Does anyone have sir dan tips?

#1DavidgraymanPosted 1/28/2013 12:22:12 PM
My sweet tooth game is lacking and need a new character. Anything even basics would help
---
The official Pepsimaaaaaaaaaaaaaan of the PSABR board.
#2PhantomEmperorPosted 1/28/2013 12:26:21 PM
Yeah i do but it will cost you.
---
PSN:PhantomEmperor
PSASBR:Raiden,Sly,Ratchet UNIB:Seth,Gordeau BBCP:Hakumen,hazama,jin UMVC3:Jill,vjoe,storm SSF4ae:Vega,Yang SSBB:Fox,Marth MK9:Ermac KOF:K`
#3Davidgrayman(Topic Creator)Posted 1/28/2013 12:33:03 PM
PhantomEmperor posted...
Yeah i do but it will cost you.

This unfortunate...under any other circumstance i'd offer my soul....but i gave it away for a bunch of crappy Sweet Tooth tips...how bout a freebie?
---
#4Davidgrayman(Topic Creator)Posted 1/28/2013 12:47:45 PM
bump for great justice?
---
#5DireProphecyPosted 1/28/2013 12:59:16 PM
You can spam the **** out of his thrownaxe (it is neutrial triangle I think) because it is such a good projectile. Sir Dan can put up a ghetto wall of projectiles by throwing out the axe, launching forwards his head (side-circle I think), and possibly putting fire on the ground. All this is faster if done in the air, and preferrably slightly over the ground. His square combos are fairly simple to learn and they can confirm from the axe hitting someone, or an aerial down square.
#6ZeroBeats GhostPosted 1/28/2013 1:13:54 PM
DireProphecy posted...
You can spam the **** out of his thrownaxe (it is neutrial triangle I think) because it is such a good projectile. Sir Dan can put up a ghetto wall of projectiles by throwing out the axe, launching forwards his head (side-circle I think), and possibly putting fire on the ground. All this is faster if done in the air, and preferrably slightly over the ground. His square combos are fairly simple to learn and they can confirm from the axe hitting someone, or an aerial down square.

To add to this, you can toss in his drumstick (up circle) for even more of a projectile wall.

The axe will always come back to Dan, and causes a soft knockback.

The drumstick covers a nice vertical arc and can take a bit to actually land, perfect for interrupting people who forgot/didn't realize it was still there.

The green hand will cover a pretty long distance on the ground if it doesn't hit something. With its small size and depending on what's going on, people sometimes don't pay it any attention at all. Even when they do notice it, it's another obstacle they need to maneuver around.

His side square can be charged on the ground and rolled out of to cancel it early. A full charge will guard break - something a lot of players don't expect. You can mess with the timing to throw people off by letting go of the charge early or just baiting them with it and rolling away. I tend to use it more in the air, though.

Dan is all about tech traps and chases. After causing someone a hard knockdown, you can follow up with a down square on the ground or in the air. The grounded down square is a slow, multi-hit spin attack. This can often catch people rolling on wake-up, since the move lasts a while. Gets you a free combo too if it connects.

The air down square is one of his most useful combo starters. It's got good range, can hit people behind him, is one of his faster moves and by virtue of being in the air, makes it a bit harder to punish. Be sure to use this one often.

The flame carpet move (down circle) is pretty useful as previously mentioned. Be sure to only put this down in the air, though, since it's faster/safer that way. It's great at destroying traps, such as Sweet Tooth and Sly's mines, Spike's bananas and Sackboy's cake/shock pads.

Dan's shield can absorb up to three projectile hits, giving Dan the AP the other person would have gotten if the move had hit. This actually includes stuff like Radec's second hit of his forward square combo (the gunshot that sends people flying away), meaning whenever Dan has his shield out and Radec actually lands the first hit, that second knockback hit will never happen.

It can also absorb mines if you have it out and roll over them just right, believe it or not.

His charge attack (side triangle) can be held down to make him run for a great distance. Without the shield, hitting someone staggers them, setting up for a combo. With the shield though, it gives him super armor and lets him plow through most anything. I mostly use it with the shield out, when I want to get to the other side of the screen in a hurry and/or want to interrupt people mid-combo.

His hammer attack I never really found much use for. It's terribly slow on the ground, and in the air it's easy to see coming a mile away. It's one of his only moves I don't really put to use.
---
ZeroBeat
Do androids dream of electric boogaloo?
#7ZeroBeats GhostPosted 1/28/2013 1:19:30 PM
When fighting people, try to get a feel for how they react to getting launched into the air with his up square. Pay close attention to how they tech; if they tech in place or to the side, you can get them with the level 1. If they dodge first, but still tech one of those ways, you can still get them, albeit you'll have to wait a few seconds.

If they tech downwards, you can try walking a few inches closer and pop the level 1. If you do this super point blank on a grounded opponent, it can hit most of the cast, still. Smaller characters like Parappa and Sackboy won't get affected by this, of course.

If they tech down after you launch them, you can at least follow up with a throw, too.

With his level 2, I try to make sure I kill at least one person with the main beam itself, rather than the spheres. This will often cause the rest of the spheres to fly straight up instead of home after people, but considering how unreliable the spheres can be at that sometimes, I'd rather get at least one guaranteed kill over possibly getting none. So, I mostly use this as an anti-air.

His level 3 is pretty underpowered. I only ever use this thing on the smallest stages, like Dojo or sometimes Alden's Tower (once we get to the top).

In general, I feel like Dan has a great moveset all around that helps him deal with most situations. It's just his supers that are so terribly underpowered that makes it harder to win with him. I personally find him much stronger in 2v2 than FFA or 1v1, since he can work as a great partner for others with all his moves that stun/stagger people, not to mention depending on who his partner is, they can help set up his own supers, too.
---
ZeroBeat
#8WSPro17Posted 1/28/2013 1:38:00 PM
Fantastic write-up, Zero. I've not played Dan much since last season but this made me re-think my life.
#9ZeroBeats GhostPosted 1/28/2013 2:39:02 PM
WSPro17 posted...
Fantastic write-up, Zero. I've not played Dan much since last season but this made me re-think my life.

Heh, thanks. Sir Dan was a character I decided I would main no matter what before the game was released, and I've been sticking with him for the past two months. He's definitely one of the toughest characters in the game to do well with, but I find him to be very rewarding despite that.

I just double checked, and the list of characters that Dan can't hit with a point blank, grounded level 1 are:

- Fat Princess
- Sackboy
- Toro
- Sly

Other things of note:
(And I'm going to go ahead and shorten square to S, for reference)

S, S, up S (30 AP)
After that launch, you can follow with:
- Up S (50AP total)
- S, S, S (60AP total)
This will require timing for the full combo to connect; you'll want to wait a split second after launching them with up square
- Electric Arrow
Note that the arrow follow-up is NOT a true combo, it relies on them recovering in place after getting launched into the air. Be particularly careful when attempting this on Sly, because they could do his counter and punish you for this. If it does land, though, you can follow up with another attack of your choosing (I like neutral jump S, since it causes a hard knock down for another round of tech chase shenanigans on the ground), or, more obviously, your level 1.

A LOT of his moves open people up for combos: Axe, green hand, drumstick, down square (on the ground or in the air), side square...be sure to use these moves quite often. Dan doesn't really have any reliable AP burst combos, so you have to rely heavily on filling the screen with as many of your projectiles as possible and capitalizing on any openings you get for a small combo.

And when you do get a combo going, be sure to try to set up your knocked down opponent for another one with his grounded and airborne down squares to do another one. He might not have AP bursts, but between all his projectiles, flame carpet and tech traps/chases, Dan isn't exactly a slouch at building meter.
---
ZeroBeat
#10GreenMeanPosted 2/2/2013 6:01:55 AM
A lot of useful information here, thanks! So if i get this right the best way to land his lvl 1 is to up square and then if they...

1. Neutral Tech or Tech away you should hit with arrow or lvl 1
2. Tech over your head you should hit with lvl 1 aimed up
3. Tech down you walk forward and lvl 1, but won't work on certain characters.

So then what am I supposed to do against small characters that keep teching straight down? Throw them? Sure, but it won't kill them. If they don't risk jumping around above me I can't hit them with a random lvl 1 or 2 either, witch is really hard to do anyway if you ask me.

Was there a way to combo into lvl 2?
---
PSN: PlanktonPutte