This game will not be at EVO...

#31EnyalbPosted 1/27/2013 12:56:43 PM
blaze19_0X posted...
Anyway, as of right now Smash deserves it way more and is a better game for this sort of thing for several reasons.

I would like to see PSASBR at Evo sometime down the road but as of right now as a 1 vs 1 spectator game, it sucks. No one wants to see 2 people running away and air camping for 2 minutes before something interesting happens and then rinse and repeat. I think being at Evo this year would have actually worsened the perception of the game rather than help it any way.

It would be better if it was a 2v2 or FFA tournament really. Screw trying to be fair in a mascot fighter, give me something interesting to watch...
---
* Insert witty anime/video game reference here *
PSN ID: BLAYNEproject
#32Ellinika_Posted 1/27/2013 1:03:15 PM
It may not be at EVO but it will be at a major tournament happening around then....
---
http://i.imgur.com/DKu4M.gif http://i.imgur.com/hXQN5.gif http://i.imgur.com/N6qpk.gif http://i.imgur.com/yNoNz.gif
#33RollerBobPosted 1/27/2013 2:02:22 PM
FoolMeNever posted...
RollerBob posted...
Skullgirls... ugh...

An indie fighting game that couldn't deliver its content, mostly from slashing its roster from 30 to 8... yeah, very eager to see THAT at EVO...

Yeah, it's almost like they had a low budget and time constraints.

And if you consider characters that were never going to be in the initial roster to begin with, and only exist in drawings, "slashed", then there are many characters in every fighting games that were slashed.

I understand that ALL games get slashed content, not just fighting games, let's get this out of the way. It's just that... Skullgirls is lacking several elements that would make this game memorable.

- The VERY small roster doesn't help. It cripples a lot of features and limits the metagame's potential. The arcade mode has you fight some characters twice during the run, where in ALL other fighting games, you don't fight the same character twice. In SF2, for instance, which had 8 playable characters, also had 4 unplayable bosses, and I think you had like 10 fights in the arcade mode, but at least you don't fight the same character twice. Also, the game has a 3-vs-3 match, but they need like 3 times the characters to make that feature viable.

- The infinite-breaker mecanic has been crippled greatly. We now have 100% combos that can't be broken and that extend for like 5 minutes or so. It's getting the same treatment as UMvC3, where, without any combo-breaker, the combos can't be broken and pretty much kill you if they connect.

- The lack of something unique to the game. To me, it looks like just about every other 2D fighting game on the market. It lacks the special feature that would tell people "Buy this game, I'm not like them, I got this that they don't".

- The lack of efforts showed. It was supposed to be a fighting game made by fighting game fans for fighting game fans. They missed their mark. Fighting games today have at least 16 characters, trials, challenges and such... Skullgirls doesn't have that, or if it does, it's poorly executed.
---
Yes, I'm Canadian. Yes, I speak french. Yes, I live in Quebec.
#34ArmedDragoonPosted 1/27/2013 2:51:37 PM
RollerBob posted...
FoolMeNever posted...
RollerBob posted...
Skullgirls... ugh...

An indie fighting game that couldn't deliver its content, mostly from slashing its roster from 30 to 8... yeah, very eager to see THAT at EVO...

Yeah, it's almost like they had a low budget and time constraints.

And if you consider characters that were never going to be in the initial roster to begin with, and only exist in drawings, "slashed", then there are many characters in every fighting games that were slashed.

I understand that ALL games get slashed content, not just fighting games, let's get this out of the way. It's just that... Skullgirls is lacking several elements that would make this game memorable.

- The VERY small roster doesn't help. It cripples a lot of features and limits the metagame's potential. The arcade mode has you fight some characters twice during the run, where in ALL other fighting games, you don't fight the same character twice. In SF2, for instance, which had 8 playable characters, also had 4 unplayable bosses, and I think you had like 10 fights in the arcade mode, but at least you don't fight the same character twice. Also, the game has a 3-vs-3 match, but they need like 3 times the characters to make that feature viable.

- The infinite-breaker mecanic has been crippled greatly. We now have 100% combos that can't be broken and that extend for like 5 minutes or so. It's getting the same treatment as UMvC3, where, without any combo-breaker, the combos can't be broken and pretty much kill you if they connect.

- The lack of something unique to the game. To me, it looks like just about every other 2D fighting game on the market. It lacks the special feature that would tell people "Buy this game, I'm not like them, I got this that they don't".

- The lack of efforts showed. It was supposed to be a fighting game made by fighting game fans for fighting game fans. They missed their mark. Fighting games today have at least 16 characters, trials, challenges and such... Skullgirls doesn't have that, or if it does, it's poorly executed.

The bottom line is that Skullgirls has potential, but circumstances have caused issues. Move lists were supposed to be patched into the game very soon, along with a PC version of the game and of course the patch, but the patch was obscenely delayed to due to forces outside their control and who knows if the PC version is ever seeing the light of day.

SSBM has no shortage of support and Skullgirls needs all the support it can get. That's why I can't back Melee in good conscience.
---
Official Thoth of the SMT IV board.
Official Dart of the PASBR board.
#35chiefofsb78Posted 1/27/2013 2:58:49 PM
ArmedDragoon posted...
Rainbowsaurus posted...
Wait, MLP? My Little Pony?

wat

Yeah, Fighting is Magic. People in the FGC have started taking it seriously when the staff released a trailer and were shocked to see that it's actually functional looking.

None of this matters at the moment because the game is not finished and not eligible, these people should at least be donating for something else.

People in the FGC have started taking it seriously
lol like who i have yet to see anybody in the FGC play or even talk about MLP please just stop
#36chiefofsb78Posted 1/27/2013 3:01:51 PM
I rather have Skullgirls at EVO anyways at least its a fighting game Smash & MLP just hell no
#37ArmedDragoonPosted 1/27/2013 3:02:38 PM
chiefofsb78 posted...
ArmedDragoon posted...
Rainbowsaurus posted...

wat

Yeah, Fighting is Magic. People in the FGC have started taking it seriously when the staff released a trailer and were shocked to see that it's actually functional looking.

None of this matters at the moment because the game is not finished and not eligible, these people should at least be donating for something else.

lol like who i have yet to see anybody in the FGC play or even talk about MLP please just stop

http://www.gamespot.com/features/the-most-unlikely-fighter-youve-never-heard-of-6402004/

My goodness it's a three page article on Gamespot about this exact thing, where did this come from?
---
Official Thoth of the SMT IV board.
Official Dart of the PASBR board.
#38DopplesPosted 1/27/2013 3:09:42 PM
I'm tempted to run a PSA side tournament to be honest. No reason not to, since I don't think I'll be entering any games anyways. :P
---
PSN: TheFinestBrew
Looking to improve my MvC3 game, would like advice from anyone who wants to give it.
#39Ellinika_Posted 1/27/2013 3:17:44 PM
chiefofsb78 posted...
ArmedDragoon posted...
Rainbowsaurus posted...

wat

Florida's FGC has a decently sized Brony community
And there's some people that took interest in jt
---
http://i.imgur.com/DKu4M.gif http://i.imgur.com/hXQN5.gif http://i.imgur.com/N6qpk.gif http://i.imgur.com/yNoNz.gif
#40RollerBobPosted 1/27/2013 3:50:29 PM
ArmedDragoon posted...
The bottom line is that Skullgirls has potential, but circumstances have caused issues. Move lists were supposed to be patched into the game very soon, along with a PC version of the game and of course the patch, but the patch was obscenely delayed to due to forces outside their control and who knows if the PC version is ever seeing the light of day.

SSBM has no shortage of support and Skullgirls needs all the support it can get. That's why I can't back Melee in good conscience.

It's things like these that I can't "forgive" to Skullgirls' devs. They cut important stuff and put their hopes in something outside of their control. It's an indie game, for crying out loud, they should have taken the time and money needed to make it good. They jumped to a publisher too early, and then things started to go wrong with cuts. They literally screwed up their chances, they didn't make it up to standards, especially when they knew what were those standards. To me, those mistakes are worse than those that Capcom made for SFxT.
---
Yes, I'm Canadian. Yes, I speak french. Yes, I live in Quebec.