Do you think this would have gotten as much hate if it was Sega All-Stars?

#21DreamsaberPosted 2/8/2013 10:30:07 AM
Habefiet posted...
As a diehard fan of old school Sonic games and owner-of-several-collections-of-Genesis-games (Kid Chameleon for life, why that game never got a sequel I'll never know), I believe you misinterpreted me. I did not say that Sega fans don't care much about Sega characters, I said there aren't many Sega fans in general. I'm sure all five Shinobi fanboys are utterly devoted, but how many of them really are there? Sega All-Stars would have just as much trouble arousing passion as Sony All-Stars.
Oh, that's a different problem. If you pool all the fans then you might have a sizable sale figure. I think one has to consider the real world and say that Sega fans are more open to crossovers right now. This is the first notable Sony crossover ever, while Sonic Team has been including guest characters for years. People will buy a different genre (eg fighter) as long as it includes their favorite Sega character. Conversely, this game "alienated" some DMC fans by including DmC Dante, and the FPS cast members probably didn't entice their respective audiences to get this game. I don't know how to go about estimating the audience, but regardless I guess it would result in the same amount of hate. The only thing that might be different is the specific-character-hate we see; fewer people would complain about Billy Hatcher's obscurity since he's guest starred before. There'd still be topics about the lack of Mighty, Gemerl, Jack Cayman, or whoever.
---
You opened a debate, and I'll be damned if you're not going to finish it. ~smashbrother3
#22Johnbobb(Topic Creator)Posted 2/8/2013 10:37:12 AM
Habefiet posted...
3. Does ANYONE like Sega anymore? As like, a fanboy? Who would defendSega All-Stars? The last Sonic fanboys that legitly liked every 3D Sonic including the terrible ones?

I still like Sega. I grew up on a Sega Genesis and Dreamcast, and I actually love the 3D Sonic games (for the most part, excluding '06 and the Werehog sections of Unleashed)
---
PSN/Steam: CheddarBBQ
http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lqz6jrOvvK1qd3p2to1_500.gif
#23chocolatemc42Posted 2/8/2013 10:50:39 AM
I've been suggesting this forever.

Sonic
Tails
Alex Kidd
Bug
Nights
Ristar
Sketch Turner
Upa Upa
Dural
Ax Battler
Joe Musashi
Nel (Phantasy Star II)
Ryo
Prince Ash (Hell Yeah)
AiAi
Gum
Zobiko
Toejam & Earl
Bean (Sonic Fighters)
Eternal Champion
Streets of Rage rep
Clockwork Knight rep
Shining Force rep
Panzer Dragoon Saga main character
Bayonetta
Bonanza Bros
Yakuza Rep
Fighting Vipers rep
Burning Rangers rep
Rent A Hero rep
Segata Sanshiro
Anarchy Reigns rep

There's room for more. This would be EPIC.
---
Not changing this sig till we get a proper Mega Man sequel!
PSN: Michael_Thomas09
#24HabefietPosted 2/8/2013 11:00:45 AM
chocolatemc42 posted...

Needs a few more Sonic reps, Vectorman, and Kid Chameleon

Look, I ****ing love a good deal of Sega games, I loved the Sonic Adventure games, this that the other, yada yada yada, and maybe I exaggerated a little too heavily for the point, but I mean. Be honest with yourselves, do you really think the following things:

1. That there are enough diehard Sega loyalists remaining for the game to be sufficiently more interesting to a global market than a Sony game for Sony loyalists.
2. That the game would get any less hate than PSASBR if it had everything else the same but had Sega characters/stages instead of Sony characters/stages

Because I don't.
#25chocolatemc42Posted 2/8/2013 11:19:13 AM
Habefiet posted...
chocolatemc42 posted...

Needs a few more Sonic reps, Vectorman, and Kid Chameleon

Look, I ****ing love a good deal of Sega games, I loved the Sonic Adventure games, this that the other, yada yada yada, and maybe I exaggerated a little too heavily for the point, but I mean. Be honest with yourselves, do you really think the following things:

1. That there are enough diehard Sega loyalists remaining for the game to be sufficiently more interesting to a global market than a Sony game for Sony loyalists.
2. That the game would get any less hate than PSASBR if it had everything else the same but had Sega characters/stages instead of Sony characters/stages

Because I don't.

I do. I believe in the power of long lasting endearing characters, and I believe in the power of nostalgia. If you play a game like this, seeing a classic character from a game you loved makes you feel something special. It's a sense of nostalgic wonder and fun.

COMBINING that with the modern flash is what MAKES Smash so much fun. Not just the gameplay, but also the surprising unlockables, the trophies full of referential information about classic characters and items. It's a playable Nintendo museum. A love letter to fans past AND present. Superbot didn't GET that. Sega has shown, I think, through the all star games, That they DO get it. Also I think fans would have been slightly more forgiving for slight imperfections.
---
#26chocolatemc42Posted 2/8/2013 11:24:28 AM
Like Nintendo, Sega has a number of long running franchises, some new ones, and a handful of lesser knowns, and they aren't afraid to tap into that vault of characters.

Also, to my list, add

Billy Hatcher
Kid Chameleon
---
#27blaze19_0XPosted 2/8/2013 11:27:32 AM
And I don't necessarily agree. Nobody has been able to take down Smash Bros, but nobody really needs to. PSASBR showed that it's possible to make a game of the genre and still gain a huge fanbase who love the game. I think that Sega should make one.

PSASBR does not have a huge fanbase. Otherwise the game would not have flopped so badly.
#28chocolatemc42Posted 2/8/2013 11:28:45 AM
Oh, and Eggman and Vectorman. That's 36 characters. A FAR cry more than a certain game provided, and most characters would play and feel unique.
---