Do you regret getting this game now? Share your thoughts.

#71THE_PS1_PATRIOTPosted 2/5/2013 10:52:07 AM
I paid $ 60 day one and still play it weekly. For the game of it's type it's the best we got right now at doing the online 4 player fighter thing.

Also I want to see what Santa Monica is gonna do with it.

Could it have been better? Yes but it succeeds at what it's main goal is. Being fun. Their main focus should be more DLC characters and nerfs/buffs.
---
PLAYSTATION PATRIOT
#72blaze19_0X(Topic Creator)Posted 2/5/2013 11:00:25 AM
ArthurZero12 posted...
blaze19_0X posted...
ArthurZero12 posted...
blaze19_0X posted...
My point is most of these hit confirms and setups characters have are useless anyway because of air camping that good players utilize. You might hit them once in a blue moon but most of the time you'll get punished for fishing for them.

This game has a lot of potential tech especially for characters like Dante...but it's mainly ground based in an air based game. So it becomes irrelevant. Which is sad.

But then again even as a ground based game it would have had issues because characters lack normals, most only have specials.

air to ground combos exist in this game. air to ground combo -> super also exists in this game. Air camping will become mediocre.

But most characters don't have this. Only the Coles and Nariko for the most part. Unless you count wall combos which only work at very specific distances on certain stages.

I highly doubt air camping will cease to become a dominant strategy. The game is just built that way where it's the best option.

Spike and sir dan have the as well, i think sackboy has one too. Games change, i easily see it getting stuffed. Its obvious what everyone does now and they become predictable in their movements.

I'd like to see Spike's and Sir Dan's in action. Somehow I doubt Sir Dan's is very practical. Even Good Cole's only works if they are really low to the ground, if you catch them while high up you don't get a big punish. And Evil Cole's setup from the air is only unblockable if you have a punch charged.

But let's say for argument's sake you are right. That's what 5 characters? So against 75% of the cast you can air camp all day and win. There's no fundamental built in mechanic to counter it. That's the problem. The large stages and lack of dashes amplify the problem.
#73ArthurZero12Posted 2/5/2013 11:05:18 AM
blaze19_0X posted...
ArthurZero12 posted...
blaze19_0X posted...
ArthurZero12 posted...
blaze19_0X posted...
My point is most of these hit confirms and setups characters have are useless anyway because of air camping that good players utilize. You might hit them once in a blue moon but most of the time you'll get punished for fishing for them.

This game has a lot of potential tech especially for characters like Dante...but it's mainly ground based in an air based game. So it becomes irrelevant. Which is sad.

But then again even as a ground based game it would have had issues because characters lack normals, most only have specials.

air to ground combos exist in this game. air to ground combo -> super also exists in this game. Air camping will become mediocre.

But most characters don't have this. Only the Coles and Nariko for the most part. Unless you count wall combos which only work at very specific distances on certain stages.

I highly doubt air camping will cease to become a dominant strategy. The game is just built that way where it's the best option.

Spike and sir dan have the as well, i think sackboy has one too. Games change, i easily see it getting stuffed. Its obvious what everyone does now and they become predictable in their movements.

I'd like to see Spike's and Sir Dan's in action. Somehow I doubt Sir Dan's is very practical. Even Good Cole's only works if they are really low to the ground, if you catch them while high up you don't get a big punish. And Evil Cole's setup from the air is only unblockable if you have a punch charged.

But let's say for argument's sake you are right. That's what 5 characters? So against 75% of the cast you can air camp all day and win. There's no fundamental built in mechanic to counter it. That's the problem. The large stages and lack of dashes amplify the problem.

Sir dan's is impractical i was just saying its there. I can't record right now but a little later I can when i'm back on the playstation.

E.cole always have a punch charged, that is viable. You can sit back and watch them air camp. they'll have to come to you. You can force short jumps to make those confirms happen.
#74blaze19_0X(Topic Creator)Posted 2/5/2013 11:10:07 AM(edited)
Short hops are actually kind of balanced in the game. But full hops are way too safe for what they are. And yes, I'd agree Evil Cole's at least is viable. That's why one of the reasons he's so good. But most characters have no solid answer to air camping.
#75ImDyinSquirtlePosted 2/5/2013 11:09:23 AM
Well my bf bought the game, not me lol.

I've noticed that he hasn't been playing it as much as he used to though. His friends have all dropped it completely, which is why I guess he got discouraged and hasn't been on too much.

I play it more than him currently, which is quite strange because I'm not a gamer and never play games, but I liked Smash so I gave this a shot.

It's a bit sad too, because he was hyped for this game prior to release beyond belief. He hadn't been this excited for a game since, well, Brawl.
---
Help me Squirtle, dont just stand there...Im freaking dying
#76Chzrm3Posted 2/5/2013 11:12:48 AM
ArthurZero12 posted...
All of the timers and 1v1 options could have been design choices. You don't know, i don't know, we have no paperwork on it.

Yeah, that's the problem - they were design choices. That's why a sequel and a bigger budget wouldn't fix anything.

I'd say "Superbot could listen to fan feedback", but they had an enormous period of open beta and didn't listen to anything that anybody said. The main piece of feedback from that beta was "please give us an option besides timed in ranked, and please let us do 1 v 1 in ranked." Neither of those things happened.

So Superbot's proven they're incapable of listening to the fans even on simple, inexpensive things like adding a 1 v 1 mode. It's only fair that Sony ended their agreement with them and basically took PSASBR away. =(
---
If I haven't mentioned Trivio in my post, it's because she is so beautiful and precarious that I just wanted to show her how much she means to me.
#77Geohound_RyudoPosted 2/5/2013 11:15:13 AM
Not one bit.
---
The answer to your question: 42
#78ArthurZero12Posted 2/5/2013 11:16:48 AM
Chzrm3 posted...
ArthurZero12 posted...
All of the timers and 1v1 options could have been design choices. You don't know, i don't know, we have no paperwork on it.

Yeah, that's the problem - they were design choices. That's why a sequel and a bigger budget wouldn't fix anything.

I'd say "Superbot could listen to fan feedback", but they had an enormous period of open beta and didn't listen to anything that anybody said. The main piece of feedback from that beta was "please give us an option besides timed in ranked, and please let us do 1 v 1 in ranked." Neither of those things happened.

So Superbot's proven they're incapable of listening to the fans even on simple, inexpensive things like adding a 1 v 1 mode. It's only fair that Sony ended their agreement with them and basically took PSASBR away. =(

A new studio working on it could change the designs. Most of the time there are tiny tweaks to game modes. I don't know why you guys want 1v1 ranked anyways, it excels in 2v2.
#79Chzrm3Posted 2/5/2013 11:22:01 AM
ArthurZero12 posted...
Chzrm3 posted...
ArthurZero12 posted...

A new studio working on it could change the designs. Most of the time there are tiny tweaks to game modes. I don't know why you guys want 1v1 ranked anyways, it excels in 2v2.

Ya, and I'd certainly hope that if a new studio ever inherits this, they'd go back to the drawing board, thoroughly examine why this game failed, and make the necessary improvements.

I agree with you that 1 v 1 in this game isn't very satisfying, but that's symptomatic of the problems with the game. If you're making a fighting game, and 1 v 1ing in the game is so stale that you don't even add it as a ranked option... you need to go back and redesign some things so that 1 v 1 works.
---
If I haven't mentioned Trivio in my post, it's because she is so beautiful and precarious that I just wanted to show her how much she means to me.
#80ArthurZero12Posted 2/5/2013 11:23:25 AM
Chzrm3 posted...
ArthurZero12 posted...
Chzrm3 posted...
ArthurZero12 posted...

Ya, and I'd certainly hope that if a new studio ever inherits this, they'd go back to the drawing board, thoroughly examine why this game failed, and make the necessary improvements.

I agree with you that 1 v 1 in this game isn't very satisfying, but that's symptomatic of the problems with the game. If you're making a fighting game, and 1 v 1ing in the game is so stale that you don't even add it as a ranked option... you need to go back and redesign some things so that 1 v 1 works.

all we can do is wait and see.