Just finished every Arcade run on All-star.

#21metagrossjPosted 1/28/2013 2:50:08 PM
pixel378 posted...
I disagree I still think the story mode was egregious. The computers are just boring to fight, they don't learn from mistakes and enemy tendencies, and go down without a fight in all cases. So the only reason to play would be cutscenes, which are lacking in every way. Intros and outros are pictures, the rivals cutscenes are q0 seconds long and bad quality, making the characters seem like jackasses.

And to top it all off the boss is just executed so badly.

I honestly hope Superbot doesn't make the next game. I have supported the game for a long time on this board, but they just didn't suceed in hindsight. Not only is the character selection just damn lackluster and limited, they realy SHOULD have just copied they ring out system, and added supers as a meter fill power up to add an extra element, not the only way to ko.

I personally think the game is strictly for multiplayer I'm guessing that was superbots main focus
---
PSN: BigSnoop6
Black 2 fc 2108 7541 4129
#22Armand20Posted 1/28/2013 3:10:12 PM
All-Stars is seriously feels a little too easy. Empty cancel to death.
#23pixel378Posted 1/28/2013 8:18:09 PM
Chzrm3 posted...
pixel378 posted...
I disagree I still think the story mode was egregious. The computers are just boring to fight, they don't learn from mistakes and enemy tendencies, and go down without a fight in all cases. So the only reason to play would be cutscenes, which are lacking in every way. Intros and outros are pictures, the rivals cutscenes are q0 seconds long and bad quality, making the characters seem like jackasses.

And to top it all off the boss is just executed so badly.

I honestly hope Superbot doesn't make the next game. I have supported the game for a long time on this board, but they just didn't suceed in hindsight. Not only is the character selection just damn lackluster and limited, they realy SHOULD have just copied they ring out system, and added supers as a meter fill power up to add an extra element, not the only way to ko.

Oo, haven't seen you post in a while, pix!

I agree with the sentiment being tossed around in this thread that the story mode could've used some more variety in the fights. Again, they'd gone and created all these cool modes of fighting in the challenge modes, it would've been nice to use 'em here.

I enjoyed the story mode enough the first time I played through it (Sackboy), the fights were fun enough... but the actual "story" was really poorly written, I gotta say. It was awesome that they got Stephen Fry to do the intro to the story, but whoever wrote his lines didn't even try. They just had him rambling incoherently about dreams and happiness for a few minutes, and then the story mode starts. Then when it ends he's back to talking about dreams and happiness.

It's the typical Superbot "oh yeah, we know what this game is all about" mentality. : P I wasn't expecting Shakespeare, but ffs....

Why didn't they just set up Sackboy's frame story as "he heard the pleas of a lonely child, and set out to bring her happiness?" Because that was what happened in his rivalry battle, he made the little sister happy. : P

By the way, as far as issues go this is such a minor issue that it hadn't even registered in my mind until this thread. Pixel's post actually got me thinking about it. I know ImDynSquirtle or some of the other people who hate me are probably foaming at the mouth, thinking "I'M GONNA PIN HIM TO THE WALL WITH THIS ONE", but seriously - I don't emphatically care about the story. It's just one of those things that's like.... "Really, SB?"

I feel like all I do these days is complain about PSASBR, though. It's probably time for me to take my own sage-like advice and stop posting on the boards. Q_Q

Hey Chrzm :D I lurk sometimes now but this board is boring with no info recently.

It's offensive to the point where I dare say, and this is thrown around a lot, gamefaqs could have written better ideas for these characters stories, and brainstormed better ideas for rivals, the boss etc. And they really showed they are a new amatuer studio with a lot of things, menus (Doesn't matter), story, cutscene quality, not being able to get characters i'd bet more experienced studios could have etc.

Honestly, Its weird but give the sequel to Naughty dawg. Adds some superbot fighting game guys in there for guidance on the finer aspects of a fighting game, but Naughty dawg would put out a polished masterpiece that would launch the franchise to similar popularity as smash IMO.

But back to this game, I still have fun with it playing online, but I can't shake the feeling it would have been much funner by a different studio, using the ring out system. I'm just frustrated I guess, this game makes me feel foolish thinking it was going to work out. I will not buy a sequel unless significant changes are made.
---
MGO- Mr. Detroit
#24blaze19_0X(Topic Creator)Posted 1/28/2013 8:28:50 PM(edited)

Hey Chrzm :D I lurk sometimes now but this board is boring with no info recently.

It's offensive to the point where I dare say, and this is thrown around a lot, gamefaqs could have written better ideas for these characters stories, and brainstormed better ideas for rivals, the boss etc. And they really showed they are a new amatuer studio with a lot of things, menus (Doesn't matter), story, cutscene quality, not being able to get characters i'd bet more experienced studios could have etc.

Honestly, Its weird but give the sequel to Naughty dawg. Adds some superbot fighting game guys in there for guidance on the finer aspects of a fighting game, but Naughty dawg would put out a polished masterpiece that would launch the franchise to similar popularity as smash IMO.

But back to this game, I still have fun with it playing online, but I can't shake the feeling it would have been much funner by a different studio, using the ring out system. I'm just frustrated I guess, this game makes me feel foolish thinking it was going to work out. I will not buy a sequel unless significant changes are made.

The problem is they developed a Super and AP burst combo system (which is limited anyway) but then developed the rest of the game in a way that directly contradicts it.

What's the point of all these supers and AP burst combos when the majority of the time, air camping and a lot of the stages makes them useless?

As a result the game feels extremely limited. And that's just the gameplay department.
I agree the polish just isn't there in any aspect. All of it could have been done better.

And then to top it off it's missing things that no fighting game released in 2012 should be missing such as replays and 1 vs 1 random matchmaking/ranked.

I think the reason we all thought it would work out in the end was buying into the hype and the refusal to believe Sony's own platform fighter could go wrong. We didn't want to believe that.
#25pixel378Posted 1/28/2013 8:31:15 PM
blaze19_0X posted...

The problem is they developed a Super and AP burst combo system (which is limited anyway) but then developed the rest of the game in a way that directly contradicts it.

What's the point of all these supers and AP burst combos when the majority of the time, air camping and a lot of the stages makes them useless?

As a result the game feels extremely limited. And that's just the gameplay department.
I agree the polish just isn't there in any aspect. All of it could have been done better.

And then to top it off it's missing things that no fighting game in released in 2012 should be missing such as replays and 1 vs 1 random matchmaking/ranked.

I think the reason we all thought it would work out in the end was buying into the hype and the refusal to believe Sony's own platform fighter could go wrong. We didn't want to believe that.

Yeah and they didn't show what the game really would be until way late. We mistook this for building hype when in reality it was covering up the black eyes this game has.

Do you think Sony has a different studio that could turn this franchise around?

ALSO Paul gale messed everything up. He had me really thinking this game would be so much better, he killed it lol.
---
MGO- Mr. Detroit
#26blaze19_0X(Topic Creator)Posted 1/28/2013 10:03:13 PM
Naughty Dog would be good for the Polish/Marketing department as you said but I'm not sure what their experience with fighting games is like.

I think Sony should have gotten Namco employees to help them out like how the next Smash is doing.
#27TerotrousPosted 1/29/2013 1:17:04 AM
blaze19_0X posted...

I don't think that's quite it. The problem is basically that the game's combo system relies almost entirely on placing the opponent into certain special states that they're only susceptible to on the ground. It was likely inexperience that caused them to miss the obvious point that being in the air would therefore make you extremely safe.

Actually, that's another way you could fix the game - you can be put into stun / stagger / crumple from the air, if you get hit by a move that causes it you just fall straight down to the ground and then are put in that state.

Nariko's air Down Triangle actually already does this, but it's the only move in the game that does.
---
http://terosclassicgaming.blogspot.com/ - Watch me beat "GBA Summon Night Swordcraft Story"
http://www.backloggery.com/tero - My backloggery