Tips for getting in or approaching as Dante?

#1KrKABUT0Posted 2/6/2013 5:05:37 AM
I really like his playstyle but I have a lot of trouble getting the first hit to start a combo. As for combos themselves I have no issue since empty cancels are pretty easy.
---
Walking the path of heaven, the man who will rule everything.
#2Retroxgamer0Posted 2/6/2013 5:11:10 AM(edited)
his air dash, his counter, and his air down square (which forces a knockdown) are good ways to stay in close. after his square combo, you can switch directions and do a down square. the second hit of forward square hits behind you. you can change direction after the first square. you have projectiles in the air with down circle.
#3KrKABUT0(Topic Creator)Posted 2/6/2013 5:14:41 AM
Retroxgamer0 posted...
his air dash, his counter, and his air down square (which forces a knockdown) are good ways to stay in close. after his square combo, you can switch directions and do a down square. the second hit of forward square hits behind you. you can change direction after the first square. you have projectiles in the air with down circle.

What do you mean he can switch directions after a square combo? Can he cancel his square chain at any time when it's blocked? That's one of my biggest issues with playing him.
---
#4Retroxgamer0Posted 2/6/2013 5:25:50 AM
the air dash is the answer to your question of getting in. other than that, you should cancel into his triangle and use counter if you have problems with people from behind, but dante is more of a 1v1 character, so youll want to isolate players from the pack and pick them off to the side if you can.
#5Retroxgamer0Posted 2/6/2013 5:26:25 AM
try up triangle>forward circle>forward square, and starting your square combos that way.
#6KrKABUT0(Topic Creator)Posted 2/6/2013 5:52:05 AM
What about for blocked square hits? That's one of my biggest issues too. Is there some way to cancel it into something else so that I don't get punished?
---
#7TUSMEnterprisesPosted 2/6/2013 9:40:01 AM
No, your safest option is to finish with down square as it has the least amount of cooldown.
---
PSN: TUSMBOX - Alt: SplookenNuggets
Official Dodge Viper of the GT5 Boards.
#8KindertotenwaldPosted 2/6/2013 10:14:14 AM
I would honestly stay on the ground and block, and keep a look out for grabs and then punish with a combo as all of Dantes high AP combos start with him on the floor.
---
PSASBR: Big Daddy
PSN: Omnisignificance
#9PrismsbladePosted 2/6/2013 10:46:57 AM
Kindertotenwald posted...
I would honestly stay on the ground and block, and keep a look out for grabs and then punish with a combo as all of Dantes high AP combos start with him on the floor.

Lol faced a good dante with my ratchet who did just that, and I simple kept my distance, and continued zoning......which I dont mind doing forever, I also made sure when I jumped in on him to have my 2nd jump ready to leap away, if he knocked me down I would jump, or block on wake up, and if he grabbed me then meh. Seriously Dante gets zoned for free.
---
Its commonly known on Gamefaqs that if anything is more evident than proven facts, its personal opinions.
#10blaze19_0XPosted 2/6/2013 10:48:38 AM
Dante is an amazing ground based character.........in an air based game.

So yeah, do the math.