Tips for a new Spike player?

#11ArethaiPosted 2/1/2013 1:27:53 PM
Air camp the **** out of em. No one out-air camps Spike.

The Bananarang is a lesser known level 2 hit confirm. The moment the banana hits use it. It won't work if they're too close though, so make sure they're at least 3 characters lengths away. This also works as the Bananarang RETURNS TO YOU which looks cool as hell.

Abuse the wall-less up square juggle whenever you can for easy AP bursts and general trolling purposes.

When you're not just zoning, my favorite combo is aerial over square->down square->down triangle->neutral square. Tech chase them with that same combo again or the Rc car.
I seen a lot of other Spike's use aerial over square->down square->down square->up square, but I'm not a fan of the lack of knock down and it gives like 5 less AP?

Everyone's tips are good. The more you know the less predictable you are, which is great as all of Spike's moves are actually useful. Not a common thing here.
#12EstheimasterPosted 2/1/2013 11:34:32 PM
Not surefire and perfect but this works in a pinch sometimes.

When you have Lv 1, use your down Circle (single monkey runs out ) on the ground. It will tap the enemy, pausing them briefly, and you can score with your Lv 1 then. It can be dodged out of, but it's a game changer if you don't have time to set up.
---
Official Bulbasaur of the Pokemon X boards.
#13Sketchy109Posted 2/2/2013 12:08:52 AM
i dont play online often, but i do have some ideas (of varying levels of practicality/effectiveness, but for the most part has worked for me)

upon getting a knockdown or even when being approached sometimes, i like to drop an RC Car and lay it just underneath Spike as a (pretty thin) defensive wall. it'll deflect aerial opponents so you could start laying Bananas and resume your Bananarang pestering. if they were unlucky enough to roll into you, though, you could combo or land Lv1 or Lv2. chances are, you might even scare them into rolling AWAY from you once you have he car out, so they would allow you the space to lay more traps (scoring a knockdown and rolling the car back forth around Spike tends to work best for me).

i also like to short-hop and Down-Triangle (at the peak of the hop) as an approach. your opponent may not be able to react as quickly and could be hit, leading into a Lv1 / Lv2 or combo of your choice. other times, the opponent can block, but you go for throw (if they tech down), teleport behind or away from them to bait something, roll through them for mix-up, whatever you like.

i like to purposely throw the Bananarang behind my opponent (works best in 2v2 i think. no 1v1 opponent should fall for this most of the time). the idea is to force them to act defensively when the Bananarang comes flying back and you reacting accordingly. usually, they would just block it / dodge. if you've enough space, you should have time to lay some banana peels and throw the Bananarang again. also a little bit of theory fighting here: if your opponent should roll towards you or short-hop air-dodge, you could maybe position yourself to have them land next to you for a throw or counter with Up-Square into basic air combo. and once they're out of you space, plant more Banana Peels and be annoying again.

for me, playing Spike is a lot of predicting (or tech-chasing, as it were) and frustrating your opponents to even get to you, while dodging your nonsense monkey business via RC Car, Banana Peels, and Bananarang.
#14PirateKing290Posted 2/2/2013 12:18:36 AM
On top of what every one mentioned he has a very solid zoning game.

Bananarang, short delay jump air monkey. The Air monkey has a unique U shaped trajectory that will hit them right as they tech out of the banana.

One of my favorite things to do is a well timed, fully charged Magic Punch (d.3) in a tech chase situation. It has enough range to catch people even if they roll away from you.

Use air bananas low to the ground to lock them in stun so you can either dive kick combo or even score a air d.2 hit confirm.
---
PSN: Weeeler
http://www.youtube.com/user/LPWeewer
#15JohnSlapfootPosted 2/4/2013 9:00:36 AM
My only tips are: Abuse Spike's up square and abuse the midair banana spam.

Also, Spike's forward square is sometimes good for catching charging opponents.
---
PSN: Super_Franky1337
Spike is my homeskillitbiscuit <3
#16DreamsaberPosted 2/4/2013 9:50:04 AM
Sky Flyer isn't what it used to be. When I need to stay airborne longer, I like to use the Super Hoop. Spike inexplicably stops in mid-air to charge the dash, then travels forward, which is great for extra recovery and dodging specific lingering horizontal threats (like Radec's super).
---
You opened a debate, and I'll be damned if you're not going to finish it. ~smashbrother3
#17CrabhammarPosted 2/4/2013 9:55:13 AM
"Air camp and play as gay as possible"- DireProphecy