What are tiers?

#1RealSlyCooperPosted 1/30/2013 7:14:42 PM
I keep seeing people talking about tiers and I have no clue what they are.
---
I haven't stolen anything... Yet!
#2MosgusPosted 1/30/2013 7:20:21 PM
Tiers are things that separate one level from another when taking into account all objective and empirical variables of the subject matter.

In the case of fighting games, the subject matter would be the characters.

The characters are grouped, or "tiered," if you will, into different levels based on their optimal performance in a similar-skill environment in comparison to the rest of the cast.

In the best case scenarios, this data is collected and then presented under the premise of many of the best players running multiple sets with each other in order to find a certain value of a matchup between any two characters, which then extends throughout each of the possible combinations present.

In PSASBR's case, I'm thinking it's more along the lines of everybody just has a general idea of who the best characters are. Everyone can agree on who comprises the top tier, but every top level player I've seen who visits this board usually has a different lineup for them.
#3blazin640Posted 1/30/2013 7:25:59 PM
Basically how the characters rank on the roster.

Example: Obviously Raiden would be somewhere up top.
---
There goes my free time
#4GameNerd1994Posted 1/30/2013 7:26:51 PM
Silly raccoon! Tiers are for q- *hears shotguns being loaded* ...I'll shut up now.
---
Official Sly Cooper of the PlayStation All-Stars board.
Tara Strong fan for life!
#5jump__0Posted 1/30/2013 7:41:56 PM(edited)
It's based more of the data of character's moves and their properties rather than player skill.

That is you assume the characters are being played to their peak and comparing if their tools are terrible when matched up against the rest of the cast. Characters are moved down tiers or up until they're at an agreeable spot that they're better than the character's below them and worse by those above them.
The divisions of tiers are to mark significant gaps in who's better. ex, A tier is divided from B tier because they are better overall in a major way. the great the number of divisions between tiers the greater the magnitude of how much better the higher tier is.
Sometimes the magnitude of the difference between tiers is minimal, though noticeable.

tldr; Basically ranking character's based on properties on moves, movement, specials/supers, meter gain, tools etc.

Tiers will tell you who's the best in peak performance (i.e highest level tournament play) but don't necessarily translate to casual players playing because the lack of player skill/knowledge limits the capabilities and execution of the character.

tldr; Fighting game tiers are built around the idea they're for high level competitive play/

However some lower tiers can be a counter pick for high tier because of the properties of their moves vs that specific high tier character. An example is Young Link vs Jigglypuff in super smash bros melee.
---
power of friendship one shots everything. - DarkHeroZX
#6Chain_StrikePosted 1/30/2013 10:20:50 PM
Tiers are just really they to give a inaccurate reading of where characters stand against one another. I personally don't believe in them. With enough work any character is capable of being good and besting "top tier" charcters. Even with Character knowledge and experince.
---
http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lxyjpeMrnZ1qcq2vho1_500.gif http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lxyjpeMrnZ1qcq2vho2_500.gif The Juri Step. See it, love it.
#7DanulusPosted 1/30/2013 10:26:56 PM
Chain_Strike posted...
Tiers are just really they to give a inaccurate reading of where characters stand against one another. I personally don't believe in them. With enough work any character is capable of being good and besting "top tier" charcters. Even with Character knowledge and experince.

Still certain characters are just out right better than others in some games.

ie. Hsien-Ko in comparison to Dr. Doom in UMvC3.
ie. Hakan in comparison to Fei Long in SSF4AE
ie. Lucario in comparison to Meta Knight in SSBB
---
"Do not swallow your moral code in tablet form." - Christopher Hitchens
"What a shame." - J.C. Denton
#8fuzzylittlbunnyPosted 1/30/2013 10:43:29 PM
Chain_Strike posted...

Ivan Ooze laughs at this post.
---
( ^_^)/\(^_^ )
Maya high five!
#9chiefofsb78Posted 1/30/2013 10:53:15 PM
An excuse salty players use for the reason they cant beat another player because of the character they use or characters that is most popular of the roster everybody got their own opinion of who is top tier and low tier so its just BS ive seen players win tournaments with these so called low tier characters but the top tier (popular characters) just over shadows it and is what you see winning all the time just a bunch of BS
#10DanulusPosted 1/30/2013 11:11:59 PM
fuzzylittlbunny posted...
Chain_Strike posted...

Ivan Ooze laughs at this post.

lol oh god.
---
"Do not swallow your moral code in tablet form." - Christopher Hitchens
"What a shame." - J.C. Denton