Do any of you guys have any real experience with business or designing games?

#31Charizard18Posted 1/29/2013 4:27:27 PM
blazin640 posted...
Charizard18 posted...
Yes.

Yeah....

Before I fired you :P.

Lisa says hi BTW. She took your place.

...blast!
---
Who would win, Jedi Charizard or Jedi Jigglypuff?
"I'm a bagel whore" -blazin640
#32blazin640(Topic Creator)Posted 1/29/2013 4:30:03 PM
XdieX posted...
blazin640 posted...
XdieX posted...
I do have Experience in the designing dept. I worked for a few comic book publishers/companies and I know its very challenging just making one page of a comic book! There are many minds working together (sometimes bad, sometimes good) Everyone wants say within the team and it gets messy. Now I cannot speak for Superbot but I can give my 2 cents. That is where you will probably find the graphical issues, glitches, Infinite, freezing, etc... is because you have dead lines to make and they know that there will be issues. Designing is tough in any area im sure although I can only speak from the comic world, you will never please everyone.

I'm so glad someone understands.

Mind if I ask what you do now?

haha yeah there's one or two of us floating around out there. Well I unfortunately am no longer working for any comic book co. Believe it or not it is a tough business you either make a lot of money or you don't haha looks at DC and Marvel. I actually am applying for a few anime companies and other western comic book companies now. I still do art and designing and recently applying for a few gaming companies as well. Wish me luck haha ill need it.

That sounds really cool. If you get a job, give me a shout out, and I'll buy whatever you make in a heart beat to support a fellow designer. Hell maybe even 2 (except video games lol, one is enough).
---
There goes my free time
#33blazin640(Topic Creator)Posted 1/29/2013 4:31:36 PM
Chzrm3 posted...
Actually, yes, during college I was an intern for several companies and one of them was a video game company. I started doing QA but was moved onto the design team because I'd write these really thorough QA documents, and they liked my thought process.

It's partially why I'm so hard on Superbot - the company I worked with was also a start-up and was also making a brand new game, and many people on the team actually had no experience with video games, and came from a variety of random backgrounds. Our CEO had been an investment banker before starting the company, we had people who'd been teachers, etc.... and instead of presuming that they knew how video games worked, they immersed themselves in them for a while. We had 40+ year old mothers playing Halo so that they could better understand FPS games, since that's what we were making.

One of the main mantras in the company was to make changes as efficiently as possible. Whenever I wrote up QA stuff, I'd say "okay so here's the ideal way to change this, and then here's the cost-efficient way to change it." We had very little money, but we were able to stretch it out well.

Really, you can get a lot of mileage out of a little if you design sensibly.

I haven't checked back on that company, but when I left they were doing great. : D I hope they're still crushing it, they were in the educational games sector and had really expanded all throughout the tri-state.

I love hearing stories like this. Thanks for sharing.

Mind if ask where you are now in terms of jobs?
---
There goes my free time
#34blazin640(Topic Creator)Posted 1/29/2013 4:33:28 PM
Charizard18 posted...
blazin640 posted...
Charizard18 posted...
Yes.

Yeah....

Before I fired you :P.

Lisa says hi BTW. She took your place.

...blast!

You know what they say

Hoes before bros.

Got mine for dirt cheap. Where would the world be without gardner tools?
---
There goes my free time
#35xXStNerevarXxPosted 1/29/2013 4:35:11 PM
I played a smaller role in the designing of some major sports games. They're all pretty much the same year to year with minorq graphical changes. EAsy money.
---
Squats and bulking made my pants too tight.
Thanks a lot, now girls can see my small package pressing against the fabric. - ChopSocky
#36XdieXPosted 1/29/2013 4:38:13 PM
blazin640 posted...
XdieX posted...
blazin640 posted...
XdieX posted...
I do have Experience in the designing dept. I worked for a few comic book publishers/companies and I know its very challenging just making one page of a comic book! There are many minds working together (sometimes bad, sometimes good) Everyone wants say within the team and it gets messy. Now I cannot speak for Superbot but I can give my 2 cents. That is where you will probably find the graphical issues, glitches, Infinite, freezing, etc... is because you have dead lines to make and they know that there will be issues. Designing is tough in any area im sure although I can only speak from the comic world, you will never please everyone.

I'm so glad someone understands.

Mind if I ask what you do now?

haha yeah there's one or two of us floating around out there. Well I unfortunately am no longer working for any comic book co. Believe it or not it is a tough business you either make a lot of money or you don't haha looks at DC and Marvel. I actually am applying for a few anime companies and other western comic book companies now. I still do art and designing and recently applying for a few gaming companies as well. Wish me luck haha ill need it.

That sounds really cool. If you get a job, give me a shout out, and I'll buy whatever you make in a heart beat to support a fellow designer. Hell maybe even 2 (except video games lol, one is enough).

haha thanks will do. Im working really hard to get aboard DC and actually a few anime companies liked my resume so here's hoping!
---
PSN: I_HATE_EVERYONE1
http://youtu.be/tNW3ItQOd7c <--- haha