted the series got its start in the Arcades but on the consoles, its been a Playstation staple if you had a Guncon. with tons of guns and hazard explosions and such for moves and supers, this would be a funny addition).
*Warhawk soldier (its been said, but not enough, with the original on the Playstation & the 2007 online remake, with all the weapons, vehicles, and the Warhawk itself, i dont see how this cant be in the game).

That right there is 10 additional characters. From a marketing standpoint the DLC is easy, either for individual characters, or in a 5 character pack or all 15.
---
#3Ballistic_kiss(Topic Creator)Posted 1/4/2013 2:40:37 PM
Now obviously there are other characters that have been mentioned more times than people can keep track of, but the thing of it is, this might just become a series of games depending on the success of this game. sequels will always have more characters, more DLC (unfortunately) and bigger selection.

If/when a sequel comes along, we might (or at least should) see the likes of characters like Dart from the Legend of Dragoon, any one of the Final Fantasy leading characters, the Prince from Katamari, Ico from ICO, Wander, the main character from Shadow of the Colossus, a soldier from StarHawk. Get either Mobius 1 or Captain Bartlett from Ace Combat 4 or 5. Recognizable driver models from the Motorstorm games. Lara Croft (besides being on the PC, console wise, her biggest home was on the PS consoles). With any luck deals can be struck bringing in Crash Bandicoot, Rayman, and Spyro. One can only hope that more deals can come from having the main characters from the Zone of the Enders games brought in too. And of course who could forget Solid Snake/ Big Boss.

Now im posting these thoughts/propositions here knowing theres always going to be biases towards either genre or type of game character. some people love RPG's and cant get enough of them, maybe some of you werent old enough to even know about some of the mentioned games when they were released, instead you probably played CROC, Klonoa, Crash, Rayman or Spyro & thats what the original Playstation meant to you. But if you were at least 14 or older back in 1995 and invested yourself in the Playstation, then chances are you played or rented some of the games i mentioned & you remember them. Its hard rationalizing whats better or what should be added into a game that celebrates the lineage of memorable console experiences when you take it from your own perspective.

I throw out examples that you wouldn’t think of like people from Jet Moto, Motorstorm, Ace Combat, Hot Shots Golf, or Warhawk, but why not? Granted that officially its been said that the move set of either character will be completely true to their own franchises, but is that what should limit the character roster? Super Smash Bros. on the N64 took characters like Captain Falcon and Fox out of their cockpits and gave them brawling moves to throw down with. So, why cant the same thing be done here? Creativity goes a long way to impress and after Super Smash Bros. anyone who’s ever played or heard of the game, knows what a Falcon Punch is. I mean in Playstation All-Stars Battle Royale you can rumble with a character who comes from a game where she eats cake and is carried around by other characters, knowing that the sky is the limit!

Playstation All-Stars has been compared to Super Smash Bros. and the principle game design is of the same species (if it wasnt super smash then it would be another title to compare it to). And of course the first game didnt have a huge roster and this is true BUT this is the PS3 we're talking about here. the Blu-ray discs hold way more information than any other gaming disc right now. especially if Marvel vs Capcom 2 could fit in a 50+ character roster on last generation consoles ... honestly, another 20 characters worth of DLC shouldnt be too far-fetched (mind you, it could be costly). With playstation's long years of memorable games & characters its a tough choice putting them all in at any given time at once.
---
#4taoxadasaPosted 1/4/2013 2:43:58 PM
You forgot Robbit.
---
Jumping Flash!'s Robbit needs to be in Playstation All-Stars as DLC! Sign the petition for him here:
http://www.petitionbuzz.com/petitions/robbitfirstallstar
#5Ballistic_kiss(Topic Creator)Posted 1/4/2013 2:57:49 PM
"Now obviously there are other characters that have been mentioned more times than people can keep track of..."

"With playstation's long years of memorable games & characters its a tough choice putting them all in at any given time at once."

And i hinted that most likely there could be a sequel (besides Robbit has been mentioned before).

If a sequel does come along, lets hope they pool in as many characters that everyone can handle (which is what im throwing out there).

One thing that would help greatly with the next game is to have multiple characters from a game/franchise. Though a single menu would bee too large with all those tiny squares for 50, 60 or 70 characters all together. instead what they could do is have like a map screen with a game title (Final Fantasy, Syphon Filter, Twisted Metal, Metal Gear Solid, Hotshots, Resident Evil etc. or so on), and then once you click on that area you get that franchises character select screen, with a back option to get back to the central franchises map to pick characters from a different game.
---
#6EnyalbPosted 1/4/2013 2:58:26 PM
... I can't help but think of a ZOE mech being the size of all the other playable characters, just way too odd. It'd be better if there was stage based around the series, or just some kind of assist trophy (which is something that superbot should implement actually).

All and all, I agree with you sir, truly. Also, there needs to be a rep. for Level-5, since the company IS best buds with Sony after all. Jeanne D Arc or Rogue Galaxy would be good reps. for this game.
---
---
I could put a signature down here, but I can't really come up with anything witty to say except for some obscure reference to a video game or anime...
#7jeremy21642Posted 1/4/2013 2:59:19 PM
Guy your wall of text spanned 3 posts.

That is WAY to long.

Its so long I hand to type all this just to say I didn't read it.
---
"That is not dead which can eternal lie, and with strange aeons even death may die" - H.P Lovecraft
#8Ballistic_kiss(Topic Creator)Posted 1/4/2013 3:09:00 PM
Enyalb posted...
... I can't help but think of a ZOE mech being the size of all the other playable characters, just way too odd. It'd be better if there was stage based around the series, or just some kind of assist trophy (which is something that superbot should implement actually).

All and all, I agree with you sir, truly. Also, there needs to be a rep. for Level-5, since the company IS best buds with Sony after all. Jeanne D Arc or Rogue Galaxy would be good reps. for this game.
---

Now theres a good thought. And honestly i thought of throwing out Rogue Galaxy as a prime example. but im glad someone else did lol. But with the ZOE, a super move might be something where the mech punches through a side of the level to unload on the other characters.

And hey you never know, if enough of this is spread around, hopefully someone will take notice of the ideas. Im not saying im the only one with good ideas, but the more details and thought that go into really help to paint a picture, hopefully it helps a little bit more than just saying "we need this!"

ohh and thanks for the heads up jeremy21642, obviously i was going for the simple "i want this, gimme that character" approach ... i must have just gotten carried away :)
---
#9EnyalbPosted 1/4/2013 3:21:02 PM
Ballistic_kiss posted...
Enyalb posted...

---

Now theres a good thought. And honestly i thought of throwing out Rogue Galaxy as a prime example. but im glad someone else did lol. But with the ZOE, a super move might be something where the mech punches through a side of the level to unload on the other characters.

And hey you never know, if enough of this is spread around, hopefully someone will take notice of the ideas. Im not saying im the only one with good ideas, but the more details and thought that go into really help to paint a picture, hopefully it helps a little bit more than just saying "we need this!"

ohh and thanks for the heads up jeremy21642, obviously i was going for the simple "i want this, gimme that character" approach ... i must have just gotten carried away :)

At first I was thinking of Dark Cloud instead, but... Rogue Galaxy IS basically Dark Cloud... IN SPACE. That and I was considering on mentioning a Nippon Ichi character, like Laharl or a Prinny, but I seriously doubt that will ever happen without INCREDIBLE fan demand. And hey, your posts were extremely detailed, it's something that shouldn't be cut off.
---
---
I could put a signature down here, but I can't really come up with anything witty to say except for some obscure reference to a video game or anime...
#10Ballistic_kiss(Topic Creator)Posted 1/4/2013 5:14:16 PM
i dont see why Dark Cloud cant be its own option, the original was a greatest hits & they made a sequel, thats pretty relevant. But i hear what your saying.

And thanks & hey if you dont see enough people pulling out ideas with too much reasoning behind them (if they are patient enough), throw this their way.

One thing thats always bothered me, ever since Activision publicly asked fans opinions about how gameplay & features should be in Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2 & then afterwards seeing large groups vocally throwing out their rage to the unbalanced stupidity that can happen in the online modes and all. I know the companies around PSASBR are looking into fan feedback (to a degree) but they also have their own ideas on who or what they will include coming up. But its no guarantee that they are on the same page with everyone else.

So i gave out some ideas (both on PS characters and possibilities on handling larger rosters for a new game). The details are what make an idea somewhat plausible to coming true.
---