Why do people dismiss PS1 characters as wasted slots?

#21liquidblingPosted 1/6/2013 1:48:46 PM
I'd say it's the age demographic more than anything. Younger teens (13-16 etc) likely won't be familiar with the ps1 faces at all.
#22LordChewbaccaPosted 1/6/2013 1:48:57 PM
TheNardDog posted...
LordChewbacca posted...
T_K_14 posted...
lucapit posted...
I never knew who they were until This game came out..so yeah..not everyone on the roster is an allstar..more like unknown stars.

I didn't recognize a chunk of Super Smash Bros.' lineup when that game was first released either, so I guess Kirby and Samus were wasted slots.

How is this even possible?

Don't pretend you knew everyone there, unless you just mean the part about Samus and Kirby who had incredibly successful games. But it's a good way to show, just because you don't know someone doesn't mean they aren't valuable.

Anyway, I had no idea who ones like Ike and Marth were, due to the fact they were from a not-so-popular GBA game never released in North America (until after SMB). You think PS All-Stars picks obscure characters? Think again. Also Captain Falcon, who had a popular game but was easily unrecognizable due to the fact it was a racing game where you see him much much less than say, Sweet Tooth.

I can understand not knowing Ike and Marth(I know they come from fire emblem on the wii (I have never owned anything Nintendo other than a ds with 3 pokemon games) but not knowing who Kirby and Samus are is just weird. I never played any of the games they were in but I still recognized them.
#23Myles98Posted 1/6/2013 1:49:11 PM
Snovvbub posted...
Wait, really?

All I've been hearing is that the newer characters don't deserve their slots, and this should be PS1 All-Stars.

Because most people grew up with them and would personally consider them "all-stars" even though they have no new or revelant games.

I don't mind the lack of certain characters. I like this game for what it is. Sony characters beating the crap out of each other.
---
Noby Noby Boy for PSASBR
PSN ID: GRANDSCENARIOS
#24zombiabsolPosted 1/6/2013 1:49:22 PM
TheNardDog posted...
I hate Pewdiepie
He's just a screaming little punk who gets views from being an annoying hipster and knowing how to play the average Youtube viewer like a bongo. I was going to add attention whore, so add that I guess. But not very much, those reply girls are worse.

Though even with that, I'm glad he's there.
He gains awareness for ones like Parappa.

i definitely understand why some people dont like him, but i find him humorous , plus he introduced plenty of awesome games to me i need to try out, like amnesia.
---
(PSN - zombiabsol3) Playing:Resident Evil 6, PSASBR, and LBP:Karting. Add me :D
"No More Tears, Not Until I Avenge Your Death" ~ Helena Harper RE6
#25TheNardDogPosted 1/6/2013 1:50:11 PM
zombiabsol posted...
TheNardDog posted...
I hate Pewdiepie
He's just a screaming little punk who gets views from being an annoying hipster and knowing how to play the average Youtube viewer like a bongo. I was going to add attention whore, so add that I guess. But not very much, those reply girls are worse.

i definitely understand why some people dont like him, but i find him humorous , plus he introduced plenty of awesome games to me i need to try out, like amnesia.

Yeah, like I said, at least he introduces a lot new (or old) games to people.
---
Robbit (Jumping Flash!) definitely most wanted AND deserving for PS All-Stars Battle Royale!!!
Also, Sullivan is still a dirty old man.
#26zombiabsolPosted 1/6/2013 1:51:38 PM
Myles98 posted...
Snovvbub posted...
Wait, really?

All I've been hearing is that the newer characters don't deserve their slots, and this should be PS1 All-Stars.

Because most people grew up with them and would personally consider them "all-stars" even though they have no new or revelant games.

I don't mind the lack of certain characters. I like this game for what it is. Sony characters beating the crap out of each other.

NOSTALGIA
it explains alot of peoples opinions on gaming.
---
(PSN - zombiabsol3) Playing:Resident Evil 6, PSASBR, and LBP:Karting. Add me :D
"No More Tears, Not Until I Avenge Your Death" ~ Helena Harper RE6
#27TheNardDogPosted 1/6/2013 1:52:26 PM
LordChewbacca posted...
TheNardDog posted...
LordChewbacca posted...
T_K_14 posted...
lucapit posted...
I never knew who they were until This game came out..so yeah..not everyone on the roster is an allstar..more like unknown stars.

I didn't recognize a chunk of Super Smash Bros.' lineup when that game was first released either, so I guess Kirby and Samus were wasted slots.

How is this even possible?

Don't pretend you knew everyone there, unless you just mean the part about Samus and Kirby who had incredibly successful games. But it's a good way to show, just because you don't know someone doesn't mean they aren't valuable.

Anyway, I had no idea who ones like Ike and Marth were, due to the fact they were from a not-so-popular GBA game never released in North America (until after SMB). You think PS All-Stars picks obscure characters? Think again. Also Captain Falcon, who had a popular game but was easily unrecognizable due to the fact it was a racing game where you see him much much less than say, Sweet Tooth.

I can understand not knowing Ike and Marth(I know they come from fire emblem on the wii (I have never owned anything Nintendo other than a ds with 3 pokemon games) but not knowing who Kirby and Samus are is just weird. I never played any of the games they were in but I still recognized them.

You should know Fire Emblem characters were on SSB before Brawl and the Wii all together. Then yeah, I said I understood you on the Kirby and Samus part.
---
Robbit (Jumping Flash!) definitely most wanted AND deserving for PS All-Stars Battle Royale!!!
Also, Sullivan is still a dirty old man.
#28FoolMeNeverPosted 1/6/2013 1:53:08 PM
TheNardDog posted...
zombiabsol posted...
TheNardDog posted...
I hate Pewdiepie

Yeah, like I said, at least he introduces a lot new (or old) games to people.

LP's in general do a good job of this. For instance, I had no interest in Saints Row the Third until I started watching SkippyGranola's LP of it. Same for DO IT TO IT's (short-lived) LP of Jade Empire.
---
A man who argues with people, who aren't even there,
is more fit to rap against this ****ing chair!
#29GreatJallopi(Topic Creator)Posted 1/6/2013 2:08:17 PM
zombiabsol posted...
im 15, the only character i didnt know was sir dan, even though ive heard of medieval (i think thats the name)

also, the only character i see as a wasted "slot" is evil cole. i even made a topic about it.
Parappa is awesome, and i actually saw him through pewdiepies youtube channel.
i heard of ape escape before
Toro, ive seen him plenty of times.
I just didnt know sir dan beforehand.

I firmly agree with your post. I'm 20, and Medieval was the only included franchise I'd never heard of.

Yes, Evil Cole is the only one who isn't needed. Don't know why Infamous gets two reps just because the game has a morality system.
---
I am the cheese. I am the best character on the show. I am better than both the salami and the bologna combined.
#30xXsabbathXxPosted 1/6/2013 2:23:15 PM
The only people i didnt know on this game were

The white cat guy (Toro i think)
Sir Daniel skeleton guy
and PaRappa the Rapper

Everyone else i know on this game :D