Why this was poorly received. (Supers)

#21SilentProtag(Topic Creator)Posted 2/5/2013 4:10:56 PM
jump__0 posted...
Uhhh no TC..
The super system was a good concept but it needed more thought put into it. they should have just expanded it to include air supers as well as a greater balance among supers.
It's works okay but could have been much better.
It's by no means bad and could have made the game stand out more.

Chzrm3 posted...
Brings me back to something we talked about a loooot back in the day - there should've probably been an option for, at least, a traditional health mode. That way, people who weren't sold on the supers system would have something else to buy the game for.

I can't imagine health being a good idea in anything other than 1v1 or wide stages but if they had time (which i doubt after looking at their release day product) I think they could have made it decent.

Not really. We're talking about characters with tons of good moves, and their ultimate worth is determined by a couple of moves. Look at Nariko, and compare her whole moveset to her supers. It's frustrating to be that restricted, fighting gamers don't like that. Nobody likes to be restricted that way.

I'm not saying the supers system is unplayable or anything, but it's definitely not a good concept. It's just not fun compared to a ring out or health system.
#22Chzrm3Posted 2/5/2013 4:10:58 PM
SilentProtag posted...
Yeah it's my opinion (and well, the majority of the gaming community's opinion) that the super system isn't so great

I'm not trying to rub it off on anyone, I just think now with SuperBot left jobless, DLC cancelled, and no chance of a sequel, it would be a good time to discuss what went wrong

This is a great point. Unless we're going to say that there's no demand for a Sony Smash (which I think we all know isn't true), it's really important to study and analyze why Superbot failed so colossally. =(
---
If I haven't mentioned Trivio in my post, it's because she is so beautiful and precarious that I just wanted to show her how much she means to me.
#23judgementaeonPosted 2/5/2013 4:12:25 PM
SilentProtag posted...
jump__0 posted...
Uhhh no TC..
The super system was a good concept but it needed more thought put into it. they should have just expanded it to include air supers as well as a greater balance among supers.
It's works okay but could have been much better.
It's by no means bad and could have made the game stand out more.

Chzrm3 posted...
Brings me back to something we talked about a loooot back in the day - there should've probably been an option for, at least, a traditional health mode. That way, people who weren't sold on the supers system would have something else to buy the game for.

I can't imagine health being a good idea in anything other than 1v1 or wide stages but if they had time (which i doubt after looking at their release day product) I think they could have made it decent.

Not really. We're talking about characters with tons of good moves, and their ultimate worth is determined by a couple of moves. Look at Nariko, and compare her whole moveset to her supers. It's frustrating to be that restricted, fighting gamers don't like that. Nobody likes to be restricted that way.

I'm not saying the supers system is unplayable or anything, but it's definitely not a good concept. It's just not fun compared to a ring out or health system.

I find Smash Bros. Ring out system to be VERY annoying to be honest >_<
---
PSASBR mains: Jak, Cole, Sackboy, Radec
Got Anarchy Reigns, it's kind of fun actually :D
#24SilentProtag(Topic Creator)Posted 2/5/2013 4:16:50 PM
I get it. you personally (somehow) prefer PSA to Super Smash Bros.

but I'm discussing why this game failed so horribly, why no one liked the beta, and why there will never be a sequel.

I think millions and millions of gamers would disagree about supers being better than Smash's system though.
#25ZanooooPosted 2/5/2013 4:18:33 PM
The super system is just too limited and it gets boring kill characters the same 1 to 2 ways over and over and over again. It's even worse if you're playing a character that doesn't have a lv1 hit confirm, because you gotta work to your level 2 and maybe even 3, while characters like the coles, sly, raiden,etc only have to use their level 1's.

They should of just done smashes ring out system with percentages, but have it so you can still build super meter and have supers do a certain amount of percentage and knockback(think like final smashes, but different levels of them and you don't have to hunt down that stupid smash ball).

If they just copied smash, but added to it everyone would of been happy and I'm damn sure more of the casual crowd might of bought the game.
---
Gamertag: WhereIsMegaman
PSN: WhereIsProtoman
#26judgementaeonPosted 2/5/2013 4:18:56 PM
SilentProtag posted...
I get it. you personally (somehow) prefer PSA to Super Smash Bros.

but I'm discussing why this game failed so horribly, why no one liked the beta, and why there will never be a sequel.

I think millions and millions of gamers would disagree about supers being better than Smash's system though.

Again, it's possible that there could be a sequel, but mostly the only grudge I hold on Smash is there are so much spammers on there (somehow more than on here), there are people who do NOTHING online >_< and that whenever someone online actually fights normally, I get EVERY kill stolen from me >_<
---
#27TerraponPosted 2/5/2013 4:19:18 PM
judgementaeon posted...
I like supers more.

me2. you actually have to work to win.
---
xENDERSgotGAMEx (PSN)
#28judgementaeonPosted 2/5/2013 4:19:59 PM
Terrapon posted...
judgementaeon posted...
I like supers more.

Yep ^_^
---
#29SilentProtag(Topic Creator)Posted 2/5/2013 4:22:57 PM
Terrapon posted...
judgementaeon posted...
I like supers more.

How does it take more work than any other fighting game? in my opinion it's much easier, and you're not punished as much for playing badly (competitive fighting gamer here)
#30Chzrm3Posted 2/5/2013 4:26:08 PM
SilentProtag posted...

That's a good point, and unfortunately I think it's a reflection of Superbot's poor job of balancing this game.

As an example, Spike is one of my favorite characters, and I really tried to get great as him. I never had a problem building meter quickly or zoning people out with his bananas/boomerang, his overall kit was pretty strong.

But when it came time to get kills? Ugh, what a nightmare. All of his supers = 1 kill in a 1 v 1, and the things you had to do to get a kill with his level 1 super were just obnoxious. Even his level 2 wasn't a freebie, as many of them are. You still had to set that up, and people could just avoid you, kite you and beat on you the entire time.

I think a super system could work theoretically, but Superbot's lack of flair for balance made it really messed up.

That said, a lack of balance didn't condemn the game. I think a lot of people were waiting to see if this game would have other modes.

As someone else mentioned, maybe a health mode wouldn't have been great. Honestly, that's fine if it's not great - just give us the option. Maybe a knockout mode wouldn't have really worked with this type of game, but so what? Give us the option.

These are all relatively simple things to code. I'm by no means an expert programmer, but I'm confident that if you sat me down with PSASBR's code, then by the end of the week I could've made at least a rudimentary version of a health system. Just as an option! Just as a choice. It doesn't have to become the cornerstone of the game, but having it there puts people at ease, and lets them know there's something else besides supers that they can play around with.

And if I could do that in a week, it'd surely only take Superbot a month tops. (lololol)
---
If I haven't mentioned Trivio in my post, it's because she is so beautiful and precarious that I just wanted to show her how much she means to me.