Why was this game even released in the first place?

#31xXxSuQingXinxXx(Topic Creator)Posted 2/5/2013 5:44:45 PM
RoboDaleGribble posted...
xXxSuQingXinxXx posted...
KillDozer123 posted...
So I take it you must hate Brawl for not including Megaman, right?

So I'm guessing Kratos, Sweet Tooth, Jak, Ratchet, Sly, Sackboy, Nathan Drake and Cole are actually not made by Sony, right?

Makes perfect sense to me, right? XD

The value of Nintendo's actual first party characters trumps the inclusion of Megaman. Mario, Link, Pikachu, Samus, Kirby, and Donkey Kong already have tremendous brand power when compared to Megaman. I do think however, that Megaman is LONG overdue in Smash :(

I never said the characters you listed weren't developed by Sony, but they aren't as well branded with Sony as much as the characters who were excluded. The whole reason of the roster being lackluster according to the majority of people is because of this. Just look at the "To Michael" commercial. So many characters that hold tremendous branding value for Sony... They're combined exclusion in this game is enough to deter a tremendous amount of consumers, in my opinion.

>Imlying Wander is more well branded with Sony than Kratos.

Not MORE, just AS well branded.

Shadow of the Colossus is unarguably one of the greatest video games released EVER. I think that holds a lot of branding power for the Playstation 2. if you ask me...
---
PSN: Su-Qing-Xin
I like to play video games.
#32xXxSuQingXinxXx(Topic Creator)Posted 2/5/2013 5:46:22 PM
KillDozer123 posted...

I didn't make the analogy on the grounds that Nintendo owned the franchises. I made the analogy based on those particular characters' branding power that they wielded for Nintendo's consoles. Those characters hold the same branding power as Cloud, Crash, Spyro, or Lara Croft would for Sony's consoles. They don't necessarily have to be OWNED by Sony to be associated with Playstation.

I hope I clarified that.

Then would you have a problem if it had been called "Sony All-Stars" instead?

Not. At. All.

Though there would be a problem with Heihachi, Dante, Raiden, and Big Daddy being included.

Also, the exclusion of VAIO Laptop and Sony Ericsson Smartphone would definitely cause an uproar.
---
#33KillDozer123Posted 2/5/2013 5:47:29 PM
KillDozer123 posted...

Not. At. All.

Though there would be a problem with Heihachi, Dante, Raiden, and Big Daddy being included.

Also, the exclusion of VAIO Laptop and Sony Ericsson Smartphone would definitely cause an uproar.

I knew it...it'd have been better without the third-party characters. ^^;
---
They see me Kahn'in'! They Hatin'!
#34xXxSuQingXinxXx(Topic Creator)Posted 2/5/2013 5:49:35 PM
KillDozer123 posted...
KillDozer123 posted...

Not. At. All.

I knew it...it'd have been better without the third-party characters. ^^;

That, combined with a different title that didn't include "Playstation" in the title :)

I don't mean to personally attack any devs at Superbot, but... Where did they go to school for game development or business and marketing at...?
---
#35PokemonYoutubePosted 2/5/2013 5:49:41 PM
KillDozer123 posted...

I didn't make the analogy on the grounds that Nintendo owned the franchises. I made the analogy based on those particular characters' branding power that they wielded for Nintendo's consoles. Those characters hold the same branding power as Cloud, Crash, Spyro, or Lara Croft would for Sony's consoles. They don't necessarily have to be OWNED by Sony to be associated with Playstation.

I hope I clarified that.

Not. At. All.

Heihachi would still deserve to be in, IMO. Big Daddy certainly doesn't. Neither do Raiden and New Dante. Old Dante maybe.
---
www.youtube.com/GeneralSecura
#36PrismsbladePosted 2/5/2013 5:55:30 PM
I honestly believed that the "Title Fight" project should definitely have been dropped immediately as soon as SuperBot was not able to get their hands on a Final Fantasy rep, Lara Croft, Crash, Spyro, Snake, or Wander (among a plethora of others, no doubt).

With the exception of FF, and snake, no other characters could have boosted appeal for this game, most of them have had no relevance since the PS1 era well over a decade ago.

Not sure were lara croft stands at the moment......
---
Its commonly known on Gamefaqs that if anything is more evident than proven facts, its personal opinions.
#37xXxSuQingXinxXx(Topic Creator)Posted 2/5/2013 6:00:21 PM
Prismsblade posted...
I honestly believed that the "Title Fight" project should definitely have been dropped immediately as soon as SuperBot was not able to get their hands on a Final Fantasy rep, Lara Croft, Crash, Spyro, Snake, or Wander (among a plethora of others, no doubt).

With the exception of FF, and snake, no other characters could have boosted appeal for this game, most of them have had no relevance since the PS1 era well over a decade ago.

I disagree.

The amount of outrage that occurred because of Crash's exclusion in this game was tremendous... I remember it well. The game undoubtedly saw many, many, many missed sales because of this. I even remember purchasing the game at Gamestop, just to hear the cashier go "I would have reserved a copy for myself, but Crash isn't in it!". Spyro's exclusion also stirred similar rage.

I DO understand your skepticism concerning, Wander, however.
---
#38PokemonYoutubePosted 2/5/2013 6:08:36 PM
Prismsblade posted...

I disagree.

The amount of outrage that occurred because of Crash's exclusion in this game was tremendous... I remember it well. The game undoubtedly saw many, many, many missed sales because of this. I even remember purchasing the game at Gamestop, just to hear the cashier go "I would have reserved a copy for myself, but Crash isn't in it!". Spyro's exclusion also stirred similar rage.

All that Crash and Spyro stuff is just nostalgia. They have both consistently sucked ever since Naughty Dog and Insomniac stopped making the games. They aren't nearly as big a deal as many people think they are.
---
www.youtube.com/GeneralSecura
#39xXxSuQingXinxXx(Topic Creator)Posted 2/5/2013 6:21:40 PM
PokemonYoutube posted...
Prismsblade posted...

I disagree.

All that Crash and Spyro stuff is just nostalgia. They have both consistently sucked ever since Naughty Dog and Insomniac stopped making the games. They aren't nearly as big a deal as many people think they are.

Yes, it is. It definitely IS nostalgia. I agree. THAT is why the outrage occurred, and THAT is partially the reason as to why the game sold so poorly. Many people underestimate the power of nostalgia.

Denouncing it as "just nostalgia" has a TON of weight behind it. Nostalgia is definitely a selling point for consumers, and that was very apparent with the release of this game.
---
#40FuutonElementalPosted 2/5/2013 6:31:55 PM
This game should not have been released. Aside from a pitiful roster that makes this game look like nothing more than a shameless advertisement, the questionable gameplay mechanics and lackluster content makes this game even worse. Sony really dropped the ball with this one, and it sucks. Next time they decide to do something like this, let's hope they get a more competent developer and go the extra length to actually add characters people care about and who are actually worthy of being considered a 'Playstation All-Star'.
---
PSN: SignOfKai
Ibuki + 2nd Alternate = HNNNNNG