Can someone thoroughly explain Dante's cancelling?

#1Aalz-7Posted 1/30/2013 6:56:53 PM
Dante looks really interesting and I feel like he has some crazy potential in his combos, but I can't seem to grasp his cancelling aspect. If anyone could clarify it for me it would be great.
---
Heihachi main
Psn: Aalz-7
#2tomandsamPosted 1/30/2013 7:01:28 PM
On hit, any square attack can be cancelled into any triangle attack (or other square attack), which can be cancelled into any circle attack. To know that you did a cancel, you see and hear a red flash around Dante.

A good way to see cancelling for yourself is this combo:

Down Square, Forward Triangle, Up Circle

Press Forward Triangle as soon as Down Square hits, and wait for Dante to move below the enemy with the guns before pressing Up Circle. If you did it correctly, you should see a red flash on each move after the first move.

I would really recommend doing his Combo Tutorial, as it shows some cancelling.
---
This is quite possibly the worst user on GameFAQs:
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/user.php?=2426382
#3Aalz-7(Topic Creator)Posted 1/30/2013 7:03:21 PM
Ok I understand that, but what is the merit of Haveing up triangle, down triangle, and side triangle when neutral triangle can cancel as well?
---
Heihachi main
#4CrabhammarPosted 1/30/2013 7:04:46 PM
Aalz-7 posted...
Ok I understand that, but what is the merit of Haveing up triangle, down triangle, and side triangle when neutral triangle can cancel as well?

For consistency.

Up Triangle is VERY important in a few combos and in Empty Cancelling (the cornerstone of Dante gameplay). Down and Side don't do much :P
---
PSN: Bluechacho
I can't see your messages on the Vita! Sorry guys! :S
#5tomandsamPosted 1/30/2013 7:09:52 PM
Yeah, they're mostly for movement, to put Dante in the correct position to hit another attack. For example, Dante's air Up Triangle moves him back down unless you cancel it into a circle attack at the top, to make it can act like a third jump.

Also, as Crabhammar said, his Up Triangle is necessary for his empty cancel, which is his main method of comboing into his supers.
---
This is quite possibly the worst user on GameFAQs:
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/user.php?=2426382
#6jhoke13Posted 1/30/2013 7:40:22 PM
Tomandsam explained basic cancelling, I'll try to explain Empty Cancelling.

Empty Cancelling is basically just cancelling his grounded uT move with an Angel Dash (sC). The Angel Dash is then cancelled with Neutral Square or Neutral Circle. When you are low enough to the ground the Square or Circle move won't come out and instead will be stopped by you touching ground.

The main thing is you can only do the empty cancel by doing the Angel Dash in the opposite direction that you were facing when you press uT. This is because for some reason the Angel Dash won't cancel low enough to the ground if you do it in the direction you are facing. You can see this effect by trying it out in practice; try pressing uT and cancel onto fC as soon as possible. You won't be able to cancel into Angel Dash low enough. If you try uT then bC you can cancel into Angel Dash immediately and from there Circle or Square. This is to help you understand how and why it works.

There are a couple of ways to do the Empty Cancel, both ways are fine so use whatever feels better to you:

1. uT, bC, C or S
This way has the least amount of D-Pad movement but it leaves you facing away from them. You have to remember to turn around to continue your combo or do a super. This is the way I first learned to EC.

2. ubT, fC, C or S
By pressing Up-Back Triangle you will turn around during the gun shots. Doing it this way wiil keep you facing the opponent so you don't have to turn back around to continue.

I prefer to use Circle to finish the cancel because if you mess up you will go into a counter which could help save you from retaliation. Obviously you have to do all of this quickly but eventually muscle memory will kick in and it wont be so difficult anymore. Hope this helps.
---
XBL:Element H
PSN:Element_H13
#7Aalz-7(Topic Creator)Posted 1/30/2013 8:19:18 PM
Thanks. Is this reliable online?
---
Heihachi main
#8blazin640Posted 1/30/2013 8:27:57 PM
Aalz-7 posted...

FFA: Not really for combos. Hit confirms yes.

2v2: yes for both.
---
There goes my free time
#9jhoke13Posted 1/30/2013 8:49:18 PM
Aalz-7 posted...

Haha, when you first start to do EC combos online you will probably mess up and look like an idiot; I know I did. You'll get it with practice though and that's when things get stylish. I can do them almost without thinking now but lag will make you mess up occasionally. I even try to do things like cross them up with EC just to show off if I can.

Work on doing just the EC first and then when you are comfortable with that, try and add gun shots into EC for maximizing AP gain. Be aware though that if you use guns before EC the timing to land a super is extremely tight. It's better to EC alone into super. Also some characters seem to have different recovery speeds making the timing vary a bit. In practice try doing gun shots into EC on Kratos and then do it against Heihachi and you'll see a big difference in the time it takes them to recover from SSS crumple.
---
XBL:Element H
PSN:Element_H13