Sly Cooper guide for people who want to learn him.

#1Heroicmedic92Posted 2/7/2013 11:48:43 AM(edited)
You can skip the introduction and go down to see combos and matchups.

Introduction
Sly Cooper isnít a combo oriented character like Kratos or Raiden. This does not make him less useful however. He does not rely on brute force and instead relies on taking advantage of stealth and stealing AP using his backstabbing technique (which I will explain later). He is the only character in the game without a guard and instead uses invisibility instead to help achieve his backstabbing technique.
--------------------------------
HIS MOVESET AND USES
--------------------------------

Ground
Square (Twice) : Fast, and can interrupt characters without a fast move to rival it. Good against characters like Ratchet. Provides 10 AP. Better used behind someone to utilize his backstabbing technique.

Square (Twice, behind) : Steals 20 AP (unstealthed) and 40 AP (stealthed). You always want to land this in a match because it nets you 50 AP and steals 40 AP from the enemy. You can use this as soon as you decoy someone as a combo

Forward Square : Fast and can leap over danger such as mines. Provides 10 AP
Up Square (Twice) : Good for catching people in the air. If you can predict a jump, use this. Provides 40 AP when you hit the enemy twice.

Down Square : An attack which hits front and back, and is fast. Good for combos (which I will explain further later on) . You can catch wake up rolls with this attack. Provides 20 AP

Down Square (Charge) : Slyís guard breaker move. Excellent for wake up mind games. Be careful for using this against characters with counters through. You can jump cancel this providing mind games. Provides 30 AP and can be combed for more AP with walls.

Triangle: Stuns the person in place. Alarm clock is excellent because it provides Sly a way to hit confirm his level 1. You can also combo off it.

Up triangle : Slyís teleport. Useful for getting out of setups such as Ratchets super 1 and can be used to get behind someone quickly and backstabbing them. You can go left and right and if you are close enough, neutral version teleports you directly behind the person.

Forward triangle: Safe on block and provides 30 AP. It does have notable start up time so donít abuse it too much. Good for doing a combo with walls involving down square and following up with forward triangle. As soon as they bounce off the wall, follow up with air forward triangle which nets a total of 80 AP.

Down triangle : Reverses controls and nets you 10 AP. Pretty useful. You can use this for predicting rolls, or from a high ledge.

Circle: Slyís counter. The best counter in the game hands down. He instantly teleports and stuns the person in place, wherever they are on the map. You can link super 1 or a backstab off the counter. However if a person is moving fast, sometimes sly wont catch them so watch out for that. Provides 10 AP.

Forward circle : Good for catching attacks that come directly to you. Examples include Raidenís dive kicks, Toro dive kick, Parappaís forward triangle move, etc. Provides 10 AP.

Up circle : Anti projectile move. Reflects projectiles. Can detonate and hit someone if close enough. Provides 30 AP and can immediately follow up a combo if a wall is nearby.

Down circle : A ground mine similar to Sweet Toothís. Provides 20 AP if someone steps on it.

AIR VERSIONS

Square: This move can spike and force a person to hit the ground. Provides 20 AP. Good for forcing a person to deal with Slyís wake up games.

Forward square : Same thing for ground.

Up square: Same thing for ground

Down square: Sly swoops down and hits the floor which provides 20 AP. I find this particularly useful in 2s. Lets say your teammate gets caught in ratchets level 1 setup. You can quickly save him with this.

PLEASE DONT POST YET
---
PSN: Heroicmoises
999 Parappa, 999 Fat princess.999 Sly. Done with Sly maybe
#2Heroicmedic92(Topic Creator)Posted 2/7/2013 12:52:27 PM(edited)
Triangle: You can link level 1 off this if you land this right before you hit the ground. Aside from that, I donít find this too useful outside of combos.

Up triangle: Can only use this once in the air so Iíd recommend using this on the ground.

Right triangle: Usually the move I use in air combat. Provides 30 ap and hits in front of him. Pretty useful.

Down triangle: Slyís air version of his confuse bomb. He does not throw it through. It does have some startup time so I do not recommend using this outside of combos.

Circle: Slyís air version of his counter. Good for using it against a move like Ratchetís warmonger.

Forward circle: Pretty much the same.

Up circle: Pretty much the same.

Down circle: Pretty much the same except he goes downwards instead of straight.
------------------------
SUPERS
-------------------------
1: 150 AP. Considered to be the best super 1 in the game. Cannot be interrupted. Can be hit confirmed (see below). It can be used to punish
- Evil coleís giga punch
- Raidens forward circle

2: 325 AP. Can be hit confirmed. Best used immediately after you get a hard knock down. Outside from that, not too useful. Save up for his 3.

3. 675 AP. Probably the second best super 3 in the game. All I can say is that there is a little trick to using this. Bait out dodges by putting people in the frame to scare them, then take a picture.
COMBOS
SUPER 1 HIT CONFIRMS
Circle, SUPER 1
Triangle, SUPER 1
(air) Triangle (close to ground), SUPER 1
Forward circle, SUPER 1

SUPER 2 HIT CONFIRMS
Near wall, up grab, jump, air triangle, SUPER 2
Circle, SUPER 2
Triangle, SUPER 2

Down square, Up square (Twice). 60 AP
With wall, Down square, Forward triangle, jump, (air) Forward triangle. 80 AP
Triangle, Up triangle, Square (Twice, behind). 50 AP (steals 40 AP)
Up throw, jump, (air) triangle, (air) Forward triangle. 40 AP.
Up throw, jump, (air) down triangle. 10 AP.
With wall, circle, Square (Twice, behind), jump, (air) forward triangle. Steals 40 AP and nets you 85 AP.

-----------------------------------------------------
THINGS YOU MAY NOT KNOW ABOUT SLY
----------------------------------------------------
- His duck can help him evade certain stuff like Jakís machine gun or Raidenís super 1.
- He has the fastest grab in the game.
---
#3Heroicmedic92(Topic Creator)Posted 2/7/2013 11:49:42 AM(edited)
------------------------
MATCHUPS
------------------------
Good Cole: Use counter to deal with his air tethers and punish. You can deflect his grenades with Slyís anti projectile move up circle. Not too hard of a matchup at all. Seems neutral.

Sackboy: Use his explosive barrel to deflect his cakes and jam sessions. You can use alarm clock to deal with his electric trap. If a Sackboy sees this and tries to jet pack you, mix it up with his level 1 and punish. Easy matchup for sly.

Drake: Use the explosive barrel (up circle) to bounce his barrels back at him. You can also deflect his run n gun bullets with this. If he attempts to melee you, detonate. If he has level 1, keep your distance and you wont get hit by it. If he jumps in the air and tries to rock fall you, have a mine out so he will fall on it.

Evil Cole. Slyís worst matchup. Since Sly lacks a guard button, its hard to deal with giga punch. Teleport works wonders in this matchup. If he tries to giga punch you have three options
1. Super 1
2. Teleport
3. Counter
Aside from that, watch out using the explosive barrel if he has his giga punch.

Spike: Use the explosive barrel to make his bananas yours. Explosive barrel cannot deflect his boomerang so look out for that.

Raiden: Use his electric slide (forward circle) to deal with his dive kicks. If you can predict a square attack, just simply counter. The matchup seems straight forward.

Radec: Use counter if he tries to snipe you. You can also approach him with the explosive barrel. Melee attacks and flame thrower will still hit you so watch out.

Toro: Use the electric slide to deal with his dive kicks. If he tries to throw ninja stars from the ground as a anti air, counter or teleport out of the way.

Jak: You can duck under his machine gun. If he tries to do his concussion wave on your wakeup, super 2.

Ratchet: Since most of his moves come out slow, you can use neutral square to harass him. If he tries to use the suck cannon on wake up, super 1 and punish. Try to not be in the air. If he gets you in the level 1 set up, teleport out. It should work provided hes not directly on your body.

...k i think thats it :D
---
#4Heroicmedic92(Topic Creator)Posted 2/7/2013 12:33:39 PM
Reuploaded because I deleted the old one by accident lol
---
#5dadkwasherePosted 2/7/2013 12:39:42 PM(edited)
I would prefer a anti sly guide- how to beat him. I know you main him so id appreciate that. I is scared of the Coopah.
Still, good guide. Id sticky it but it would be biased to. I would make a Faq abour it as a, sly guide.
EDIT: I mean because with 20 characters other chsracters need guides too, thats why I suggest make it a faq.
---
Raiden: NRAGH why is I no loved?
Big Boss: You need to find a more political solution...tasty.
#6Heroicmedic92(Topic Creator)Posted 2/7/2013 12:59:42 PM
dadkwashere posted...
I would prefer a anti sly guide- how to beat him. I know you main him so id appreciate that. I is scared of the Coopah.
Still, good guide. Id sticky it but it would be biased to. I would make a Faq abour it as a, sly guide.
EDIT: I mean because with 20 characters other chsracters need guides too, thats why I suggest make it a faq.

IDK i have never made one before lol
---
#7dadkwasherePosted 2/7/2013 1:14:32 PM
Heroicmedic92 posted...
dadkwashere posted...

Dont worry this, is definitely faq material. Just follow the guidelines on how to make faqs and you'll do splendidly.
You put effort into this guide so you shouldnt let it go to waste.
---
Raiden: NRAGH why is I no loved?
Big Boss: You need to find a more political solution...tasty.
#8Heroicmedic92(Topic Creator)Posted 2/7/2013 2:42:47 PM
dadkwashere posted...
Heroicmedic92 posted...
dadkwashere posted...

Dont worry this, is definitely faq material. Just follow the guidelines on how to make faqs and you'll do splendidly.
You put effort into this guide so you shouldnt let it go to waste.

lol thanks
---
#9dabuzPosted 2/7/2013 2:46:51 PM
TY for this, it's really useful.
---
Looking for a competitive hub for Playstation All Stars? Want tournaments and events with CASH PRIZES? Visit this site: http://allstararena.com/
psn: dabuz18
#10GameNerd1994Posted 2/7/2013 3:30:54 PM
[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]