Why Playstation All Stars failed...

#51blaze19_0XPosted 2/4/2013 3:02:16 PM
If that was your only argument, I've already agreed to this earlier in the topic. You made it sound like you were talking in general though.
#52poopnolan(Topic Creator)Posted 2/5/2013 10:03:34 PM
To omit such obvious characters from this game (Crash, Spyro, Cloud, etc) was probably what resulted in its failure. If the cover of this game featured PS1 era renders of those characters, and this game also had other means to defeat others, perhaps Sony wouldn't have abandoned Superbot. I'm not ignorant enough to think that perhaps the reason these characters weren't included was because of budget. Thats likely. But its to the point where it wasn't even worth taking a risk if you can't have some real characters to back you. I love Bioshock and Uncharted, but Big Daddy and Nathan are two characters who would never move a game from a shelf based on their likeliness alone.
---
Wow
#53blazin640Posted 2/5/2013 11:10:57 PM
PielordX posted...
blaze19_0X posted...
PielordX posted...
blaze19_0X posted...
Not to mention he missed grabbing and the c-stick. There's a seperate grab button in Smash or you can press shield and attack at the same time. The C-stick is utilized for certain ATs and can work as a Smash stick instead of having to press the button combinations manually.

Also tilting is a harder general input for casuals to learn than any general input in PSASBR. In PSASBR it's just a button+direction. In smash depending on how you press the direction, you get two different things, tilts or Smashes.

Lastly, all of this doesn't matter because the amount of buttons has nothing to do with how complex a fighting game is.

Tekken is a 4 attack button fighter, Virtua Fighter is a 3 attack button fighter, are you trying to say they aren't complex? Pielord you prove here you know nothing about fighting games.

Smash is more casual that the other fighting games, if you can manage to deny that then I don't think any of you know that much about fighting games either.

Edit: As a matter of fact, the creators say so too.

On the competitive level Smash, especially Melee is far more demanding and deeper than PSASBR. There's a reason Melee is going to be a mainstage Evo game next year and PSASBR isn't.

I could've sworn the whole argument was about casuals. No one was arguing there was more tech in a 4 month game than a 11 year one. It can't be that hard to admit that Smash is an easier game for casuals to pick up and play, thats a compliment if anything.

Thank you Pielord. Honestly everything you just said is the truth.
---
There goes my free time
#54Chzrm3Posted 2/5/2013 11:19:50 PM
So the main takeaways here are;

1. Roster
2. Super-only kills

Man.... exactly what we were all worried about when the game was announced. XD
---
If I haven't mentioned Trivio in my post, it's because she is so beautiful and precarious that I just wanted to show her how much she means to me.
#55RagnoraokPosted 2/6/2013 6:53:11 AM
Chzrm3 posted...
So the main takeaways here are;

1. Roster
2. Super-only kills

Man.... exactly what we were all worried about when the game was announced. XD

EXACTLY!!! This was obvious from the beginning. All of the possible flaws that were speculated a couple of weeks after the super-kill only announcement turned out to be true. How on earth could it have possibly worked? smh.
---
Here at gamefaqs, you are either a troll, noob, or fanboy.....choose wisely.
#56Killua554Posted 2/6/2013 7:04:12 AM
Really good article. sums up my feelings almost entirely, especially about the super system and wanting to just get in and smack people around, and not be limited by 3 killing moves. huge misstep by SuperBot on that one.
#57deathpapayaPosted 2/6/2013 8:55:05 AM
Because noone GaF about 90% of the roster.

Don't need an article to explain that.
---
Steam: Emophia PS3: Emophia Vita: Kitikat XBL: Genophia
#58Evolution_basicPosted 2/11/2013 6:07:29 PM
I want to thank Poopnolan for posting my piece on here from IGN. I was fortunate enough to have it featured here and glad many agreed with my sentiments.

There was many other reasons as to why the game didn't work, but I wanted to narrow it down to a few concise points.

Also, I took no enjoyment in writing this as I wanted the game to succeed. I'm an avid fighting game player and fan of over 20 years and love the Sony brand.

Thanks again for reading guys.
---
-------
A lover and a retired fighter. The grizzled veteran of gaming.
#59Evolution_basicPosted 2/11/2013 6:08:46 PM
Killua554 posted...
Really good article. sums up my feelings almost entirely, especially about the super system and wanting to just get in and smack people around, and not be limited by 3 killing moves. huge misstep by SuperBot on that one.

Thanks man.
---
-------
#60Evolution_basicPosted 2/11/2013 6:11:18 PM
McFordmanson posted...
Was expecting fanboy drivel, but this actually had some good points.

Let's face it, as much as I love the roster, they're missing some much-needed third party characters like Cloud and Crash Bandicoot. Problem being, this isn't so much Sony's fault as it is Square's and Activision's. Licensing.

And the game was marketed EXTREMELY poorly, as in almost not at all. No magazine ads, no commercials, barely any online presence, nothing. The only banner ads I've seen for it were when I was browsing this forum. It was rather pathetic.

The one point I'm going to have to disagree on is the mechanics. True, the super system can be confusing at first, but so was Smash Brothers: A game where you could pummel an opponent to bits and be sent flying by a random bob-omb. It was when you stopped trying to play it like the game you were used to (Street Fighter or Mortal Kombat) that you started to understand how the game worked and what you were meant to do. People need to do the same for this game.

That's because I'm not a fanboy, simply a fan of the community and everything in it. I attend EVO and have played fighting games for over two decades, that's where this article came from.

Also, this wasn't an official IGN article, I was just fortunate enough to have it promoted to the front page.
---
-------