Superbot should never have existed

#1TheEpicSandwichPosted 2/6/2013 8:31:58 PM(edited)
First off, not trying to hate on SuperBot. At all. I have no personal beef with them what so ever.

What I do think though, is Sony should have let Naughty Dog develop it like they were going to in the first place, instead of creating some rookie studio to do it.

As I said before, not hating on SuperBot but seriously..

- The game lacks lots of polish. I love the game to death, but it really does. I don't even have to name other games such as Smash Bros to prove this. All other games aside, just take a look at any other (Developer-owned) Sony exclusive. God of War and Uncharted quickly come to mind. Even LittleBigPlanet and Infamous are great. In my opinion, these games put the standard quality of Sony exclusives quite high, a standard this game clearly did not meet (in terms of polish).

- SuperBot's patches tend to hurt the game more than they help it. Yes, I know, tons of people claim nothing happened and everything is fine and whatever. But there is still a vocal group, minority or not, that complains about every single patch, and that still matters. I won't go in depth, but one bug that comes to mind is the one that switches characters after character selection. Like seriously what is that? Even if the bugs are "little" such as not properly displaying rank, they're still bugs. And bugs like that (or at least that many) should not be in a Sony exclusive game.

- SuperBot, in my opinion, takes a WAY long time to do.. anything really. People can debate it all they want if a "couple of weeks" to a month is long or not, but even so the fact that other "AAA" games have patches that fix the bugs quickly makes this one slow in comparison. The DLC that we knew about in the beginning even took 4 months to come out (still not out yet). And yes, I know it's free, and I'm not complaining. It's not even the length of time it took, it's really how long it took for SuperBot to even give us a date (especially when we all thought early January). With PS All-Stars being one of the most talked about games now a days, you think they would be quick to give us whatever new good info and solid release dates they can, but I guess not.

- Although I personally do not like the menus, character selection, items, and other things, I'm not going to go into that because I understand it's opinionated. Just saying, the quality *in my opinion* was also not met at these points either.

I can almost guarantee none of these, minus maybe the character selection, would have been problems with Naughty Dog as developer. Why? Just look at Uncharted. Look at Jak & Daxter. Look at Crash Bandicoot. Has Naughty Dog EVER made a "bad" game? I know that's opinion, but even if you didn't "like" their games, just look at their sales and review scores. The way they've been supporting Uncharted 2 and 3's multiplayer is great too, on par with other high profile multiplayer games. Every single one of their games has amazing quality, especially the Uncharted series. Naughty Dog is definitely one of the best developers in the industry, and there's no doubt in my mind they would definitely not have let this game be as it is, had they been able to make it.

At least the game will be handled by Santa Monica from now on, a studio I know I can trust due to how good they've done with the God of War series.

Tl;dr: Naughty Dog would have made a better game than SuperBot did because they are cool.
#2I_Wanna_CookiePosted 2/6/2013 8:28:49 PM
u
---
I'm handsome.
#3RainbowsaurusPosted 2/6/2013 8:33:38 PM
You know what else should have never existed?
MY MOOOOOOM!!
---
PSN: Rain_Bow_saurus
#4bartz90Posted 2/6/2013 8:38:22 PM
I'm pretty sure Naughty Dog wanted to work on their own stuff. With a record like theirs, who would say no to them.
---
-
#5TheEpicSandwich(Topic Creator)Posted 2/6/2013 8:39:23 PM
bartz90 posted...
I'm pretty sure Naughty Dog wanted to work on their own stuff. With a record like theirs, who would say no to them.

They did, and that's why SuperBot was made. But yeah I agree, I'm just saying Naughty Dog definitely would've done a better job. Or even Santa Monica in the first place :/
#6Chzrm3Posted 2/6/2013 10:31:06 PM
TheEpicSandwich posted...
bartz90 posted...

They did, and that's why SuperBot was made. But yeah I agree, I'm just saying Naughty Dog definitely would've done a better job. Or even Santa Monica in the first place :/

Mm, yeah, I agree with everything you said, but I actually think Santa Monica should've developed it instead of ND. Both high quality studios.

The reason I'd prefer SM is because we really don't need another GoW game, whereas The Last of Us seems like it's got a lot of people excited. So as far as fleshing out the PS3's library goes, I think SSM would've been the best candidates.

But either way, ND or SSM would've absolutely knocked this project out of the park.
---
If I haven't mentioned Trivio in my post, it's because she is so beautiful and precarious that I just wanted to show her how much she means to me.
#7blazin640Posted 2/6/2013 10:44:56 PM
Chzrm3 posted...
bartz90 posted...

Mm, yeah, I agree with everything you said, but I actually think Santa Monica should've developed it instead of ND. Both high quality studios.

The reason I'd prefer SM is because we really don't need another GoW game, whereas The Last of Us seems like it's got a lot of people excited. So as far as fleshing out the PS3's library goes, I think SSM would've been the best candidates.

But either way, ND or SSM would've absolutely knocked this project out of the park.

But they have no experience with fighting games. The only thing this game did wrong was some balance issues, connectivity, and roster size.

Your assumption to me is disagreeable.
---
There goes my free time
#8blazin640Posted 2/6/2013 10:51:25 PM
TC

Most of what you just said is lack of knowledge.

Patches take forever because of Sony. Even if Superbot finished a patch, Sony still needs to approve it. Not saying its all Sony fault, but you can't blame superbot.

Also Naughty Dog has been around for years. Comparing a new studio to an old one makes little sense. What other studios wouldn't have done with this game is get everyone's movesets right. This game has most characters feel like they do I'm their own games.

The other issues are debatable. Hell there could have been more if another studio did it. Naughty Dog would be a terrible decision.
---
There goes my free time
#9Chzrm3Posted 2/6/2013 10:54:21 PM
blazin640 posted...
Chzrm3 posted...
bartz90 posted...

But they have no experience with fighting games. The only thing this game did wrong was some balance issues, connectivity, and roster size.

Well, when they shifted from "company making a CTF PSN game" to "company making a Playstation IP brawler game", they hired a bunch more people, including Omar Kendell, Seth Killian, and Clock. They basically brought in the fighting game experts, and SSM could've done the same thing.

I'd imagine it was Omar and the others with fighting background who designed the movesets of the characters, not necessarily the core group at Superbot.
---
If I haven't mentioned Trivio in my post, it's because she is so beautiful and precarious that I just wanted to show her how much she means to me.
#10blazin640Posted 2/6/2013 10:57:35 PM
Chzrm3 posted...
blazin640 posted...
Chzrm3 posted...
bartz90 posted...

Well, when they shifted from "company making a CTF PSN game" to "company making a Playstation IP brawler game", they hired a bunch more people, including Omar Kendell, Seth Killian, and Clock. They basically brought in the fighting game experts, and SSM could've done the same thing.

I'd imagine it was Omar and the others with fighting background who designed the movesets of the characters, not necessarily the core group at Superbot.

Ok, that is a good idea. Honestly this should have happened. Idk if I still would have liked the game but it would probably survive longer.
---
There goes my free time