Would this be a good game for me and my gal

#1El_DiosPosted 1/31/2013 10:31:54 AM
I'm a big gamer, but my girlfriend is not. I have around 35 bucks on a gamestop card and was wondering if you guys think this game has simple enough controls that a someone with no real gaming experience would enjoy this?

If not I'll pry end up grabbing lego lord of the rings since those games are pretty fun and pretty damn simple, but I know that I would enjoy this game more so than those.
---
Okay, no cream
#2DJPLACEPosted 1/31/2013 10:33:06 AM
it depends if she like cute and ugly things at the same time kicking the stuffing out of each other.
---
Not A Nintendo Lover anymore... But A Sony Lover...
PSN=DJPlace I play FIghters and co-op's and other games.
#3coolpizzacookPosted 1/31/2013 10:45:04 AM
The controls are easy, there's easy characters and more complex characters. If she doesn't mind fighting games and how this is, it's rather simple.
---
VIVA LA REVENGE!
#4jesstivalPosted 1/31/2013 11:19:08 AM
I bought this for myself, but my wife, who is absolutely not a gamer, loves to play it with me.

She absolutely adores going online and fighting 2v2, even though we usually lose. The one time we won, she was ecstatic.

Definitely a good game for a non-gamer significant other.
#5AllmightyJebusPosted 1/31/2013 11:36:48 AM
jesstival posted...
I bought this for myself, but my wife, who is absolutely not a gamer, loves to play it with me.

She absolutely adores going online and fighting 2v2, even though we usually lose. The one time we won, she was ecstatic.

Definitely a good game for a non-gamer significant other.

Basically, if yo get a high score, you score.
---
Come on, slam! And welcome to the jam!
Pokemon Black FC: 2366 1933 3349
#6El_Dios(Topic Creator)Posted 1/31/2013 11:51:59 AM
Alright, hearing some good things.

Now from a gamer stand point, what are the flaws of the game?
---
Okay, no cream
#7TerotrousPosted 1/31/2013 12:45:17 PM(edited)
To be honest I think the answer is probably not. There's no story mode for two players or anything, with a single local player you have three options:

- Play against each other, with or without additional AI opponents
- Play custom 2 on 2 games against the AI
- Play 2 on 2 online

The first one is likely out if you're a gamer and she's not. The third one might be as well, as you'll face some pretty skilled opponents on there once you start increasing your rank. That basically only leaves custom 2v2s vs the AI and I'm not sure that would hold up as well as some of your other multiplayer options on PS3.

Also, of course, one of the appeals of this game is seeing your favourite Sony character duke it out. If she's not familiar with Sony franchises, she probably won't get this out of it. It's also been my general experience that Smash Bros and similar games don't appeal to casual / non-gamers nearly as well as stuff like Mario and Mario Kart.

Personally I think my top recommendation would probably be for something like Katamari Forever, Sonic and All-Stars Racing Transformed, or LittleBigPlanet. Everyone loves Katamari, whether they're gamers or not. All-Stars Racing Transformed is like Mario Kart and you can do co-op for the entire campaign, which is very long. LittleBigPlanet is very accessible and cute.
---
http://terosclassicgaming.blogspot.com/ - Watch me beat "GBA Summon Night Swordcraft Story"
http://www.backloggery.com/tero - My backloggery
#8I_Wanna_CookiePosted 1/31/2013 12:56:50 PM
My girlfriend isnt much of a gamer, but she enjoys playing as Jak and Daxter. I never played against her though. She's only played single player.
---
I'm handsome.
#9Father_Time89Posted 1/31/2013 1:39:16 PM
Terotrous posted...
To be honest I think the answer is probably not. There's no story mode for two players or anything, with a single local player you have three options:

- Play against each other, with or without additional AI opponents
- Play custom 2 on 2 games against the AI
- Play 2 on 2 online

In vs. you can still do 2v1, 3 v1 or 2v1v1.
#10ImDyinSquirtlePosted 1/31/2013 1:45:44 PM
El_Dios posted...
Alright, hearing some good things.

Now from a gamer stand point, what are the flaws of the game?

The flaws of this game are likely stuff that she won't care about (eg: no story mode, "why isn't x character here, but y character is", lack of mechanics that are in other fighters, lack of modes, etc)

I know from experience because my bf is a heavy fighting game player and bought the game for himself, but I play it because it's casual easy enough for me to play without having to memorize all kinds of stuff. The accessibility was great for me because I'm not really a gamer.

But there's different preferences for everyone
---
Help me Squirtle, dont just stand there...Im freaking dying