So what is your overall opinion on this game at this point?

#1Bestia_SomniaPosted 1/25/2013 11:59:00 AM(edited)
I've had a lot of fun playing it, but I can't deny that it's not very great at doing what it was supposed to.

The balance is not great. The fanservice is terrible - too many poor repesentations. The content is practically nonexistent. The game is STILL buggy, which only continues to grow as Superbot patch it. The presentation is less than your average indie game. The graphics are below your standard fighting game and are more comparable to a downloadable PSN title. DLC support has been slow and a missed opportunity on Sony's end.

PSAS' failure was to focus on trying to be a competitive title. It came at the cost of everything else and for nothing. The tournament FGC aren't interested much in this game. The items being balanced around competitive play is what makes them all feel so similar and boring. They were apparently balanced around tournament use, which if that wasn't already completely bullcrap anyway, was completely ruined by the addition of the Eurayle's Head.

The game is not bad pers se and I did get my money's worth in the end, but I would definitely not recommended it to anyone and I barely find myself playing it as of lately.
#2AndKevinBaconPosted 1/25/2013 11:48:27 AM
It's really fun, but I agree with everything you said, minus the bit about DLC support.
#3LeVulcanPosted 1/25/2013 11:48:38 AM
Bestia_Somnia posted...
I've had a lot of fun playing it, but I can't deny that it's not very great at doing what it was supposed to.

The balance is not great. The fanservice is terrible - too many poor repesentations. The content is practically nonexistent. The game is STILL buggy, which only continues to grow as Superbot patch it. The presentation is less than your average indie game. The graphics are below your standard fighting game and are more comparable to a downloadable PSN title. DLC support has been slow and a missed opportunity on Sony's end.

The game is not bad pers se and I did get my money's worth in the end, but I would definitely not recommended it to anyone and I barely find myself playing it as of lately.

General feeling as well. Great party game with some friends, for a bit. Then it gets boring.

I still believe this game needs an HP system to make it work. Supers only while unique, can make matches very drawn out.
---
I rock. And roll. All day long. Sweet Suzie!
#4blaze19_0XPosted 1/25/2013 11:57:57 AM(edited)
It tried to be too different from Smash and it ultimately ended up hurting it much more than helping it.

Air camping is too strong, wakeup options are too strong, 95% of AP burst combos and level 1 and 2s are pretty limited as they only work if your opponent stays right next to you on the ground.

Making FFA a ranked option was a terrible idea, it should have been 1 vs 1 and 2 vs 2.

With that being said it's probably still too early to say for sure.
#5LightEcoSagePosted 1/25/2013 11:52:15 AM
My opinion is not ready until I see a certain buff in a character and DLC.
---
"Jak, you are the Greatest of Heroes" ~Precursor Leader
#6darkcloudrepeatPosted 1/25/2013 11:54:40 AM
blaze19_0X posted...
It tried to be too different from Smash and it ultimately ended up hurting it much more than helping it.

Air camping is too strong, wakeup options are too strong, 95% of AP burst comnbos and level 1 and 2s are pretty limited as they only work if your opponent stays right next to you on the ground.

Making FFA a ranked option was a terrible idea, it should have been 1 vs 1 and 2 vs 2.

Their is a 2v2 ranked option but it would have been nice to have a 1v1 option on both ranked and quick matches.
#7darkcloudrepeatPosted 1/25/2013 11:54:43 AM
[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]
#8blaze19_0XPosted 1/25/2013 11:56:38 AM
darkcloudrepeat posted...
blaze19_0X posted...

Air camping is too strong, wakeup options are too strong, 95% of AP burst comnbos and level 1 and 2s are pretty limited as they only work if your opponent stays right next to you on the ground.

Their is a 2v2 ranked option but it would have been nice to have a 1v1 option on both ranked and quick matches.

I know but even so, 2 vs 2 ranked but being timed isn't ideal. It should be stocks+timer.
#9TerotrousPosted 1/25/2013 12:18:25 PM(edited)
I think it's a pretty fun game and I appreciate how it tried to do its own thing. It's clearly the best smash-like game that isn't Smash, I'd put it way ahead of stuff like TMNT Smash Up and Battle Stadium DON and I think I'd even rate it a bit above Jump Ultimate Stars.

However, the game definitely shows some signs of "first installment polish issues". No doubt they didn't exactly know how this game would play from a competitive standpoint (you can't get there with theory fighter alone) and as such some types of tactics are too strong while others are too weak.

In particular, as has been noted previously, being in the air is too strong, as most characters cannot do significant damage to airborne opponents. This occurs due to the combo system, it relies generally around special states that can't be applied in the air. We could simply change this to a more traditional juggle-based system, but I'd prefer not to - I drastically prefer the way combos are laid out in this game, which is based on logic, as compared to the completely arbitrary juggle count limits for each move found in games like SF4 and SFxT, or the idiotic hitstun deterioration mechanic of MvsC3 that does nothing but cause some combos to randomly drop at certain points. A better solution is simply to give characters a way to place their enemies in those states from the air. Giving each character an air throw that drops the opponent to the ground and puts them in a STUN state (allowing a full combo or super afterwards) would instantly address all issues of air camping and make going to the air MUCH more of a risk.

I also think this game could use Smash's spot dodge mechanic, to make it possible to escape safe pressure, which is another issue this game has.

And 1 on 1 generally doesn't work, because some supers are much worse in 1 on 1 than they are in FFA. This should likely be fixed through adjusted AP costs for 1on1 only.

I think this game generally has potential and if they can refine these mechanics a sequel could be totally amazing (consider SSB64 -> SSBM). It's a good start, there's just still more work to be done.
---
http://terosclassicgaming.blogspot.com/ - Watch me beat "NES Die Hard"
http://www.backloggery.com/tero - My backloggery
#10LaKizzle23Posted 1/25/2013 12:14:25 PM
[This message was deleted at the request of a moderator or administrator]