Who should develop the sequel?

#21taoxadasaPosted 1/29/2013 12:23:41 AM
Chzrm3, I see what you mean about the mashups, but I think they are an awesome concept. There should be an option to turn the mashups off at least, and for multi-area stages like Alden's Tower or Invasion, let you choose which part to fight in if you don't like the transitions and stuff.
---
Jumping Flash!'s Robbit needs to be in Playstation All-Stars as DLC! Sign the petition for him here:
http://www.petitionbuzz.com/petitions/robbitfirstallstar
#22SSBR10Posted 1/29/2013 12:25:48 AM
Superbot.

Simple as that.
---
Little Mac, Mega Man, Travis Touchdown for Super Smash Bros. 4.
Street Fighter x Mortal Kombat, Shonen Jump vs. Capcom please.
#23LuminescentRulePosted 1/29/2013 4:32:37 AM
A shame there won't be a sequel V_V
---
http://www.yourgamercards.net/trophy/a/EmperorLawlight.png
January 2013 - PS3: NNK:WWW | WiiU: *tumbleweeds*
#24CrabhammarPosted 1/29/2013 4:39:00 AM
Chzrm3 posted...
XD Icy, something you said in the music thread got me started on another, totally unrelated rant. I should just write a thesis paper on all the reasons why PSASBR didn't succeed, I could probably sell it to companies as a case study on how to make sure a new IP doesn't drown in its own spittle.

@taox, that's fair enough. I always say that I'll never try to argue with anyone who really enjoys the game's engine/fighting system, I just think those things would've given the game significantly more competitive merit. Plus, you agreed with most of my other stuff so that makes me happy. *dances*

I do kinda feel like stage mash-ups burned through a lot of money that Superbot didn't have, though. As we all know, they didn't have a huge budget... I think making each stage have multiple backgrounds and all these crazy things going on is just a little much for a first effort. I would've rather had ~20 stages that all had diverse platform layouts and interesting things in that respect, than the 14 stages we've got where you can't really enjoy certain platforms.

I'm sure the people who have been following my incoherent rants right now are rolling their eyes back into their heads so fiercely that they're in pain, but my main example for this is Invasion. I actually really like the starting set up, where you're on the drop ships. I like it so much that I wish it was its own stage, just like that! The layouts are pretty fun and the threat of being knocked off to your death actually opens up a lot of options for the entirety of the cast, since everyone can get kills after someone's stunned from dying.

But it's not an option, and it's not an option because of the stage mash-up. I think it'd be way better to have cut that entire thing into two levels. One level is "invasion", and it's the killzone ships dropping down from the sky the entire time. The other level is "escape", and it's that grassy green ape escape field (the art assets would be a little different, since it'd still be an ape escape level, but they could keep the platform layout the same if they wanted, with the monkey in the cage and everything).

So with that right there, you could bump 14 levels to 15 and it actually gives people another interesting option. Who knows, maybe Invasion would be useless competitively, but I almost never pick it as is because I'm either in the mood for a close-up fight or a big map, and since that level is both it's going to partially be something I don't want. XD

The other levels all kind of represent unnecessary soaking of resources. Look at Franzea. It's beautiful, dynamic, and extremely fun (imo) to play on. That right there is a perfect level for a game like this! Then they go and add, on TOP of all that, this entire city in the background with a massive, extremely complex robot model. That's a lot of money for a stage that was already perfect, and all it does is mess up the theme of the stage.

They could've taken those art assets and made an entire stage dedicated to MGS. Let people fight in the street, with a couple of trucks or cars as the "platforms". The robot still shoots, and there's your level. Franzea doesn't get messed up and you make good use of all the art assets you created, instead of kind of mushing them together and really wasting all that impressive MGS stuff.

I dunno. I'm way too tired to be in front of a keyboard right now. XD

Hmm, I'd never even thought about Franzea. I forget that the city is even back there and they really don't mesh so well.

That case study is calling your name.
---
Sent from my iPhone via PowerFAQs 1.9... if you use PowerFAQs, ask me how to change your quoting style STAT!
PSN: Bluechacho
#25SimsyasPosted 1/29/2013 4:41:08 AM
sinncross posted...
Just stick with Superbot.

Seriously, you people whine like little kids. Yes there are some problems with the game, problems they can fix with a sequel. They are a brand new studio doing their first game on a budget that is clearly below what Sony gives their top studios.

If they screw up the 2nd game without amending anything then yeah sure... but goodness, just give the developer a chance.

They can't even fix problems with patches; they create new ones instead.
#26CrabhammarPosted 1/29/2013 4:43:07 AM
Simsyas posted...
sinncross posted...

Seriously, you people whine like little kids. Yes there are some problems with the game, problems they can fix with a sequel. They are a brand new studio doing their first game on a budget that is clearly below what Sony gives their top studios.

If they screw up the 2nd game without amending anything then yeah sure... but goodness, just give the developer a chance.

They can't even fix problems with patches; they create new ones instead.

To be fair, the music glitch is justified (and really annoying); they were probably trying so hard to prevent the new music from accidentally playing that they slipped up somewhere.
---
Sent from my iPhone via PowerFAQs 1.9... if you use PowerFAQs, ask me how to change your quoting style STAT!
PSN: Bluechacho
#27stevenbobPosted 1/29/2013 5:33:33 AM
holysquid posted...

Sure, they may have made these decisions for this game, but that does not mean they are incapable of recognizing their faults and improving upon them, especially considering they look at people's opinions on boards such as this one.

there have been tons of companys that say they read message board posts and address concerns but mostly they listen to the easy to fix complaints and ignore the real issues and so far superbot has been doing exactly that and messing even that up they are defiantly not a competent dev team at this time and sadly it shows in this game and its patches
---
Shin Megami Tensei Imagine us version name maelxich
Shin Megami Tensei Imagine Japanese version name maelxich
#28NDgamer1122Posted 1/29/2013 5:46:54 AM
Gotta agree with the stage mash ups. Neat idea, terrible execution. It'd be one thing if each part of the stage was awesome and you could turn mash ups off, but each part of the stage feels mediocre for the most part, and there's no way to turn them off. This really sucks, because in Smash, you're like "Oh, let's all pick Mario characters and play on the Mario level!" because it all fits the theme. With no set theme and particularly clashy mash-ups, the levels are just a mess.

Plus, there's less stages than we could have had with all the resources they spent making "two-in-one" stages, which is a shame, because now we only have 14 main stages (soon to be 15). Even Melee had 29, not to mention Brawl's 41 stages, nearly triple the amount we have. I don't count training stages, since they are bland as crap, and cannot be used in online modes (besides inviting someone to your versus match).
#29IcyFlamez96Posted 1/29/2013 5:50:25 AM
NDgamer1122 posted...
Gotta agree with the stage mash ups. Neat idea, terrible execution. It'd be one thing if each part of the stage was awesome and you could turn mash ups off, but each part of the stage feels mediocre for the most part, and there's no way to turn them off. This really sucks, because in Smash, you're like "Oh, let's all pick Mario characters and play on the Mario level!" because it all fits the theme. With no set theme and particularly clashy mash-ups, the levels are just a mess.

Plus, there's less stages than we could have had with all the resources they spent making "two-in-one" stages, which is a shame, because now we only have 14 main stages (soon to be 15). Even Melee had 29, not to mention Brawl's 41 stages, nearly triple the amount we have. I don't count training stages, since they are bland as crap, and cannot be used in online modes (besides inviting someone to your versus match).

This.
---
[Not changing sig until a new Ratchet and Clank game that I can be hyped for is announced.]
PSASBR Main: Ratchet, PSN: xQziCyFlaMeZxQz, msg to _krat0s_: K
#30blaze19_0XPosted 1/29/2013 8:56:47 AM(edited)
sinncross posted...

No, just no.

A lot of the problems in this game have absolutely nothing to do with budget.

This game needs a massive overhaul, it's not "oh let's nerf X character's AP gain" and suddenly the game is perfect. The game has several fundamental issues and they were intentional design choices.

Superbot just doesn't get it and they've proven it time and time again. They don't deserve a second chance. I want the next game to actually be successful.