Character balance is not a reason why the game didn't sell.

#1blaze19_0XPosted 2/4/2013 10:25:52 AM
This argument doesn't work for two major reasons.

The game is more balanced than we think. Look at recent tournament results. A Nariko got third place, a Toro fourth place. And just before this people were saying they were low tier and suck at 1 vs 1. In doubles a Jak got first place. Again not what you'd expect going by older opinions and tier lists. However this reason is minor compared to this next one:

Balance doesn't matter to your average player even if the game was super imbalanced.
Because of any given fighting game except for maybe Virtua Fighter, 90% or more of the fanbase/buyers are casual players that couldn't care less about tiers. Proof? Look at Street Fighter 2 with Akuma. That game sold over 5 million, once you count all the re-releases it's probably over 10 million. Also look at Brawl, one of the least balanced fighters ever made thanks to MK alone. It has sold over 11 million. If balance mattered these games should be selling zero copies.

The game has it's fair share of flaws, but only some of these are significant to the dominate casual market. I wouldn't say balance is one of them.
#2ImDyinSquirtlePosted 2/4/2013 10:28:29 AM
I agree.

For casuals, balance is the last thing on their mind. Such as me :X
---
Help me Squirtle, dont just stand there...Im freaking dying
#3MosgusPosted 2/4/2013 10:44:30 AM
It's just like Sagat in vanilla SF4 hardly breaking top 8 in a lot of tourneys in the first year or so (maybe more, I fell out of the SF4 scene around that time.)

Point being, the difference in balance is still there, it just so happens that the players who put up the best results and exhibit the best show of skill also happen to be able to do that without the creme of the crop characters.

That being said, I'm not arguing your points. Number 2 speaks for itself. Every FG with a hardcore following is backed by a fanbase who doesn't care who's good at what as long as SHORYUKEN etc. etc.
#4legendofskylandPosted 2/4/2013 10:50:47 AM
You want to know what would boost it's sales numbers? Bundle it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q2xzmbJHS9E#t=4m35s
#5JunahuPosted 2/4/2013 11:03:44 AM
blaze19_0X posted...
Balance doesn't matter to your average player even if the game was super imbalanced.
Because of any given fighting game except for maybe Virtua Fighter, 90% or more of the fanbase/buyers are casual players that couldn't care less about tiers. Proof? Look at Street Fighter 2 with Akuma. That game sold over 5 million, once you count all the re-releases it's probably over 10 million. Also look at Brawl, one of the least balanced fighters ever made thanks to MK alone. It has sold over 11 million. If balance mattered these games should be selling zero copies.

Higher play balance may not matter to casual players, but casual players still expect the game to be balanced from their perspective (i.e. they expect the game to have casual balance). The basic fundamentals that new players encounter shouldn't be left unbalanced, just because there are emergent strategies that make them balanced at higher levels of play.
#6blaze19_0X(Topic Creator)Posted 2/4/2013 11:07:30 AM
Junahu posted...
blaze19_0X posted...

Higher play balance may not matter to casual players, but casual players still expect the game to be balanced from their perspective (i.e. they expect the game to have casual balance). The basic fundamentals that new players encounter shouldn't be left unbalanced, just because there are emergent strategies that make them balanced at higher levels of play.

And even when that happens it doesn't matter. Your average Brawl fan probably thinks Ike is super OP. And yet he's only mid tier in actual competitive play. Regardless, the game has sold better than nearly every other Nintendo IP this gen. That's my point.

That's not to say your point about perception is wrong, it's completely true. But even if your casual fan thinks an aspect of the game is super imbalanced which might not be, that's not going to stop them from buying it or playing it if they think it's fun.
#7BkzUziPosted 2/4/2013 11:18:10 AM
It didn't sell because the roster is to small. They could have gotten more characters if they didn't limit themselves to one character per franchise. <_<
Oh and no Spyro,Crash, and Cloud.
#8GameGirl_3333Posted 2/4/2013 5:18:44 PM
BkzUzi posted...
It didn't sell because the roster is to small. They could have gotten more characters if they didn't limit themselves to one character per franchise. <_<
Oh and no Spyro,Crash, and Cloud.

This...Also, the game just isn't polished. Menus suck, ranking sucks.
---
Official Nidoqueen of the Pokemon X/Y Message Boards
#9wwinterj25Posted 2/4/2013 5:22:20 PM
How do we know this game didn't sell and hasn't met what Sony was expecting? We don't.
However bringing a game like this out in November where all the Heavy hitters are out possibly wasn't the best choice.
---
One who knows nothing can understand nothing - GamerTag: wwinterj/PSN wwinterj
#10esak1erPosted 2/4/2013 5:48:52 PM
wwinterj25 posted...
How do we know this game didn't sell and hasn't met what Sony was expecting? We don't.
However bringing a game like this out in November where all the Heavy hitters are out possibly wasn't the best choice.

Why would Sony sever ties with super bot if the game met Sony's sales expectations?
---
PSN-KASE1ER
Currently Playing,PSASBR (Radec) VF5-FS (Jeffrey) TTT2 (Paul & Miguel),