there is no doubt the game would have sold better

#11blaze19_0XPosted 2/5/2013 10:27:38 AM
dadkwashere posted...
blaze19_0X posted...
dadkwashere posted...
Chzrm3 posted...
Yeah, this game honestly needed another 6 months - 1 year to be market-ready. More characters and stages are the big, glaring things, but you're right on about the lack of options, even in something simple like the 1 v 1 mode.

For shame, Superboy.

I mean in a party brawler you kind of HAVE to mix it up in single player. The reason why most people thought arcade was bland was for the lack of any change in its formula. This would have been forgiven if it was a traditional, two dimensional, fighting game.
For shame, superboy indeed. I still feel bad for them in their current state of affairs but if you want to, stay in the video game market you need to stay competitive.

Actually even traditional fighting game arcade modes tend to be better. They never force you into time out only matches. It's always health+time so how long it takes is up to you.

Also they have things like secret bosses and minigames.

Hmm Im familiar with the minibosses and minigames, but can you explain how traditional ones get better, please? I only noticed a change in difficulty but you might have noticed something else, lol.

They don't force you into timed only matches. The first 4 matches in PSASBR Arcade are timed. That means no matter how well you do they are always going to take 12 minutes to finish (3 minutes each).

Imagine if traditional fighters forced you into timed only matches...you'd have to keep hitting your opponent until time ran out, no way to finish it faster. It would get tedious quickly.

And you bring up another good point. The difficulty and challenge is better especially with more difficulty settings. Though really, all CPUs tend to be pretty exploitable once you figure them out. They never adapt like human players.
#12dadkwashere(Topic Creator)Posted 2/5/2013 10:27:41 AM
pixel378 posted...
It could have also heavily benefitted from being truthful in a alpha/beta way further from release and saying straight up "This is what we plan on adding, bugs we know about etc, what needs to be in this game, more than just characters".

People would have reacted so strongly it would have been in development to this day lol. But instead they pretty much lied and strung us along with the "Not the finished product" stuff so we thought all of it would be added and it was "Just a beta"

Thats true. A beta is still a prototype, where they are trying to improve the game after testing. At the very least a game such as this shouldnt have many bugs, but granted they were a, small team to begin with.
---
Raiden: NRAGH why is I no loved?
Big Boss: You need to find a more political solution...tasty.
#13Chzrm3Posted 2/5/2013 10:29:50 AM
pixel378 posted...
It could have also heavily benefitted from being truthful in a alpha/beta way further from release and saying straight up "This is what we plan on adding, bugs we know about etc, what needs to be in this game, more than just characters".

People would have reacted so strongly it would have been in development to this day lol. But instead they pretty much lied and strung us along with the "Not the finished product" stuff so we thought all of it would be added and it was "Just a beta"

That's true. That beta leak probably did hurt them a bit, but largely because they were so shifty about it. After the beta leak, they kept trying to get us to believe they had more characters on the way. It didn't help that PG was bleating on and on about how he knew they had Cloud and Crash coming, either, but I remember an interview where Seth Killian straight up said "yeah, we've got another amazing PS1 character waiting for you, it's really exciting!" after all 20 had been officially announced.

If he was talking about Polygon Man, then he was on drugs, I'm sorry. XD

And of course the infamous "Stay tuned" from Omar.

Sometimes that secrecy is fine. Smash was very secretive, and Sakurai likes to trickle out info about the game slowly... but that works, because he also knows what he's doing. Superbot really had no clue, so the best way for them to handle this would've been being open and honest with us right from the outset.

Because yeah, you're right. The fan reaction probably would've delayed the game extensively, but honestly, that's what it needed. If they had cooked this thing for another 6 months, and done it intelligently, then they might not have collapsed the way they're doing. =/
---
If I haven't mentioned Trivio in my post, it's because she is so beautiful and precarious that I just wanted to show her how much she means to me.
#14dadkwashere(Topic Creator)Posted 2/5/2013 10:36:48 AM(edited)
blaze19_0X posted...
dadkwashere posted...
blaze19_0X posted...
dadkwashere posted...
Chzrm3 posted...
Yeah, this game honestly needed another 6 months - 1 year to be market-ready. More characters and stages are the big, glaring things, but you're right on about the lack of options, even in something simple like the 1 v 1 mode.

For shame, Superboy.

I mean in a party brawler you kind of HAVE to mix it up in single player. The reason why most people thought arcade was bland was for the lack of any change in its formula. This would have been forgiven if it was a traditional, two dimensional, fighting game.
For shame, superboy indeed. I still feel bad for them in their current state of affairs but if you want to, stay in the video game market you need to stay competitive.

Actually even traditional fighting game arcade modes tend to be better. They never force you into time out only matches. It's always health+time so how long it takes is up to you.

Also they have things like secret bosses and minigames.

Hmm Im familiar with the minibosses and minigames, but can you explain how traditional ones get better, please? I only noticed a change in difficulty but you might have noticed something else, lol.

They don't force you into timed only matches. The first 4 matches in PSASBR Arcade are timed. That means no matter how well you do they are always going to take 12 minutes to finish (3 minutes each).

Imagine if traditional fighters forced you into timed only matches...you'd have to keep hitting your opponent until time ran out, no way to finish it faster. It would get tedious quickly.

And you bring up another good point. The difficulty and challenge is better especially with more difficulty settings. Though really, all CPUs tend to be pretty exploitable once you figure them out. They never adapt like human players.

This, is also true, which is why I, wasnt bugged to much about it. It was really just the lsck of change in arcade. The first match always takes place in the dojo, followed by a 3 chsrscter fight, a 4 character fight, then chsnges to a kill limit.
Your absolutely right about timed matches. They do get tedious and people will actuslly rely on them sometimes to win (my personal, strstegy against seth in SSF4, lol). My main concern was really just wishing they added a form of randomness to keep my interest.
Giant chsracters and metal, chsracters? GENIUZ!
---
#15dadkwashere(Topic Creator)Posted 2/5/2013 10:48:17 AM
Wow, this, board is up on the faqs, list. All this controversy about the game has, people talking.
---
#16Vanitas_RemnantPosted 2/5/2013 10:50:45 AM
dadkwashere posted...
Wow, this, board is up on the faqs, list. All this controversy about the game has, people talking.

What if Sony cutting ties with Superbot was just a publicity stunt to raise awareness for the game?! :O
---
I feel a draft on my butt
#17dadkwashere(Topic Creator)Posted 2/5/2013 10:55:09 AM
Vanitas_Remnant posted...
dadkwashere posted...

What if Sony cutting ties with Superbot was just a publicity stunt to raise awareness for the game?! :O

OMG controversy!
The patriots are real!
Demons are really controlling the world!
The gods have forsaken us!
Captsin qwark retired!
Fat princess is at war with Russia!
Sir Dan is dead!
Spike plans to tuen this planet into a planet of the apes!
---
#18xXxSuQingXinxXxPosted 2/5/2013 10:56:02 AM
I regret ever paying $60 for this game, in retrospect.
---
PSN: Su-Qing-Xin
I like to play video games.
#19dadkwashere(Topic Creator)Posted 2/5/2013 11:00:37 AM
xXxSuQingXinxXx posted...
I regret ever paying $60 for this game, in retrospect.

No joke. 60 dollars does seem hefty.
---
#20papermarkisPosted 2/5/2013 11:14:44 AM
I think the game would've sold better if it was any good