General tips and tricks for a newcomer?

#1Stanemac12Posted 1/9/2013 4:56:27 PM
I just got the game and I've been getting wrecked online, as expected. Its no doubt because I'm new and haven't had a chance to play nearly as much. My current "main" is only rank 40 or so while I've played against people as high as 999. Aside from just playing more to get better (which of course I intend to), what other general tips can you guys offer to help a new player to make a smoother transition into the game?
#21337ROXPosted 1/9/2013 4:59:11 PM
I find that doing challenges for the character i'm using increases my skill a bit. Learning what things i can do with each move and such.
---
That looks like a homing shot!
3DS: 4511-0726-1828
#3MAUIBOI_808Posted 1/9/2013 4:59:13 PM
Never quit a game halfway through
whether it be Ranked or Unranked matches
#4Stanemac12(Topic Creator)Posted 1/9/2013 5:00:56 PM
I'm not too worried about quitting, I pretty much never quit games, I know how to take a loss. I've even had some embarassing matches where I died over 10 times but I still toughed it out. Its the only way to learn what to do better.
#5KindertotenwaldPosted 1/9/2013 5:03:13 PM
Whos your main? I may be able to help you more.

Rolling leaves you wide open don;t abuse it.

Learn all the characters combos into supers so you know what to be looking out to avoid.

Incidently make sure you know your own, 9/10 throwing a super out will miss but if you can combo into it, it will hit every time.

Items can be game changers.
---
PSASBR: Raiden
PSN: Omnisignificance
#6_Judge_GabranthPosted 1/9/2013 5:03:37 PM
Just mash buttons and have fun. This isnt a real technical fighter like street fighter. Just have fun and dont try to take it seriously
#7KindertotenwaldPosted 1/9/2013 5:04:57 PM
_Judge_Gabranth posted...
Just mash buttons and have fun. This isnt a real technical fighter like street fighter. Just have fun and dont try to take it seriously

He wants to improve, why wouldn't he take it seriously?
---
#8Stanemac12(Topic Creator)Posted 1/9/2013 5:05:35 PM
The main(s) I've been using so far and enjoying are Sackboy and Nariko so any advise on those 2 in particular would be really appreciated.
#9KindertotenwaldPosted 1/9/2013 5:12:47 PM
Stanemac12 posted...
The main(s) I've been using so far and enjoying are Sackboy and Nariko so any advise on those 2 in particular would be really appreciated.

For Sack you will more than likely get focused.

His level 3 is the best Super in the game, if you can get that do so.

As people will be rushing you down and trying to throw you (to eject AP) learn the Melee combos alot of people won;t be expecting them.

When they are away from you spam projectiles and stand on the electric floor.

No adivce for Nariko other than bad supers and horribly long combos, more of a 2v2 character.
---
#10ArcBalticPosted 1/9/2013 5:22:35 PM
First do some if not all of the general Combat Trials. Then start doing the move list tutorials and combo tutorials for your character. Do some combat trials as your character. Practice a few more combos. Do some trials. Practice combos. Do Arcade. Finish trials. Play the game in All Stars Difficulty in solo content. Never play in the easier ones.

By the time you get out you will have already learned several neat tricks with your character. Then hop online and watch how people play. This worked well for me.
---
Live and PSN Tag- ArcBaltic
Games: UMvC3, SSF4:AE