Countering Evil Coles tech chasing game

#1DHG_SweepPosted 2/6/2013 1:32:36 PM(edited)
Everyone is aware of evil coles infamous tech chase starting with a hard knockdown and oil spike. I'm hoping to shed a little light on another option for those on the receiving end to force evil Cole to mix it up a bit and increase your chances on holding onto that last stock.

Rolling to either side doesn't work because of the giga punch. Jumping on wake-up gets you covered in oil. Blocking in most cases gets you thrown into a lvl 1. An experienced evil Cole will read you and splatter you against the wall.

You have another option of grabbing on wake-up. Grabbing on wake up cancels the oil spike mid animation as long as it connects. However it is not a entirely safe option because the obvious answer for evil cole is to short hop because if you whiff the grab you'll still be hit by the oil spike and be reemed through the nearest surface.

Now that evil Cole has to worry about grabs and needs to incorporate jumping into his tech chase lets review your options. You still can't roll to either side because he can still force you into a crumble state from the air. Jumping from wake up is still ineffective and as we stated earliera whiffed grab leads to a lvl 1. But during his bad read and evil Cole short hops, blocking is your way out.

Because evil Cole is in the air, it provides the split second you need to block and cancel his oil. You still can't roll in fear of the giga punch so you have to jump immediately and air dodge to avoid his giga/raw lvl1. Of course he can still delay his lvl 1 a bit but every step he has to read is another chance to escape.

Now I haven't had the chance to test this extensively so it may be due to latency why the grab even works but I've incorporated this into my game and online matches with a fair amount of success. I also haven't ran into a situation/tested if Cole just giga punches as you try to grab on wake up either but one of the few things to counter a giga punch in mid animation is a well timed grab and in theory if he giga punches a frame or so before you grab then you should still be in the oil spike animation meaning youre in the air and the giga punch will knock you to safety. In theory.

This by no means the solution to evil coles insanely good tech chasing game but it provides another option to keep evil Cole on his toes.

TL;DR: Grabbing on wake up cancels the oil spike animation and gives breathing room to block if evil Cole short hops off a bad read.

Hope this helps your game!

I also wouldnt mind resting this more thuroughly later with someone.
---
Anderson Silva > Fedor. People who agree: 1
#2blaze19_0XPosted 2/6/2013 1:01:15 PM(edited)
I think know what's going on here. Grabs are probably the fastest moves in this game since everything else is so slow.

So basically if you grab on wakeup the grab is coming out faster than the oil spike hits you. And once you get the grab it somehow cancels the affect of the oil spike but if you miss it obviously doesn't.

.........Or it could be just due to online glitches and desyncs. This is why training mode needs move record, to test specific stuff like this.

Either way, nice find.
#3KindertotenwaldPosted 2/6/2013 1:07:19 PM
All he has to do is stay just outside of grab range and then do whatever he wants unless I am missing something?
---
PSASBR: Big Daddy
PSN: Omnisignificance
#4PrismsbladePosted 2/6/2013 1:07:38 PM
Or he could simply stand just outside range of your grab, I usually block, then jump......works for me.
---
Its commonly known on Gamefaqs that if anything is more evident than proven facts, its personal opinions.
#5blaze19_0XPosted 2/6/2013 1:10:04 PM(edited)
Prismsblade posted...
Or he could simply stand just outside range of your grab, I usually block, then jump......works for me.

No he can't because the reason this setup is unblockable is because if you block the spike he can grab you into level 1. So it covers all options. If he stands outside the range, he won't be able to grab in time if you block it.

That works for you because those players aren't doing the setup correctly where it is unblockable (unless this new grab method works).
#6PrismsbladePosted 2/6/2013 1:13:38 PM
blaze19_0X posted...
Prismsblade posted...

No he can't because the reason this setup is unblockable is because if you block the spike he can grab you into level 1. So it covers all options. If he stands outside the range, he won't be able to grab in time if you block it.

That works for you because those players aren't doing the setup correctly where it is unblockable (unless this new grab method works).

You cant grab during blockstun.....I think, do maybe it is a consistent escape.
---
Its commonly known on Gamefaqs that if anything is more evident than proven facts, its personal opinions.
#7DHG_Sweep(Topic Creator)Posted 2/6/2013 1:14:24 PM
Prismsblade posted...

If he stands outside the grab then rolling to the opposite side puts me out of range of the giga.

I felt this was obvious but thank you for noting it. Ill be sure to include that in the explanation next time. :)
---
#8blaze19_0XPosted 2/6/2013 1:15:49 PM
Prismsblade posted...
blaze19_0X posted...
Prismsblade posted...

You did not read his post entirely.

The point of this new tech is you don't have to block. Your grab on wakeup is somehow cancelling the Oil Spike.
#9DHG_Sweep(Topic Creator)Posted 2/6/2013 1:16:42 PM
blaze19_0X posted...
I think know what's going on here. Grabs are probably the fastest moves in this game since everything else is so slow.

So basically if you grab on wakeup the grab is coming out faster than the oil spike hits you. And once you get the grab it somehow cancels the affect of the oil spike but if you miss it obviously doesn't.

.........Or it could be just due to online glitches and desyncs. This is why training mode needs move record, to test specific stuff like this.

Either way, nice find.

Exactly.

And though it may be in bad practice to rely on it if there is latency involved, it still provides another option in online matches for those that dont often play off-line.
---
#10DHG_Sweep(Topic Creator)Posted 2/6/2013 1:17:44 PM
Prismsblade posted...
blaze19_0X posted...
Prismsblade posted...

Yes you can. I've done it countless number of times. Its why evil coles tech chasing game is considered one of the best!
---