Why did this game have such a low budget anyways?

#1yamas11Posted 2/8/2013 11:40:38 AM
You would think that a game that combines many of Sony's big name stars would get one of the highest budgets available.
---
This is my sig
#2KindertotenwaldPosted 2/8/2013 11:50:16 AM
Yeah I don't understand why money wasn't throw at this game.
---
PSASBR: Big Daddy
PSN: Omnisignificance
#3deredePosted 2/8/2013 11:52:37 AM
The first Smash Bros had a small budget as well.
---
Read my awesome webcomic: http://randomthecomic.smackjeeves.com/
PSN: derede1
#4Chzrm3Posted 2/8/2013 11:53:43 AM
It didn't, actually. If you beat the game, look at the credits - they go on for like 30 minutes. O_O

A ton of people were involved in this. Superbot had SSM helped them, which is a really high quality studio. Everything was just really inefficiently managed. In interviews, Superbot mentioned that they had to scrap the Prince from Katamari Damacy because they couldn't figure out a way to make him work, and decided to do Heihachi instead. There's also videos of old levels (like a train from Uncharted 2) that were just completely removed from the game, even though they looked nearly-completed.

This is what happens when you don't take game development seriously, and think you can just make/remove whatever you feel like.
---
If I haven't mentioned Trivio in my post, it's because she is so beautiful and precarious that I just wanted to show her how much she means to me.
#5CAW EvolutionPosted 2/8/2013 11:55:50 AM
Chzrm3 posted...
In interviews, Superbot mentioned that they had to scrap the Prince from Katamari Damacy because they couldn't figure out a way to make him work, and decided to do Heihachi instead.

Uh, they never said that.
#6Chzrm3Posted 2/8/2013 11:58:01 AM
CAW Evolution posted...
Chzrm3 posted...
In interviews, Superbot mentioned that they had to scrap the Prince from Katamari Damacy because they couldn't figure out a way to make him work, and decided to do Heihachi instead.

Yeah, there's an interview with Seth where he flat out says exactly that. I'm not going to bother digging it up because I really couldn't care less, but it's true.
---
If I haven't mentioned Trivio in my post, it's because she is so beautiful and precarious that I just wanted to show her how much she means to me.
#7PS2SnakePosted 2/8/2013 12:07:13 PM
Chzrm3 posted...
CAW Evolution posted...
Chzrm3 posted...

Yeah, there's an interview with Seth where he flat out says exactly that. I'm not going to bother digging it up because I really couldn't care less, but it's true.

He mentions the first part about katamari but never says they replaced him with heicachi
---
PS3 ID: SolidZ
#8CAW EvolutionPosted 2/8/2013 12:28:51 PM
Chzrm3 posted...
CAW Evolution posted...
Chzrm3 posted...

http://www.pushsquare.com/news/2012/11/interview_trading_punches_with_playstation_all_stars_seth_killian?page=2

Nope.
#9blaze19_0XPosted 2/8/2013 12:30:45 PM
Chrzym just because a lot of outside people were involved with this because of liscensing and what not, doesn't neccessarily mean the game had a huge budget.

With that being said I have seen indie developed games with more polish than this so they have no excuse either way.

And I do agree they horribly mismanaged the resources they did have. They could have never made mashups and no one would have missed them. Could have spent that time on more worthwhile features. And those lost levels/stages they scrapped should definitely have made it into the full game.
#10kingtracePosted 2/8/2013 12:32:09 PM
CAW Evolution posted...
Chzrm3 posted...
CAW Evolution posted...
Chzrm3 posted...

http://www.pushsquare.com/news/2012/11/interview_trading_punches_with_playstation_all_stars_seth_killian?page=2

Nope.

Ouch, straight pwned.